Evenrude 85 hp 1974 not running well

scoopup

Cadet
I have had the boat in storage for 9 months and it ran fine last year. I cranked it in the garage and seemed OK. In the water it was acted cold ran it a mile or so then went to idle and it cut off. Cranked but sometimes runs OK but then misses. want idle most of the time. I figured it was carbs so i pulled them and noticed a kink in the fuel line. I replaced it and put the carbs back on. It is doing the same thing as before. What should I do next? rebuild carbs? What is the most common problem? Thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evenrude 85 hp 1974 not running well

Do a compression test followed by a spark test - both are done with all sparkplugs out.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=313963&highlight=compression

Examine the ignition coils; if they are cracked, swollen, discolored, or melted, replace them. Make sure that all grounds are clean to bare metal, especially the grounding straps for the rack that holds the ignition coils and powerpack.

scoopup

Cadet

I did notice some green gue runnibg down over the carbs. it is dried but comming from under the flywheel. Is it hard to get the flywheel off?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Test the rectifier as well as the stator.

The flywheel should release with a puller; you will need three Grade 8 or harder screws 5/16 24. The flywheel nut takes 1-5/16 socket- thinwall is best.

If you don't have a flywheel holder you can use the socket as a fulcrum: see the thumbnail.

Attachments

• DSCF0878.JPG
    DSCF0878.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 0

scoopup

Cadet

I got the flywheel off. How do I Test the rectifier and the stator? The coilds do have some cracks. looks like the cracks were sealed by someone.

scoopup

Cadet

The green gue is comming out of the fwd and aft coils on the stator, also both are cracked. I assume the stator is bad? Don't quite understand the test. Can I test the stator without the engine running? I checked between the blk/yellow and yellow wire on the power pack and got .860 ohms. The rectifire is good per the test. Also per below is it suppose to show 150v without the engine running? Sorry a little lost here.

( 2. Check resistance between the Brown/Yellow and the Brown wire. You should read approximately 450-600 ohms. DVA
(peak voltage) should be 150v or more while connected to the power pack.