Need help from starcraft club! 16' Starcraft restore estimate?

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am seriously considering this boat. Guy just screwed down a piece of plywood for the floor, threw away the old seats. Motor is a 2006 honda 25 hp four stroke.

He actually glued down the carpet over the boat, and didn't make holes for the seats. I'd have to cut holes in the carpet to access the mounts to install new seats down. I think I would just tear out all the carpet and put rhinoliner or other form of truck bed lining over the wood.

Needs
- seats
-bilge pump
- carpet removal, rhinolining floors

The top of the wood in the transom is exposed a crack because the blue aluminum piece that makes up the top of the gunwales don't fully reach out far enough to meet with the aluminum of the transom and doesn't fully cover it. How do you guys repair this? Pound it in till it's covered and screw the aluminum to the wood of the transom? Is it a simple job?

3k83o63p85O85Q05P49ble12fda87540b13c9.jpg

That's the tiny pic they have with it.

Would also like
-new paint for boat and trailer
-new console

I am thinking of offering 1500 for the package, and hoping to spend only about another 500 doing clean up of it? Sound reasonable?

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need help from starcraft club! 16' Starcraft restore estimate?

Looking at pictures of other starcrafts from guys out here, it looks like this boat is missing the aluminum endpiece as seen here? And that's why the top of the transoms wood is exposed?

2hh0vtu.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well the money involved is for that pretty honda ob. That is what you should be basing your offer on. A 16' hull with trailer is cheap.

Is it missing a corner plate? They are hard to come by but sometimes you can luck out and get one from a dealer.

Forget the rhinoliner...... no one has has good luck and it is a waste of money on a wood deck..... there are cheaper ways that last just as long.

Seats...... look at the iboats store..... depends on what you want. Pedestal or back to back...

New console? Is this a center console boat? Need more pictures.

Paint can be cheap depending on what you use.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

the guy threw down plywood (exposed) then carpeted over it?

Sounds like it needs a bit more then ya think.....listen to Bob-VT

also...check out Ezmobees thread, he has a starcraft SS, he's restoring right now....was in a bit better shape than your boat and hes doing a complete overhaul on it....CLICK HERE TO SEE HIS THREAD

The starcrafts are great for restoring, faster than fiberglass boats and less $$$

plan on spending $300 - $500 on interior seating (iboats has great prices) so look no further

Marine carpet if you end up wanting it again $150

Polyurethane resin for transom and floor coating $37 per gallon thereabouts

Gluvit (not sure on price) it reseals the rivet holes

good Paint for the hull $150

couple new gauges $150

new fuel tank if ya need it and new fuel line $90 total

bilge pump $35 to $80 depending on gph and auto or manual type pump etc

bryanwess2000

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think your going to be satisfied with the performance of a 25hp on a 16' hull, I would definately want a sea trial. I doubt you will get much above
planing speed alone much less with a load. As far as cost to restore the boat that depends on how nice you want it. excluding hull and motors/ trolling motors I'm estimating $1200-1500 to make my 16' sylvan the way I want it.
Where are you located? If your in the central or northeast part of the country
I think you can find a much better boat to restore especially in this economy.
Here's a link to my restore thread for a futher breakdown of costs
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=360864

Rickairmedic

Commander

I paid $800 for my 16' Starcraft Jupiter V . I will have between $1500 and $2000 into it when I am done . I agree I dont think a 25HP outboard is gonna do very well granted it is rated at the prop so it may be a little quicker . My boat came with an 80HP Merc hangin off of it and it is supposed to be able to scoot along with it .

Rick

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't really care about going fast, i just want it to be reliable. Restores are sounding a lot more expensive than I thought though. Maybe put in another 1 or 2000 and go with a more expensive boat that doesn't need restoration? :(

hundahunta

Cadet

yes i'm finding out that restoration can be very expensive

jonesg

Admiral

I don't really care about going fast, i just want it to be reliable. Restores are sounding a lot more expensive than I thought though. Maybe put in another 1 or 2000 and go with a more expensive boat that doesn't need restoration? :(

Smart move, the seller has done a cobble job to get rid of it, that deck will have to come out again. A honda 4 banger is quiet but lacks power of the 2 strokes.

You can get VERY nice boats for under $3K.

My brother had his 1986 26' cruiser for sale for $5K and took $2500.
Nice boat with dual wheel alum trailer, sleeps 6 and a V8 for power.

