BaDucK's '74 starcraft 16' SS resto thread

BaDucK

Seaman
ok guys.....
lol, ive sat on my butt long enough, the weather is decent outside so i brought the ol' girl home and am getting started !

CIMG0079.jpg

heres whats left of the placard.....i got 85hp, 1500lbs total max weight

CIMG0070.jpg

CIMG0071.jpg

i already pulled some stuff off of her while she was in storage, but now its time to get busy....

CIMG0073.jpg

CIMG0074.jpg

CIMG0075.jpg

i thought this was going to be the biggest part of the project until i saw under the deck !!

BaDucK

Seaman
Re: BaDucK's '74 starcraft 16' SS resto thread

CIMG0076.jpg

i just wanna cry !, lol, the foam, even after being in inside storage for the last 5 months, is so wet it oozes water like beach sand when you step on it !

CIMG0077.jpg

3 hours !....it took three hours to get this far into it, but as i was finishing up i figured out a faster way....if anyone has any ideas or experience please speak up !!!!!......i hate this crap !!!!!

CIMG0078.jpg

im just looking for sympathy with this shot....lol....did i mention i hate this stuff !! :mad:

BaDucK

Seaman

i hope to have the foam done and gone before the end of the weekend.....mid 70's around here for the rest of the week so shouldnt be too hard, unless i go nuclear messing with FOAM !!!

tallcanadian

Captain

It's a good start. It's amazing what you learn on the way to a great build. Nice boat.

BaDucK

Seaman

CIMG0076.jpg

i think they (PO) raised the deck in the bow area for some reason, can someone who has dug into one of these chime in and let me know if this looks jacked up or not.....

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

I haven't messed with Starcraft's (I know, I know-God forvive me) but that bow section certainly looks odd to me. However, it isn't high enough to serve an actual purpose like a casting deck or something.....beats me.
Good Luck!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

who the HECK put all that darn foam in there? It isn't OEM in '74. ARGH!!!!

BaDucK

Seaman

didnt take any pics yesterday (i took today off) but im about 3/4 of the way done with the rough removal......im thinking a 4" scraper blade to smooth out the last bits.....

how strong of a pressure washer would i need to blast the last remaining "film" of foam off the hull ?

ive decided im going to go with the pink board from HD, and maybe the swim noodles for the curved areas, there will never be sprayed/poured foam in the this boat....EVER AGAIN !!

how do you go about calculating the bouyancy of the foam to know when theres enough ???

Huron Angler

Admiral

It's nice to see another sweet old SS getting new life breathed into her:D

how do you go about calculating the bouyancy of the foam to know when theres enough ???

I'm sure some actuaries or math people could tell you a formula for weight vs displacement vs bouyancy...but with these boats you just put in as much as you can fit and call it good;)

I'm adding a ski locker that will take away some room for foam, but I am also going to keep 8-9 life jackets stored in the bow that will serve as flotation as well.

Nice work so far:)

tlynch99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey looks great, very similar to my boat. Keep up the good work...

TL