Poor Man Restoration - 1979 Marquis Catalina

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Poor Man Restoration - 1979 Marquis Catalina

Tonight I was able to take the air intake, VRO, and carbs off. I forgot how much of a pain in the rear it is getting to the lower nuts on the carbs. Not as bad as the shift rod connection screw, but still a pain.

So here's what the motor looks like now. I'll be installing the new premix pump, new hoses, and do a carb cleaning on it over the next couple of days.

IMG_0144.jpg

FBPirate95

Boy did I strike gold during lunch! I went to a local boat repair shop, whom I just recently found out had a small parts store attatched to it. I originally went in to get some fuel hoses for the new pump, but decided to look around and see what they had.

What has been bothering the most here lately is how I was going to get my epoxied transom piece glued to the skin of the boat. Well low and behold, on the shelf was a new West System epoxy....a thickened version....in a cauking tube. Its called Six10. You can find more info here:

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/six10-thickened-epoxy-adhesive/

This stuff looks to be exactly what I needed. Its a two part epoxy which you use a cauking gun to apply. The material travels through a static mixer and goes on thick with no sag. I bought two tubes and will be putting it to the test this weekend when I slide my new transom in.

I'll report back on how well it works.

JAFO1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let us know the Durabak works. I'm doing a similar resto on an old Skeeter and am thinking about using Durabak. Are you going with the smooth or rough?

FBPirate95

Let us know the Durabak works. I'm doing a similar resto on an old Skeeter and am thinking about using Durabak. Are you going with the smooth or rough?

I probably won't get to the Duraback until next week sometime. But I am going with the rough. This weekend I'm going to get everything sanded, and just prior to applying it, I'll wipe it down with Xylene like it recommends. From everything I've read, and watched on youtube, it seems to go on easily and works well.

I will keep ya posted though.

FBPirate95

I just wanted to send out a special thanks to Tashasdaddy for showing me how to rebuild my carbs last summer. Also to this thread he created:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=244013

In it he shows how to make your own special jet removal tool for a Johnson outboard. I used his drawing and made my own tool. I got to use it tonight for the very first time and it worked like a champ. Thanks TD

IMG_0146.jpg

FBPirate95

Decided to focus on the outboard today. I installed the new premix pump, new fuel lines, new battery cables, and took my older lower unit off. I have a replacement lower unit, that I'm pretty sure is compatible, so I installed it to see how it fits. I've noticed the flywheel is a lot harder to turn by hand now. I'm working with Tashasdaddy to make sure it is a proper replacement in kind before I try firing her off.

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

FBPirate95

Its sad to say my restoration is going to be the end of my boating year without it even starting. Schools is starting back up, and my wife just had to pay her tuition and we've done the school shopping with the three kids. Basically we're kinda tapped on finances. Not to mention the weather hasn't been cooperating. Heat index has been above 100 degrees with thundershowers in the evening. I'm going to continue working on the boat through the fall and winter.

I'm not too bummed about it. It will allow me to re-work the bow seating and interior panels prior to getting her into the water.

DocEagle

Recruit

Poor Man Restoration, First off nice job on the documentation of your activities. Just bought a 1979 Wellcraft V-20, hull is in great shape but needs a transom and some deck work. Not sure about the stringers. I followed your transom repair, looks like what I have planned, fairly straight forward? Pulling the 1989 Johnson 150 off my deck boat, should be a good combo. Looking forward to seeing your continuing restore, thanks for the postings.

FBPirate95

Poor Man Restoration, First off nice job on the documentation of your activities. Just bought a 1979 Wellcraft V-20, hull is in great shape but needs a transom and some deck work. Not sure about the stringers. I followed your transom repair, looks like what I have planned, fairly straight forward? Pulling the 1989 Johnson 150 off my deck boat, should be a good combo. Looking forward to seeing your continuing restore, thanks for the postings.

Thanks. Good luck on your project. Like I said, I'm going to be slowly working on her until next summer. I'm a little bummed about it, but not much can be done.

manstang46

Recruit

looks like you and I are going to be working on the same boat!! except mine has the mercruiser 3.0L I/O........and needs a lot more work:(

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class

A couple of miles down the road I looked back and could see that the 2x6's that the outboard was mounted to had pulled loose from one of the risers.

Just wanna to share.

