1988 Mercruiser Rebuild Unknown part

lymefire18

Cadet
The picture attached is not my intake manifold but it has the spot on it that I am referring to. It is where the red arrow is pointing. After putting the motor back together we are missing the part that goes there. In this picture it is just a blank plate but on our intake manifold there are two holes in the middle and tubes that go down into the intake manifold. I cannot remember what goes there. could someone help please and let me know what that part that bolts there is??!!
mercrusier intake manifold.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1988 Mercruiser Rebuild Unknown part

Ayuh,... My guess is that where the Choke Stove goes...

lymefire18

Cadet

Any idea what the choke stove looks like. I believe that would make some sense as this is located directly beneath the carb.

lymefire18

Cadet

Thanks a lot! Looking at the carb again I see it has a wire going into the choke... So if this means it's an electric choke?... then I could just block off the spot for the choke stove correct?

haulnazz15

Captain

Should have 2-wires going to the choke shouldn't it?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Should have 2-wires going to the choke shouldn't it?

One purple wire. The other 'wire' is the carb body connection to the engine block, ground...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Correct. If it were a hot air choke there would be a metal tube in that block-off plate that went to the center of the black choke adjustment disc on the carb. Another type of choke mechanism used a bi-metalic unit that sat in that cavity. A linkage rod went up to the carb. Yours is definitely electric however.

haulnazz15

Captain

One purple wire. The other 'wire' is the carb body connection to the engine block, ground...

That's what the second wire is then, I was sure I had two wires going to it.

achris

That's what the second wire is then, I was sure I had two wires going to it.

Some engine did have a second wire, a black one. It was screwed to the body of the electric choke unit as a ground... It was dropped later as redundant...

Chris........

lymefire18

Cadet

Okay this is making much more sense now. I have the purple and black wire... However there is a third wire and I don't know where it goes... Could it have possibly been part of the old setup?

achris

Okay this is making much more sense now. I have the purple and black wire... However there is a third wire and I don't know where it goes... Could it have possibly been part of the old setup?

What colour?

lymefire18

Cadet

I'm pretty sure it's white... I'd have to look again at it to make sure but it may have a colored stripe on it as well.... It is the same length as the other two wires that go to the choke.

lymefire18

Cadet

The extra wire is brown... Comes from the same spot as the wires for the electric carb and it's about the same length