1991 40 hp Evinrude - location of neutral switch

tuckatucker

Cadet
I have rebuilt this motor from a boxes of parts. I have it all assembled but turning the key does nothing. Power choke works/clicks. I jumped direct to starter and it works fine. Solenoid works when I jump from key hot to main hot.

I am certain that the circuit is broke somewhere and I am 95% sure it is the neutral cut out switch. 1. Problem is I dont know where is it supposed to be (in the control box or at the cable hook up on the motor). Or what is looks like. I know the 1980s had an actual switch in the control box but I dont see anything like that in mine.

I have looked through the parts diagrams on evinrude.com and I cant find a neutral switch. My Seloc manual is no help.

Could someone tell me where this thing is supposed to be and is there someway to bypass it (eventhough) I see no evidence of it. So that I can finally start this motor and hear it run.

Thanks - this has to be one of the very best sites on the web.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 40 hp Evinrude - location of neutral switch

If you have the regular OMC control box, it's within that box. Do not bypass it.

tuckatucker

Cadet

This is a tracker control box which I assume is the same as the standard OMC box.

So on the 1991 model the switch should be a push button cutout switch just like on the 1980s versions?

I dont see any unhooked wires in my control box which further adds to my confusion. I dont even see a place that the switch could be screwed in.

Anyone have any ideas?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

find the red wire coming off the starter solenoid to the main wiring harness plug - there's an in-line fuse holder with a 20-amp fuse inside.

tuckatucker

Cadet

Thanks JTex and JReeves. The problem was the neutral switch and it is located inside the control panel. The tracker control panel is riveted to a sheet metal fake wall of sorts. Anyway the switch is behind that wall. In trying to take the rest of the control apart I kept wiggling the shifting mechanism and tried the starter and it engaged.

Cant wait for work to be done so I can go home and start it.