OMC,can't be all bad!

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have been reading alot on this site and have recieved a huge amt of help from everyone. I've been fixing up a second old boat,87 chaparrel with a 3.0 and alpha 1 drive. The reason I'm writing is my other boat is a 86 Glastron with a 3.0 and a OMC drive. This boat has faithfully served the prevous owner for 22 years and now that I have it. I hope to get a couple more out of it. I kind of feel bad for some of the folks here that are being told to run like h##l if the boat has a omc outdrive on it. There must be a million,no millions of these boats out there for good prices. Are these really that bad? There are plenty of new and used parts out there to keep these old boats going. I just hate to see some folks miss out on some fun because they don't have tons of money to buy top of the line. After all, I can see there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum to help all of us. Just my two cents worth. I hope I haven't offended anyone. That was not my intention. Ernie.

hshift

Seaman Apprentice
Re: OMC,can't be all bad!

I bought a 93 Sunbird this year which has an OMC Cobra with the 302 cu. Ford V8 engine in it. I looked at over a dozen boats before deciding to take the plunge on this one. The deciding factor???? The boat was obviously well taken care of by the previous owner. It runs great, pulls strong, shifts smooth, and starts up easily, and I am extremely happy with it. Boats that are well-taken care of, whether OMC, Merc, or whatever, will be better bets to last than ones neglected.

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with you completely, and I don't know crap about OMC; however, I am probably a bit biased being a happy Merc. 470 owner:D. It gets the same rap.

Frankly, I think some of the posters tend to offer straight opinion here instead of sound, technical assistance. Although, I suppose there is some value to opinion when they're all leaning the same way. Nevertheless, I feel bad when these excited, inexperienced boaters find their "dream boat", post a legitimate question, and get ridiculed. In some way, I'm sure it makes them think twice, and possibly save them a lot of time and money, but I would prefer to see replies with sound, factual details to back up their opinions. Or, just take a pass on the reply.

Bronc Rider

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think telling someone to run from an OMC is good advice. Is not that they are unreliable, its the lack of parts. I know parts can still be obtained but they always cost more and are not at your local marine store. If you don't know anything about boats, which will be most new owners its better to buy something with good tech/parts support. Remember all engines and drives will need service some day.
I search craigslist every single day for good deals on boats. I find good deals all the time on Volvos and Mercs. I see absolutely no reason at all to consider OMC boats. Personally I prefer Volvos but, when friends or family are looking for a boat I always recommend Merc. The reason is parts, anyone can find them easy.

a70eliminator

Captain

If, and a VERY BIG if.... OMC Cobra's had factory support, they would be the top contenders. IMO

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I agree with you completely, and I don't know crap about OMC; however, I am probably a bit biased being a happy Merc. 470 owner:D. It gets the same rap.

Frankly, I think some of the posters tend to offer straight opinion here instead of sound, technical assistance. Although, I suppose there is some value to opinion when they're all leaning the same way. Nevertheless, I feel bad when these excited, inexperienced boaters find their "dream boat", post a legitimate question, and get ridiculed. In some way, I'm sure it makes them think twice, and possibly save them a lot of time and money, but I would prefer to see replies with sound, factual details to back up their opinions. Or, just take a pass on the reply.

Didn't know there was even such a thing....lol

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I had an OMC Cobra boat. When I decided to move on, I was NOT looking for any boat that had an OMC on it. Its not becuase my OMC wasn't reliable...it was but I had a hard time finding just a few parts for it that made me decide to move on. I also got tired of replacing the shift cables on it.

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

I think telling someone to run from an OMC is good advice. Is not that they are unreliable, its the lack of parts. I know parts can still be obtained but they always cost more and are not at your local marine store. If you don't know anything about boats, which will be most new owners its better to buy something with good tech/parts support. Remember all engines and drives will need service some day.
I search craigslist every single day for good deals on boats. I find good deals all the time on Volvos and Mercs. I see absolutely no reason at all to consider OMC boats. Personally I prefer Volvos but, when friends or family are looking for a boat I always recommend Merc. The reason is parts, anyone can find them easy.

All very good points, clearly stated, and if everyone would take the time to expand on it like you did I don't think it would be an issue. Nice work...

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Having owned a stringer and Cobra OMC driven boats over the years i still would not buy another.
My last Cobra was in great shape and ran very well.
The price of parts and what is available is the big down fall for these drives now. Stringer parts are getting very rare and the Cobra parts are getting expensive.And the fact that 99% of shops won't touch them anymore.
I do all my own work so that was not a problem.

Like the thread about the boat for sale with the OMC 460...
Those parts are pretty much non-existant.

