Keep light plugged in or take them out

Status
Not open for further replies.

trejac

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was wondering do people pull the trailer lights plug out before they back the boat in the water? I have sealed LED lights and when first got the boat I did but I've noticed lately I don't. Thoughts??????

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Keep light plugged in or take them out

LED's are completely waterproof. Your call.
I have the old-fashioned lamps so the 4 pin plug gets pulled every time!

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have regular lights on my trailer and always leave them plugged in. Especially helpful when loading at night. Never have had any problems. I think I may have replaced one or two bulbs in 5 years. Led should be a lot better.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I was wondering do people pull the trailer lights plug out before they back the boat in the water? I have sealed LED lights and when first got the boat I did but I've noticed lately I don't. Thoughts??????

So what do you think happened to the LED's between the time when you bought the boat and now? Did they just magically change to incandescent lights?

My thoughts are the LED gremlins visited you. :D:D:D

Ok, seriously, no you don't need to unplug LED's because they are (supposed to be) waterproof, and do not get hot.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Trailered a baot for many years, never once unplugged the lights to launch and never had a problem.

I night fish so it is really helpful loading to have something to shoot for.

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have never once unplugged my lights. i have always had trailers with incandescent lights. the boat is launched in saltwater weekly, sometimes even twice a week. every year or so i have to replace bulbs (sometimes the whole light), but thats acceptable considering the use i get out of them and the low cost.

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

12v really shouldn't be a big deal to submerge, but the reason you unlug them is cause it is safer for your car 'just in case'. It doesn't take long.

I have sealed LED lights and when first got the boat I did but I've noticed lately I don't. Thoughts??????

I like this quote too. Like it's something that just happened with no action on your part.

skargo

Banned

I recommend searching the forums before starting yet another thread on this subject. :rolleyes:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

This was recently hashed and bashed here..... http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=389187

I will close this one...... what's that expression ..... beating a dead horse!! http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=389187

other_beatingA_DeadHorse.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.