I been throught the same thing 6 months ago when transferring a 85HP motor. It was my first time and wasn't anticipating the a 85HP outboard could weight 250lb. My motor mount was put together with framing nail only. Whata bad idea. It may have work ok for a kicker motor, but not for a 85HP outboard.

My friend and I mounted the motor on to the motor stand and lifted on to the back of his pickup. Drive 10 miles back to my house. Unloaded the entire load off the pickup and into my garage. Just as we push the motor into the corner and turn around congratulate each other for a job well done. The motor horizontal piece fall off the riser. I took a quick step to catch the motor and screaming for help to hold the 250lb motor up right.

After we finally lay the motor on the floor, I reinforce the the horizontal piece with 6 deck screws, 10 framing name and two 3/8" carriage bolt. Oh also up the 2x4 to 2x8.

That was a close one. Could have lost the entire load on our way back. :eek:

FBPirate95

Just wanna to share.

I been throught the same thing 6 months ago when transferring a 85HP motor. It was my first time and wasn't anticipating the a 85HP outboard could weight 250lb. My motor mount was put together with framing nail only. Whata bad idea. It may have work ok for a kicker motor, but not for a 85HP outboard.

My friend and I mounted the motor on to the motor stand and lifted on to the back of his pickup. Drive 10 miles back to my house. Unloaded the entire load off the pickup and into my garage. Just as we push the motor into the corner and turn around congratulate each other for a job well done. The motor horizontal piece fall off the riser. I took a quick step to catch the motor and screaming for help to hold the 250lb motor up right.

After we finally lay the motor on the floor, I reinforce the the horizontal piece with 6 deck screws, 10 framing name and two 3/8" carriage bolt. Oh also up the 2x4 to 2x8.

That was a close one. Could have lost the entire load on our way back. :eek:

Yup, we're in the same club. Seeing how the thread to make the outboard stand is locked, maybe one of our all knowing mods can make a note in there that states you really should beef it up if you're going much more than a 55hp outboard. Either with much longer screws, or lag bolting it. A note like that will either save someone from damaging their larger outboard, or damaging themselves as they try to catch it.

Kristopher22

Cadet

Looking good! I just started my retrofit as well, and will be looking to this thread for some ideas! I didn't take into account how much work will need to go into the floor. I guess I kind of thought I would rip out the old ply wood, and put new stuff down and throw some carpet over top...... Guess not!

I also need to do some digging around into the transom to make sure it isn't full of rot.

Keep up the good work!

PS. My 2 year old daughter likes to lend a hand as well!

Lil_Stinker

Cadet

New here & checking out other restorations as I embark on my own.. everyone here seems to have great ideas, so I know I will get through my first restore just fine...

Nice work, thanks for sharing..

FBPirate95

Just wanted to give no-needed update. LOL. Nothing has been done on her in a while. But I have been working on getting my garage cleaned up and re-organized so I can do some work over the winter. I have the motor in the garage and will be finishing it up before it gets warm again.

I'm about to take on another small project too. I have my brother's late 70's Montgomery Wards 10hp outboard. She ran great about 2 years ago, but the steering was starting to freeze up. I'm going to break it down over the winter and repair it. I'm also looking for a small jon boat to power with it. We'll see how that goes.

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice job so far. Don't get too sidelined though.

FBPirate95

Come on tax return and warmer weather.......I'm chomping at the bit to get back to work on this 'ol girl and get her finished!

I already have the knots wish list saved and ready to move over to my shopping cart! lol. :D

FBPirate95

Ok folks, after a long hiatus away from iboats and boating in general, I'm back. This week I went back to work on my project boat. I just got a nice order in from iboats to start piecing everything back together. By the end of the week I should have my transom finished and my deck covered with Durabak. I should also have the outboard running. It will be a bittersweet moment for me when I fire the outboard up. The last time I worked on it was with Tashasdaddy's help at his house. As a matter of a fact, the lower unit I'm running is one I bought from him. I still miss him, that's for sure.

FBPirate95

Ever clean your house and work for hours on it and all of a sudden have this feeling that everything is a complete disaster but in reality you're just a moment a way from everything being completely done? That's where I am on the boat. The past couple of days I've been working on filling holes, repairing cracks, finishing up the transom and piecing the outboard back together. I've recently had a big order arrive from iboats and I'm waiting on one to be delievred this week. I've also purchased roughly $250 worth of wiring and connectors to get ready to start re-wiring her. Slowly but surely it's all falling into place.