1995 Monterey 210 Deck/Stringer Restore

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1995 Monterey 210 Deck/Stringer Restore

Looking good David. Your moving right along..still watching snow freeze here, melts for an hour or so each day then re-freezes. Beats 'not' having a boat, beat's 'not' having a boat, I keep repeating this, but as R.E.M. said once{i believe it was them} "I'm losing my religion". Come on spring, just a taste would be sweet for now.

Thanks Kenny, pay no attention to my woodworking skills;) good enough for government work:)

Sorry about the snow, I keep forgetting how bad it is out there, we've been really spoiled out here.

Once the pedestal gets here it should all come together quick!

MTribe08

Glassed the Battery base and Trim Motor base in the boat today. I PL'd them down and then glassed over the top of it. No screws into the deck! They are solid as a rock and now I can mount the battery box and Trim Motor on to them and not be concerned about water getting to the deck. I positioned the Trim Motor base so that in the future when I hook up a dual battery system, I have room on the side of it for another battery. Gel Coat will cover all of this.

Battery Base-
IMG_9172.jpg

Trim Motor Base-
IMG_9170.jpg

BobsGlasstream

Commander

MTribe08,
The boat is looking good. Those bases look like they are really solid too.
Are you going to gel coat the entire deck?
Keep up the great work.
Bob

MTribe08

MTribe08,
The boat is looking good. Those bases look like they are really solid too.
Are you going to gel coat the entire deck?
Keep up the great work.
Bob

Thanks Bob..they came out just like I had envisioned them. The way I see it, I've eliminated a few more screws from the deck.;)

Yes, the entire Deck will get Gel Coat. I'm planning on laying it down on Tuesday after I fit the furniture.:p

MTribe08

Got some more done today. The seat pedestal FINALLY came in, seems like I've been waiting for weeks. Anyway, I managed to get the holes drilled for the pedestal, intalled the T-nuts on the bottom and used 1 1/2 inch stainless screws and the fit perfectly..snugged up right as they were about to come out of the bottom.

I then put the seat in the boat and decided where I wanted the wood base to be at. I put a layer of CSM on the bottom and bonded it to the hull with a thicken resin. Tomorrow I will put a layer of cloth over it for a smooth finish and a bit more support. It its a very sturdy mount now, and I avoided having to drill into my deck to mount the seat.

Here are some pics from today...Gel-Coat will go down tomorrow.:D

T-Nuts on the bottom of the wood base
SSPX0857.jpg

Wood base secured to the deck.
SSPX0863.jpg

Fitting the seat in the boat...Its REALLY going to be nice having that! Moves forward and back and swivels around. And bolster is nice if you want to stand up and drive.
SSPX0856.jpg

system-f

I also ordered a wise seat pedestal, for/aft, up/down and swivel around movement. Iboats had it back orderd but it was only a week late.

MTribe08

I also ordered a wise seat pedestal, for/aft, up/down and swivel around movement. Iboats had it back orderd but it was only a week late.

Sweet!..Its going to be a really nice upgrade.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

MTribe08,
That seat looks great in your boat.
Very nice job.
Bob

benjh1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay David,

Tomorrow is today - how did the gelcoat go? Pics would be great as well.

Ben

MTribe08

Okay David,

Tomorrow is today - how did the gelcoat go? Pics would be great as well.

Ben

:D:D:D

Its down...I started off by going over the entire surface with styrene..my understanding is that is sort of reactivates the resin, and creates more of a chemical bond than just a mechanical bond. After that I mixed up to containers of 24oz each...I mixed about 2% MEKP and went at it.

I put on a pretty healthy coat, and it looks pretty darn good. However, even though it was recommended that I lay down only one coat..I'm considering a light sand and adding and additional light coat to fill it in better. I'm kinda torn and not too sure what to do there. I still have about a 1/2 gallon left.

Since I have the time, I'm leaning towards roughing it up putting another coat down. We'll see. Guys..what do you think?

At any rate here are some pics.

Supplies..layed this out across the bow so it was easy to get to.
finalglass005.jpg

After wiping down with Styrene:
finalglass004.jpg

Gel Coat down!
finalglass006.jpg

BobsGlasstream

Commander

MTribe08,
I can't see that well but I'm jealous. You are moving right along on your project and it is looking great. The gel coat looks good to me.
I wish I was that far along.
Keep it rolling.
Bob

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks fantastic!

MTribe08

Thanks guys!...in order for me to go over with another coat tomorrow, can I dry sand it with 220, wipe down with styrene and roll another? Or do I need to do something else?

Thanks

bear_69cuda

Commander

Dude,

You rule!

That looks super pro dude!

Fantastic work!

MTribe08

Dude,

You rule!

That looks super pro dude!

Fantastic work!

Thanks bro, so far I'm really happy with how everything is turning out. You were a big help as well. However, mine doesn't hold a candle to that bayliner.:p

I really want to put down another coat tomorrow, I think it will really make it look nice..just need to know what I need to do inside a 24hr window?? The coat I put down had wax in it unfortunately. Whats the process going forward?