84' Evinrude 25hp Outboard Stalls In Gear

N1NE1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Again Everyone I Just Picked Up A Great Condition 84' Evinrude Longshaft 25hp Outboard With Electric Start And Tiller For $100 But It Has One Issue,starts Right Up Idles Fine Then I Put It In Gear And It Stalls.i Took Off Carb Cleaned It And Still The Same,it Has Fairly New Coils Too. Where Do I Start Next? Your Help Will Be Greatly Appreciated .steve

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 84' Evinrude 25hp Outboard Stalls In Gear

Sounds like you got a good buy for only 100 bucks.
Have you tried to set your idle up a bit?

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take a look in the top secret file for some helpful next steps: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

You can do some of the basic checks such as compression and spark. Since you have gotten it started and the motor runs, going to the carburetor is a good bet. When you put in gear, does it stall immediately or when you advance the throttle? If you did you do a complete rebuild of the carburetor, you could still have a clog in the intermediate or high speed orifices. Did you remove those when you cleaned the carb? You can also check your fuel filter and see how that looks.

N1NE1

Petty Officer 1st Class

i did not rebuild the carb yet,i did take out all jets/orifices and clean them,it stalls as soon as i put it in gear even when i have the idle turned up more

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can you increase the throttle while in neutral and the rpm's increase (don't rev it too much)? If you can rev it a bit in neutral, possibly something is stuck in the lower unit that causes the engine to die when you put it in gear. Can you spin the prop in neutral when the engine is not running? With the engine off and the kill switch out (or spark plug wires disconnected, try putting the motor in forward gear and then turn the flywheel to see if the prop will also turn. If you have resistance, something is not right in the lower unit.

N1NE1

Petty Officer 1st Class

just pulled the carb back off because i noticed the choke really wasnt pushing any gas through the lines and noticed the bowl barely has any gas in it,the valve under the float is barely letting anything in.is it possible the new gas could soften up the rubber on the end of this needle making it grow and not allow as much gas through? i went ahead and just ordered a complete carb repair kit. i'l get back once this kit arrives. thanks steve

jasper60103

Commander

Did you verify gas was getting through the fuel filter/pump?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

New motor to you.
Basic health check.
Compression
Spark
Fuel delivery
Spark plug condition
And you need to give it a water pump service before you use it if it is unknown to you.
Go from there.

N1NE1

Petty Officer 1st Class

fuel does get through all the way up to the carb then it barely seeps through,the float doesnt seem to have much play up and down.i hooked up a small fuel line to the inlet on the carb and i can barely blow any air into it in any position. im not sure if someone ever touched this before me and was passing on their frustration/problems to someone else. it didnt seem like anyone ever touched it.still had what looked like original zip ties on fuel lines

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

fuel does get through all the way up to the carb then it barely seeps through,the float doesnt seem to have much play up and down.i hooked up a small fuel line to the inlet on the carb and i can barely blow any air into it in any position. im not sure if someone ever touched this before me and was passing on their frustration/problems to someone else. it didnt seem like anyone ever touched it.still had what looked like original zip ties on fuel lines

If the float doesn't have play up and down, I would suspect the float is in upside down. The float has a dished area on it that goes down over the passageway of the high speed jet.

Getting the float in upside down is a common uttt-oh

Attachments

• 1carb.jpg
    1carb.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 0

N1NE1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got the new rebuild kit and compared the once needle with the rubber end which is under the float to the new one and the old one is much bigger then new,the size difference wouldnt allow enough gas through.it looks like over time it grew bigger and softened up. dont know what could cause this besides the new gas,it didnt look like anyone ever had this carb off before so thats my only guess.well everythings working great now after i changed all the supplied parts.it wouldnt stay running for more than 2 seconds after i put it in gear before, thanks for all your info everyone....

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Glad all is well.

jasper60103

Commander

and where do you guys find these bargains?!

N1NE1

Petty Officer 1st Class

CRAIGSLIST FROM PEOPLE WHO GET AGGRIVATED AND HAVE NOTYPE OF SKILLS WITH FIXING THINGS.. THEN I COME ALONG AND BUY... :p

bktheking

Vice Admiral

CRAIGSLIST FROM PEOPLE WHO GET AGGRIVATED AND HAVE NOTYPE OF SKILLS WITH FIXING THINGS.. THEN I COME ALONG AND BUY... :p

It's called exchanging profit for laziness, it's my favourite event in life, my 76 15hp for $75 is my best deal yet!