Am I required to have insurance on my boat?

sleekpete

Cadet
I have a 16' Rinker fish/ski boat. Do I have to have insurance on it, or is it optional?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Am I required to have insurance on my boat?

I don't know of any laws that require insurance, but I am very sure that common sense does.

cribber

Lieutenant

It all depends on where your boat is registered. In Florida, currently you do not need proof of insurance to register a boat. If you are operating a boat that requires a registration you really should cough up the $150-200 a year to ensure you're covered if the worst happens. God forbid you get really hurt out on the water where your auto and or home owner's policy doesn't cover your medical expenses. Or worst, you hurt someone else through your own negligence and lose everything you own to a lawsuit. I'm of the belief if it moves you from point A to B in public... have it insured.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Not required, but at the VERY least you should have a personal liability policy.
The boat won't be protected but YOU will be (from a lawsuit).

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Get at least a liability policy for peace of mind if nothing else.

skargo

Banned

I don't know of any laws that require insurance, but I am very sure that common sense does.

As does a conscience, in my opinion of course. It's cheap people, get it!

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

With all due respect to OP and to the very knowledgable experienced people on this site, your question should be directed to your state, your broker, your lawyer or your common sense.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

With all due respect to OP and to the very knowledgable experienced people on this site, your question should be directed to your state, your broker, your lawyer or your common sense.

LOL - if you ask your insurance broker (who is a salesman by trade) if you should buy more insurance from him, what in the world do you think he'll say? Besides, it's more fun to get opinions on a forum :D

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It all depends on where your boat is registered. In Florida, currently you do not need proof of insurance to register a boat. If you are operating a boat that requires a registration you really should cough up the $150-200 a year to ensure you're covered if the worst happens. God forbid you get really hurt out on the water where your auto and or home owner's policy doesn't cover your medical expenses. Or worst, you hurt someone else through your own negligence and lose everything you own to a lawsuit. I'm of the belief if it moves you from point A to B in public... have it insured.

Fun Times

Staff member

I know at least here in CA, If you finance a used boat from a private party the bank will ask you to get insurance, But they do not check on you to see if it's covered or not, But if you finance a new boat from a dealer then the boat can not leave the store till it is covered.