Bondo

Staff member

If, and a VERY BIG if.... OMC Cobra's had factory support, they would be the top contenders. IMO

Ayuh,... That is the reason I post My Opinion about OMCs,+ 470s...
OMC has been Dead, + Gone for over 10 years now,...
Most parts might be available,.. Maybe,+ then only if you look hard enough...
But, Many, Many are Not,.. None,.. Nada,.. Zero...
The King Cobra being talked about elsewhere is a prime example...
Or most of the Ford parts,... Or the 2.3l Fords,...
Same reasons,+ Same issues with the 470s...
They were in production only a very short time,+ that was 20 Years ago...
Many, Many 470 parts have the part #, NLA.... That's partcounter speak for $h!t outa Luck...

Many. if not Most new posters here are Not boaters, but wish to be,....
Why O Why would anybody send a Newbie down a path to Frustration,+ Hopeless repair bills...

At this point in time,...
A Chevy powered boat with a Mercruiser is the Best shot, only because of the Parts,+ Support that can be found at Any place on the North American continent...
A Chevy powered Volvo maybe a Better driveline, but the Parts are generally Higher priced,+ Tech Support is between Thin,+ Rare, to None...
For every Volvo Tech you can find,... You'll have to push through 1000 Mercruiser Techs.....

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

Didn't know there was even such a thing....lol

Now that's just mean spirited...:(

I was one of those who took care of their 470, acknowledged the issues, dealt with them, and have had 24 fun filled boating seasons from her.

From what I read here, it's not that much different from any other poorly maintained engine. After all, I've been following your posts...:rolleyes: Just kidding.

My 470 moves my 3800 lb boat at 40-42 mph top end, cruises all day long at 28-30, and just sips gas like I do my dirty martini.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

From what I read here, it's not that much different from any other poorly maintained engine. After all, I've been following your posts...:rolleyes:

BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Here is an example of what happened with me with my 5.0L OMC.

My pan rusted out on my 5.0l Chevy. The pan is unique to OMC as the dipstick goes to the drain hole of the pan. This pan had unique threads on it to accept the brass adapters to connect to the dipstick tube. When I tried to order the pan for my model/year OMC. it was NLA. No problem I thought, I would just get the more recent model pan. Of course it was $300 and I had to replace all the fittings, the dipstick tube and the dipstick itself. Locating a pan was also a tough one. Found one in Florida from a guy that bought all the complete engines he could get from OMC and parts them out. Fortunately, the pan was only $200.

Now, there were obviously other ways I could have gone here but dealing with the parts situation with this project left such a bad taste in my mouth that I swore this would be the last OMC I would ever own. I live in the Los Angeles area so its not like I don't have many options of dealers in the area.

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I really didn't expect this much of a responce. Maybe part of my motive is that both of my boats are very simular,length,wt,motors and overall condition. I came by the second boat to use for parts but it runes too good to part out. So in the spring I plan on selling one and keeping one. I have not been able to make a choise because both are are so simular other than drives,OMC cobra,merc alpha 1. Now more even more unsure. Thanks! Ernie

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've always liked OMC better. Don't why now, after hearing all this. Seems true now that Merc dominates the world. Mine started from outboards. I have seen numerous Mercury O/Bs smoked so that's where I got my opinion for OMC. Have had 3 OMC O/Bs with very little trouble. My OMC stern drive... Notta problem... 1990. I guess it's how much abuse Merc can handle.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Now that's just mean spirited...:(

I was one of those who took care of their 470, acknowledged the issues, dealt with them, and have had 24 fun filled boating seasons from her.

From what I read here, it's not that much different from any other poorly maintained engine. After all, I've been following your posts...:rolleyes: Just kidding.
My 470 moves my 3800 lb boat at 40-42 mph top end, cruises all day long at 28-30, and just sips gas like I do my dirty martini.

lol...That was funny....:D
I like a good comeback..;)
Really it seems there ARE happy OMC owners and those LUCKY enough to have cared for a 470 since new properly,Are happy boaters as well..
I'd be happy to hit 42!!! I wouldn't be happy as soon as I had to replace something on either engines..

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I've always liked OMC better.

I always liked Studebaker over Ford. One was probably not better than the other except that You can go to a Ford dealer today and buy parts.......Parts are a little harder to find for a Studebaker......

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

Cheers to you Cheapboatkev;

I like good sports!

I'm a happy boater, and wish you all the best.

Ron

longstand

Petty Officer 1st Class

someone mention about newbies wannabe boater!!!!

i have owned 2 other smaller boats and i have fish and have fun with them around the shore. but never done any repair on the engine. nor repair on anything beside saving my first boat from going under water because i forgot to put the Plug for the Drain.

having to mention my mistake of not putting my plug on the drain.. i think the last owner should have mention to me.. he Raul.. just remember to plug the drain before you put the boat on the water. so it don't go under water..

first experince of losing something i just purchase a few days ago. its such a bad thing to remember. but there is also a good memory where i save the boat By !! Getting into the water and Putting my Thump in the drain. and YELLING FOR HELP. Let me Borrow your DRAIN PLUG..!!! i was yelling and yelling HELP.. my boat taking in Water.. I need your DRAIN PLUG...

LOL never forget that one...

Newbiess Experince is great.. LOL