89 Starcraft Mariner 210 CC Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprintst

Commander
Re: 89 Starcraft Mariner 210 CC Rebuild

41 inches of snow is sick. We'll get a good dump but we have tons of equipment to handle it. I can't remember a time when we got that much though.

Good thing you've got that tractor. You might be able to pay for it in a week in snow removal.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Pauly/Sprint, here you go. Most of the big stuff had been dealt with by the time it showed up:

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7JvETMnbtE

NB!!!!! I can't believe you just bought that:eek::eek::eek::eek: It's sweet!!

That is my dream tractor - dream because I know how much they cost and I can't rebuild them like these old Starcrafts, so, nothin but a dream for me.

I have 11.5 acres, .25 mile driveway and heat my house entirely with wood. A rig like that would be the cats pajamas around my place! I have owned a handful of bigger tractors over the past few years but I am currently running a JD 110 Garden Tractor, rats.

Congrats Buddy! That thing is awesome!

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

ShaaaaWiiiinnnggg!!!!!!!!!!!!:redface:

North Beach

Commander

What can I say guys? I got 42 acres and a lotta gravel to maintain. Plus, we gotta be able to get out when the govment calls:D

So the admiral gave me permission and I jumped on it. I live in farm country so it's almost the littliest tractor on the block:redface:

And now it's snowin again. Geez, I'm never gonna get this boat ripped apart.........

North Beach

Commander

OK, the snow never amounted to anything so after work here at the shop this evening we started on the boat. The first step was to move all the snow piled up around the boat and get it out where we could work on it. Then we made some adjustments to the raggely trailer. Moved the winch post as far forward as possible to get the boat up on the trailer more and lose that two feet of overhang we had going on. Here's a before and after shot.

Mariner2.jpg

Mariner16.jpg

We also installed one more keel roller up front in an effort to get the keel of the boat off of the existing busted keel rollers. I'll try and get those swapped out over the next couple of days. The trailer isn't all that bad since we threw all that money at it just to get it home a few months ago when we bought the boat. Mostly just salt water rot! We also removed the busted trailer jack and installed a new 8000 pound roller jack I bought a while back when they were on sale at Gander Mountain. Hree's the new roller.

Mariner17.jpg

And here's what the busted ones look like. The shafts are rusted clean thru in the center.

Mariner18.jpg

The next step was to shovel that last foot or so of snow out of the boat:eek: in preparation for removing the deck tomorrow. We also began removing misc. hardware beginning with the bow rails and some other small stuff. Got done after dark and we're working outside so sorry not that many pics until tomorrow.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Glad to see you got started on it. I hate trailers. Really really hate 'em.

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

wow..thats a great size boat..by end of the year a 21' may be sitting outside the garage..Looking forward to seeing this get going.

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

nice work NB !!!

i have a beautiful alum. trailer, but for some reason(money) every nut, bolt and u-bolt is reg. metal and all rusted. when i flip my boat off, i'll have a heck of a time busting them off.

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

Joe...Please dont flip off that starcraft..It will be your best friend real soon..save the flipping off to the idiot that merges onto the highway at 25 MPH..:mad:

jspano

Joe...Please dont flip off that starcraft

pauly

LOL!!!!

my favorite is the guy that lane changes as he's approaching the red light, in front a truck or a guy towing a boat, cutting the braking distance in half

North Beach

Commander

OK Moving right along here. We got some more mild weather today so later in the afternoon I finally got back from running errands and started taking stuff apart. The first thing to come out was the belly mounted fuel tank. This tank is a PO add on. 25 gallon and in good shape so we?re gonna keep it. We will be relocating it just a little so the top mount fill neck fits either under the casting platform or under the console. More on that later.

Mariner19.jpg

Mariner20.jpg

Next we took the casting platform out. The wood top was in pretty bad shape so that will get replaced. We?ll hang onto it for use as a template. The rearward support wall is made of aluminum and the PO hacked a nice hole in it for the jury rigged fuel tank lines so we?ll be making a new one out of that huge pile of stainless steel sheet goods we have stored in the boatel. We?ll keep this for a template also. The top was thru bolted to the flange at the top of the rearward wall and also to the angle shelves riveted to the hull on each side. The rearward wall was riveted thru the hull with two rivits on each side and riveted to the flat aluminum strip that Starcraft uses at each plywood deck head joint. Note should be made that the plywood under the casting deck was basically mush due to the leaking that occurs thru the hatch in the casting deck lid. We?ll be replacing that with a waterproof hatch when we re-build.

Mariner21.jpg

Mariner22.jpg

The next step was removing the aluminum trim on the outside corner of the small shelf at the bottom of the gunwales. These are just riveted into the piece of 90 degree sheet aluminum that creates the shelf and trims in the floor to gunwale transition.

Mariner23.jpg

Continued due to too many pictures!

North Beach

Commander

Once that came out, we drilled out the rivits that hold the top of the 90 degree sheet and back out the screws that fasten it to the floor and it pops right out. This piece is covered with marine vinyl. I?m not sure if we?re gonna recover it or just make some new ones out of the stainless we have. More on that later also.

Mariner24.jpg

Mariner25.jpg

Next we begin on the decking removal. WOW! This is way different than the deck removal on the Liquid Limo. I?d just like to say here that poured in place foam SUCKS BIGTIME!!! You can see where they drilled the fill holes and poured the stuff in. It adheres to the back side of the plywood deck and doesn?t really want to let go so a bunch of heaving and prying and cursing is required to get the plywood decking out. The deck in this boat is ?? vs the ?? that was in the last resto so that?s what we?ll be going back with. I got a couple pieces out and luckily was able to pop up a little bit of the foam before the sun started going down. We?ll pick up where we left off in the morning.

Mariner26.jpg

Mariner27.jpg

Tell me again why I do this?

Mariner28.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Cause it's fun!

Right, this is fun right? Um, yah pretty sure somebody told me this is fun or something.

Great work NB, keep on keepin on!:D

North Beach

Commander

Cause it's fun!

Right, this is fun right? Um, yah pretty sure somebody told me this is fun or something.

Great work NB, keep on keepin on!:D

Yeah well my back isn't havin any fun right about now:D But I swear, I'm gonna have this boat stripped by end of day tomorrow!

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

I think I would of torched the imperial if it's foam was attached to the deck as this was...bummer for you NB, guess there's no need in asking if your going to replace it with spray-in{lol}....good days work!

jspano

damn i might have to post a done nothing pic just so we will have 3- 21' mariners on one page

Huron Angler

Admiral

NB the answer to your question is in your signature..."Sunchief in motion":D

Good to see the mariner getting gutted, those newer SC's have the pour-in foam so I guess they are a bit more work tearing down. Mine had no foam at all so I got really lucky there.

Nice score on the fuel tank too, good luck with the tear-down:)

Status
Not open for further replies.