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Smart move, the seller has done a cobble job to get rid of it, that deck will have to come out again. A honda 4 banger is quiet but lacks power of the 2 strokes.

You can get VERY nice boats for under $3K.

My brother had his 1986 26' cruiser for sale for $5K and took $2500.
Nice boat with dual wheel alum trailer, sleeps 6 and a V8 for power.

I haven't been able to find anything reliable for under $4k. I just want a simple boat 15'+ v hull that works reliably. I don't care about going fast or how it looks really. It's a lot harder to find than I expected. Practically all the glass boats I've seen in that price range are over 25 years old and need thousands of dollars of work on the transom/floors/gel coat or motor work. All the aluminum boats have 20 year old motors and running issues or hackjob repairs. Stalling, clunking into gear, etc. This one had a newish motor that ran good. At least I know it wouldn't leave me stranded in the middle of the lake.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Erik there are a pile of us Starcrafters here . Would you mind going to the user Cp up at the top left of the page and clicking on it then clicking on edit profile and adding your location to your profile . That way we will know where you are and might be able to better help you in your search . I would say with carefull shopping you could most liekly get that boat on the water for not much more than what you are willing to pay for it . The outboard looks decent . You could most likely sell it for most of what you would pay for the boat and then look for a cheaper older outboard of at least 50HP to put on it and reinvest some of the leftover money into the boat itself .I could buy a 18' Starcraft here all summer long in the $1750 range ready to put in the water but I enjoy knowing that when I am done I know whats in the boat . I will say you wont find a clean glass boat in that price range that doesnt need work and when they need work its alot worse than an Aluminum boat. What are your plans for the boat , Fishing , Skiing ? Salt water , Fresh water these will all make a diferance in what you get . I will have a decent amount of money in mine when I am done but I am not doing a cheap restore on it . You could most likely take that boat out just like it is and enjoy it and do a little at a time to restore it . I picked up my 16'er this summer knowing that most likely I wouldnt have it in the water before next spring but that gave me several months to spread out the cost of the restoration.

Rick

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

Erikpn, Sounds a little high priced to me, I picked up my 16' Nassau for $850. and hoping to have about $1700-2000 in it when I am finished with a full redo of the boat. If I were you I would keep looking for a less expensive tinny with a larger engine on it (mine is rated 70hp max) Good luck!

moonfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am seriously considering this boat. Guy just screwed down a piece of plywood for the floor, threw away the old seats. Motor is a 2006 honda 25 hp four stroke.

He actually glued down the carpet over the boat, and didn't make holes for the seats. I'd have to cut holes in the carpet to access the mounts to install new seats down. I think I would just tear out all the carpet and put rhinoliner or other form of truck bed lining over the wood.

Needs
- seats
-bilge pump
- carpet removal, rhinolining floors

The top of the wood in the transom is exposed a crack because the blue aluminum piece that makes up the top of the gunwales don't fully reach out far enough to meet with the aluminum of the transom and doesn't fully cover it. How do you guys repair this? Pound it in till it's covered and screw the aluminum to the wood of the transom? Is it a simple job?

3k83o63p85O85Q05P49ble12fda87540b13c9.jpg

That's the tiny pic they have with it.

Would also like
-new paint for boat and trailer
-new console

I am thinking of offering 1500 for the package, and hoping to spend only about another 500 doing clean up of it? Sound reasonable?

In my part of the country, that would be really cheap. Just for the motor. I don't see how you could lose if there's nothing hurting resale of just the motor. Any work it needs to get that outboard running perfect would be a huge downside.

I'd sit on a bucket and go fishin. If you can float and move you have most of what you NEED. Some people might NEED a tv on board or 2k of fish finder.

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just fishing, in the fresh and salt.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Erik from what I understand in your part of the country thats actually cheap for a tincan :D. We have another member here from your area and he is always comenting on how us " eastcoasters " are getting such amazing deals on our boats. I would bet you could resell that motor for a good chunk and get an older larger one and be happy .

Rick

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Erik from what I understand in your part of the country thats actually cheap for a tincan :D. We have another member here from your area and he is always comenting on how us " eastcoasters " are getting such amazing deals on our boats. I would bet you could resell that motor for a good chunk and get an older larger one and be happy .

Rick

Yes, I would've paid 150% more on some of the boats I see listed here, easily. It's shockingly hard to find a boat. It's not like I'm asking a lot, I don't care how fast it is or how it looks or even how comfortable it is to ride, just anything that can get me on the water and back home safely for under 4 grand. :(