Connect gps to radio

doni456

Cadet
My radio has gps connections. What kind of gps can you get that are resonable price that can connect to the radio. All I want is for radio to transmit location in case of problems.

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Connect gps to radio

You need to find out what NMEA standard your radio was built to (0183 or 2000).
Once that is established, buy a GPS that uses the same NMEA interface.
The physical connections are pretty simple, only 4 wires with 0183. Often the bigger problem is figuring out WHICH wire goes where.
I highly recommend you have owners manuals for BOTH devices because it'll make the NMEA interconnection much easier.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

My radio has gps connections. What kind of gps can you get that are resonable price that can connect to the radio. All I want is for radio to transmit location in case of problems.

What brand and model VHF do you have?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Check your radio first and see what NMEA Sentences strings it supports. Most units about the same age will be able to match but not all units. Last you have to set up the same baud rate and parity.

For what it is worth many areas are not set up for rescue 21 yet. Northern California Coast Guard hoping to be operational by October.

You can get a cheap hand held GPS or fixed unit or an expensive fixed unit.

A pretty cheap hand held unit is Lowrance H2O or H20 C.
If your radio is a fixed unit then I would get a Fixed GPS unit. Eagle brand usually resonable.

doni456

Cadet

What Eagle model. Like I said , not looking for anything fancy just abilty to transmit position in case of a emergency.

jhebert

Ensign

doni456

Cadet

How do you connect this unit to my radio. I have two wires which are nmea+ and nmea minus.

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

Most any GPS will connect to your VHF. As an example, I connected my handheld Garmin eTrex Venture (old green unit with B&W screen) to my Uniden Solara DSC. My GPS unit is out of production, but Garmin still sells the data cable on their website. The key will be finding the correct data cable.

jhebert

Ensign

How do you connect this unit to my radio. I have two wires which are nmea+ and nmea minus.

TO connect a NMEA sender device to a NMEA listener device is quite simple. You connect the output signal from the sender to the input port on the listener. The devices will have data sheets which will identify where these signals and ports are located.

doni456

Cadet

My icon radio has two wires for the gps.They are labeled nmea + and nmea -.
I assume you connect the gps data output wire to the + wire and the ground wire of the gps to the nmea - wire . Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

When you get your Gps it will also have NMEA output + plus wire and a NMEA output
- minus wire. Just hook the GPS NMEA output wires to the radios NMEA input wires.
match the + is the data Wire and the - is signal ground.

Next you will need to go into the manual of both units and set them to the same command string. Last match the BUAD Speed.

It will be simple once you get both manuals in front of you.

If you plan on removing the radio and GPS units when you get home then get some polerized connectors so it is easy to disconnect and reconnect for next trip.

kamrinjacobs

Recruit

Thanks for give suggestion.
first i find NMEA standard Then buy a GPS that uses the same NMEA interface.Then connect the wire with radio & then connect gps with ny redio.