Water toys

pat8839

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, I'm new to boating and wanted to know what your favorite water toys are. I have a wakeboard and bought 2 tubes (because that's hilarious) but was curious what keeps everyone else entertained on the water.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Water toys

People with tubes are annoying... don't own them, won't pull them.

We have a wakeboard and a couple sets of ski's. Noodles are a 'must have' for swimming. I also have a SeaDoo Dolphin thats fun to play with.

adamsnez2

Seaman Apprentice

buy a sailboard bottom, without the sail.....
tow it behind boat (even small motors can do this easy, no drag!)

it's called scurfing.

start on stomache like surfing, boat gets going @ whatever speed, you prop to knees, then up and ride it like a surf board...
has no fin in the water so you can wiggle it back and forth easy.
great leg workout if you get tricky with it ;)

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have been into kneeboards since about 1981 and still love them, the new stuff is awesome to ride. About 7 years ago my brother and I pooled our money and bought an airchair. Some of the most fun a person can EVER have behind a boat, they are expensive though. You can find them used pretty reasonable now a days. Of course slalom skiing, used to compete a bit when I was younger no so much now(40) but can still stay with about anyone on the lake. I had a water weenie a long time back a 6 person model that was a blast as well. You can never have too many water toys, he he...

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thing that keeps me most entertained on the water..... my boat, lol. Other than that good music, cold drinks, friends, a couple super soakers, Nerf waterproof football, frisbee, and a few other 'chuckables' is all I need. My friend is really big into wakeboarding, that can be fun too.

I dont mind tubers on the lake but when the are on the river pullin stuff around I agree its a big nussiance.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got to add a kneeboard to your list, that would be my #1 to add to you list. The newer ones with the hooks on them allow beginners to have some success if they can't get up on skis.

Water toys, lets see, here is my list (all of this does not come every trip :rolleyes:):
1 - skis (2 sets of combos, 3 slalom skis)
2- trick skis (one pair)
3- kneeboards ( have 2)
4- wakeboards (have 3)
5- tubes (have 3 different kinds)
6- barefoot wetsuit (for when you just got to ski without anything on your feet)

pat8839

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sickwilly-what types of tubes do you have? Also curious what prop do you have on your boat?

I've got an aluminum 14.5" 19* but believe I should upgrade...

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Guess I'm gettin' old- I don't kneeboard or tube anymore, and haven't skiied in 5 years.
I keep a kayak onboard (Old Town Otter) and occasionally take a R/C boat to fool with.
It's got a Homelite weedwacker engine and a clutch.
red1.jpg

red2.jpg

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have two 2 person tubes where you sit upright, with your feet out in front of you. I like the rider's head to be vertical, as apposed to having them lay down. I think that position is better for the brain and brain stem, and having two I can tow two and have them bounce off each other.

I then also have the Connelly Skul, which can have 4 people sitting upright, or any combination of less people.

I broke down and bought the ultimate IO watersports prop, the mercury hi 5. With my gear ration and engine, I got a 23, but wonder if I should have got a 21.

pat8839

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi five seems to be the consensus. Where did you get yours? How did you decide what degree to get?

The tubes I have are the simple round tubes that you can either sit in feet forward or ride Superman-style.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

I have the big mable tube. Its very stable for young ones and you can pull it 2 different ways, so its kinda like 2 in 1. its a little pricey bit its sturdy and worth it.

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

You didn't say how old your crew is!

My kids loved the tube before they were bog/strong enough to wakeboard and ski. The sit in/on tubes are great for even the littlest riders, the flat tubes offer a more challenging ride. (don't worry about the haters, nothing wrong with the tubes, just keep your distance from others boaters that may not like the wakes).

My son started on 2 ski's, my daughter on the kneeboard. Both have graduated to the wakeboard since, and last year my son started really enjoying slalom skiing. IMHO the slalom is the most difficult of them all, but very rewarding.

We have a lot of company on the boat so we try to make sure there is something for all ages and abilities. If this means we blow up the tubes, so be it. We actually have a towable that is 8' across for towing up to 4 at time. This is still a lot of fun for the kids (they can do it with their friends), even though when we are alone they never use a tube.

As for non-towables, we have noodles, aqua-saddles, and several throwable cushions for just "hanging out" on the lake. I prefer the cushions, you can balance on them with a little practice, and just chill.

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a Connelly FX1 slalom ski, an old Kidder Redline Graphite, O'Brien Wood Comp slalom, O'brien shaped combo, Big Mable and Mable tubes, O'Brien Wakeboard, Hydroslide Kneeboard and several Noodles.

Last edited:

trejac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ARKS I've been thinking about an R/C boat. Got any suggestions?

Water toys, let see.

I have two single person tubes. Awesome for tube battles
I have one wakeboard My sons love
I have one wakeskate New for this season
I have one Kneeboard My favorite toy
I have one four person mega tube made by airhead. This is for the little ones and for my larger family memebers that cannot "fit" on the singel tubes.
My wife.... for the sunsets on the lake. Actually this is best reason to own a boat!!!!!!!!!!!!

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

I will be purchasing a wakeboard and a slalom...and if people can't figure one of those out...they can watch. :)

CATransplant

Admiral

All of my water toys are expected to have fish on the end of them, in them, or help me find them at some point. Some are better than others. Those are the only water toys I need.

P.S. My wife believes firmly that I have enough of said toys. I disagree, of course.

skargo

Banned

I haven't been on skis in probably 10 years, but will probably get a pair this year. We bought a tube last year, hope we don't annoy that one guy here LOL.

I might buy this too,
16135_L1.jpg

pat8839

Petty Officer 1st Class

I haven't been on skis in probably 10 years, but will probably get a pair this year. We bought a tube last year, hope we don't annoy that one guy here LOL.

I might buy this too,
16135_L1.jpg

That hydroslide looks crazy! what's it made out of?