'73 Starcraft Chieftain project

Status
Not open for further replies.

robnst

Cadet
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, I recently purchased a '73 Chieftain off my father-in-law. I'm going to try and restore it, so any ideas & do's and don'ts you may have will be very helpful. pictures to come......

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: '73' Cheiftian project

Welcome to iboats!

Do's Avoid shortcuts and listen to advice of the people who have done this work before.......

Don't take short cuts, don't band aid things....... do it right the first time. ;)

1973 boat hmmmm what issues does it have? What powers your boat?

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, I recently purchased a 73 cheiftian off my father inlaw. I'm going to try and restore it, so any ideas & do's and dont's you may have will be very helpful. pictures to come......

When you have some free time just start searching through this forum and read some threads that interest you. You will gain so much knowledge you wont believe it!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Congrats on the new rig and welcome! I haven't been around here very long but have quickly found this place to be jam packed with with great info.

Do's and dont's? Well, DO post up photos of your rig, we all love em around here. As for the rest, pour yourself a cup of coffee and start reading - there are a ton of great Starcraft aluminum rebuilds going on around here, you'll be up all night checking them out. Cheers!

robnst

Cadet

Thanks for the welcome and advice, The boat used to be my fatherinlaws, its a 1973 starcraft chieftian, 18.5 feet, 4 cyl-120 hp mercursier. hasnt run it 5 years. I've always loved the boat and I just got sick of it sitting there just wasting away, so I ask to buy it. It turns over and tries to start, I'll clean the carb this weekend to see if that helps. It going to be a nice rebuild project.

robnst

Cadet

Thanks, nice islander, its a sweet boat, I'll be asking you all sorts of questions, I cant believe the info on this site.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks, nice islander, its a sweet boat, I'll be asking you all sorts of questions, I cant believe the info on this site.

Thanks man! Yah, but I am a green horn around here, lots of vets who sure know there stuff reside in these here parts. Have fun!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Welcome! I edited your title to add the word "Starcraft". Watch to see how your thread grows now! You have stumbled upon probably the largest collection of SC enthusiasts on the internet.

robnst

Cadet
Re: '73 Starcraft Chieftain project

Thanks ezmobee, I've been reading and looking at everyones pics, awesome site. I'm looking forward to the rebuild.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome Robnst, looking forward to seeing her and all those great ideas ya plan to implement upon her :D

robnst

Cadet

I'll try and get some pics posted this weekend, it finally stopped raining.......supposed to be high 60's and sunny this weekend.

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

Do? Post Pics! As soon as I can find the cable I'll post mine...

tomynoks

Petty Officer 1st Class

How's the rebuild going??

HotRodHaven

Recruit

I have a 1974 24' Chiefton with a 188 mercruiser (302). I have always liked and owned several aluminum StarCraft Boats and should have this one back in the water very soon. The wood in the transum had some soft spots so I had it professonally replaced. I have only seen 2 others like this on the web in numerous searches. I do not know how many was built but it seems to be very few around .I have been told by local marinas that they have never seen one that big. I would like to post a picture but it does not want to work ?
StarCraft in southern Virginia

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to the forum HotRodHaven. There are LOTS of active Starcraft projects on this forum (have you been down to the Starcraft section yet?) so there's no need to dig up this long dead one. Please start your own thread with some pictures of your project. There's picture posting instructions in the Non-boating technical section of the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.