1979 Starcraft Chieftain 18 - rebuild

mark1961

Ensign
Re: 1979 Starcraft Chieftain 18 - rebuild

Thanks jas! I appreciate the encouragement! :)

Hey Mark1961, anythings possible with that bar. I'm gonna call it the "anti-vibration grounding bar".

...and WOW all the way down under! You and Triton II have GOT to post some pics for those of us on the other side of the equator! :D

I for one would love to see where you guys are boating, and what your rigs look like. Got links?

Hawkesbury River is always one of the favourites amongst many (google that one for start). Have just completed a part resto on mine, more to come over winter, i plan on posting some pics in the near future.

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hawkesbury River is always one of the favourites amongst many (google that one for start). Have just completed a part resto on mine, more to come over winter, i plan on posting some pics in the near future.

Wow, beautiful! :D

When I first read "more to come over winter" I thought, "Gee, that's a long way off."...Then it dawned on me...:redface: Winter is right around the corner for you isn't it! :eek:

...and OUR boating season is just beginning! :rolleyes:

Man, you gotta love how the Internet gets your brain thinking globally!

mark1961

Ensign

Wow, beautiful! :D

When I first read "more to come over winter" I thought, "Gee, that's a long way off."...Then it dawned on me...:redface: Winter is right around the corner for you isn't it! :eek:

...and OUR boating season is just beginning! :rolleyes:

Man, you gotta love how the Internet gets your brain thinking globally!

We're almost two thirds of the way thru autumn here and i have to say the weather is still reasonably boating friendly, 26deg C max or 78F in your money here today. It will be cooling off real soon though then we will back into it by September or October so its a pretty short off season. :)

I will be following your resto there mate, that will be a real nice rig when youre done. Good luck.

Triton II

Commander

...and WOW all the way down under! You and Triton II have GOT to post some pics for those of us on the other side of the equator! :D

I for one would love to see where you guys are boating, and what your rigs look like. Got links?

TS, I boat mainly on Moreton Bay. Google Tangalooma! Here's a pic of my big tinny on the beach at Tanga!
IMG_2426-2.jpg

Weather wise, winter's really great here in the Brisbane area 20-25 degrees C and sunny most days. :D

This is my eldest son mucking about in the pristine water.
Tanga3.jpg

And some of the wrecks placed there as artificial reefs/fish habitat.
Tanga1.jpg

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

We're almost two thirds of the way thru autumn here and i have to say the weather is still reasonably boating friendly, 26deg C max or 78F in your money here today. It will be cooling off real soon though then we will back into it by September or October so its a pretty short off season. :)

I will be following your resto there mate, that will be a real nice rig when youre done. Good luck.

Thanks Mark, I'm hoping it turns out as well as what's in my imagination!

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

TS, I boat mainly on Moreton Bay. Google Tangalooma!

Weather wise, winter's really great here in the Brisbane area 20-25 degrees C and sunny most days. :D

That's awesome...white sand beaches...now, how do I get my boat down to Australia? :confused:

Well, I better get some more rebuild stuff on here or somebody's gonna move this thread into another category :rolleyes:

Okay, next up...more paint stripping! :p

Triton II

Commander

Well, I better get some more rebuild stuff on here or somebody's gonna move this thread into another category :rolleyes:

Yep, get on with it... need more pics! :D Good luck with the stripping!

TII

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay, minor update...still stripping paint...:p

Oh, and you wouldn't believe (or maybe you would :p) the amount of mud, nuts, bolts, washers, rivet pieces, etc...that I blew out from behind (and inside) the transom knee brace with my power washer today!!! Wow! :eek:

Other than that, not doing a whole lot since we have company this week-end, but I did buy an electric DA sander. :D

So, the places I used the aircraft stripper on got sanded today with 120 grit then 220 grit, and boy it looks pretty nice. Not shiny, but just that pleasant bright gray color. I'll try to do more on Sunday and get a couple pics posted.

Going to try using some 40 or 60 grit on the transom where there is some minor corrosion, but the rest of the boat is getting stripper and 120/220 grit.

More later this week-end!

TS :)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That's weird I can't quite see all that great progress you are making with those pictures you posted, they are a little fuzzy or something:D

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's weird I can't quite see all that great progress you are making with those pictures you posted, they are a little fuzzy or something:D

Pics on Sunday...I promise ;)

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Right!

Hey HSF, I have plenty o tar. Have you got any feathers left over from the last guy we wrecked?

TS is smart, he'll post up.:D

No, but...the wife has a whole roll of pink ribbon, probably do in a pinch ;)

Yeah, I have faith he'll post up...after all he is a club member! :cool:

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, but...the wife has a whole roll of pink ribbon, probably do in a pinch ;)

Yeah, I have faith he'll post up...after all he is a club member! :cool:

Uh, I guess it's true...there is only one way out of the Starcraft "club" ... :eek:

...note to self...pics on Sunday...pics on Sunday...pics on Sunday...:(

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ha, ha!!

Gosh how could a man ask for more with internet friends like us!

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ha, ha!!

Gosh how could a man ask for more with internet friends like us!

Well, I'm thankful for you guys. I was serious when I said I'm going to need to be nudged to keep this project going...especially if I want to finish it sometime this year! ;)

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay, here are the results of this week-end's work:

IMG_0034-1.jpg

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

...and the underside a bit:

IMG_0035-1.jpg

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class