plaese help humber jewel in need of last coat of urathane

slickster2

Seaman
View attachment 56824

toms boat#2.jpg

toms boat#3.jpg

View attachment 56827

View attachment 56828ATTACH]56824[/ATTACH] hi all i just signed up to get some advice i'm in the process of finishing my 12 foot 1972 humber jewel and i'm down to the last coat of helmsman spar urathane all is going great but the finish coat the hull turned out great but can't get the top to look as good, first time painting anything for that matter but would like to know how to get the top done tried rolling it on with foam roller, brushing with foam brush, used urathane rollers, even hair brushed, and even tried thinning and still looks bad please send some advice if you have any my way thanks in advance to all who read this. tom

Attachments

• tom 2.jpg
    tom 2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 2
  • tom's 3.jpg
    tom's 3.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1
  • toms boat#4.jpg
    toms boat#4.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: humber jewel

Try using a flow agent that will help slow down the dry time of the paint. Thinning with normal thinner won't help too much. Was the boat out of sunlight and the surface cool as you coated it?

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: plaese help humber jewel

Another option if you have an air compressor would be to go to the tool store and buy an automotive touch up gun. You can spray the finish with a small air compressor, it will take a lot of filling up the cup, but you can get a professional finish if you prep everything and work quickly. The sprayers can usually be bought for around 25 dollars

slickster2

Seaman

hi there thanks i do have a compressor and a gun I'v even tried it but to over spray gets everywhere i'm doing it outside so what would i use as a thinner i'm using paint thinner now and still looks like crap ty from tom

slickster2

Seaman

Try using a flow agent that will help slow down the dry time of the paint. Thinning with normal thinner won't help too much. Was the boat out of sunlight and the surface cool as you coated it?

no was in a shaddy spot and the temp was warm so ya it dried to fast not sure would building up the coats help ty it the last coat of urathane paint is great thanks

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the finish is rough, sand the paint smooth. There are a number of different flow agents available, you'd want to double check to make sure they're compatible with your paint first before using. Helmsman spar urethane sometimes takes a couple of coats with a bit of sanding between every other coat to get a perfect finish. You'll want to apply a heavy coat, remember paint is a material, not just a color.

BG BOATER

Seaman Apprentice
Re: plaese help humber jewel in need of last coat of urathane

Hi, Nice old boat. I would love to see the progress on your restore of this boat. Have fun.:D

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

that is one bad ***** looking boat....i keep looking around for my next boat to restore....i think think i have just found it

post any pics you have of your restoration

slickster2

Seaman

Hi, Nice old boat. I would love to see the progress on your restore of this boat. Have fun.:D

down to the last coat of urathane and having trouble with it its helmsman spar marine and pix are comming soon just need to find cable for camera last coat just wont lay flat ty

slickster2

Seaman

hi there there are new pix if you get them please reply so i know if others can see the new restoration and add help as well ty. tom

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I see 'em, nice looking boat! I didn't realize you live in Bancroft, I'm just in Ottawa, if you're really stuck and need help I might be able to pop by for a visit and lend a hand.

slickster2

Seaman

I see 'em, nice looking boat! I didn't realize you live in Bancroft, I'm just in Ottawa, if you're really stuck and need help I might be able to pop by for a visit and lend a hand.

hi there last coat went on awesome but on the back side part got two big runs other the that swesome job can you guide me threw the steps to taking them out {don't want to try another spray and mess it up }was reading about fine sanding then buffing but not sure what that involves do i have to have an electric buffing machine ect ect ty

38special

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi there last coat went on awesome but on the back side part got two big runs other the that swesome job can you guide me threw the steps to taking them out {don't want to try another spray and mess it up }was reading about fine sanding then buffing but not sure what that involves do i have to have an electric buffing machine ect ect ty

If you used a hardener with your paint let it dry for a couple of weeks then take a razor blade and start scraping the runs lightly. Stay on the highest part of the run each time you scrape. Pretty soon it will come down flat with the rest of the paint. Buff with a good glazing compound and you should not be able to see the runs anymore.

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

That, or... Buy a 5 dollar fine paint file from Princess Auto, they look like this:

sg-89790-nib-file.jpg

It should take the runs off when used properly, and then you can buff. I'd trust the file a bit more than a razor blade. One snag and you've cut a huge chunk of paint out.

slickster2

Seaman

That, or... Buy a 5 dollar fine paint file from Princess Auto, they look like this:

sg-89790-nib-file.jpg

It should take the runs off when used properly, and then you can buff. I'd trust the file a bit more than a razor blade. One snag and you've cut a huge chunk of paint out.

great. with the tool where can i get one, and as for buffing do i need buffing machine and some type of compound or sand paper ect ect Ps seen the boat you are restoring, SWEET might go bigger some day after i get the restoration thing under my belt thanks so much for your time and advice would like to see pix of your work as you go along ty

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can get this at Princess Auto, or possibly other auto parts stores. PA can deliver it to you if you don't feel like driving the 3 hours into the city. You will need an electric buffer, get a big dewalt or at the least the Simoniz type (99.99) at Canadian Tire. Random orbit polishers will NOT give you enough power to buff anything except wax, so don't cheap out. Get a good quality Buffer meant to do the job. Get a good quality polishing compound, I prefer 3M products myself, apply it similar to wax. Buff with a sponge wheel, unless the bottle directs you otherwise. Don't spend so much time on one spot as you can burn through your new paint job. Buffing the entire boat will give you a beautiful shine.

38special

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sg-89790-nib-file.jpg

I could see the razor blade snaging if you pointed the sharp edge down and started scraping down but thats not how it is done, i should have been more clear.

The sharp edge of the razor is pointed up slightly and pulled downward with the sharp edge lightly draging on the run. No chance of gouging your paint and it would seem to me easier to see exactly what you are scraping then the paint file. Easier to stay on the run but then again i have never used a pain file, it may well work better than the razor how ever the razor works perfect for getting rid of the run when used carefully.

slickster2

Seaman

that is one bad ***** looking boat....i keep looking around for my next boat to restore....i think think i have just found it

post any pics you have of your restoration

wow dude you are talented nice work on the seat

slickster2

Seaman

got some on here just finisher the last coat of urathane looks awesome now trying to finishe 40 horse johnson ps old pix are here somewhere lol can you get to my album here ty

Attachments

• toms new  finished paint job 1.jpg
    toms new finished paint job 1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 0
  • toms new finished  paint job 2.jpg
    toms new finished paint job 2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 0
  • toms motor 3.jpg
    toms motor 3.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 0
  • toms motor 2.jpg
    toms motor 2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 0

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks great! Glad to see you figured it out.