Gluvit

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey all,

I have been doing alot of reading on members restorations..(Giving me the urge to come across an old Starcraft)

I have only came across one picture of the Gluvit being applied to the inside of the hull.

Can someone direct me to some more pictures, or inform me on how to properly apply Gluvit...

Is it as simple as getting to all the seems/riveits and brushing it on? No heating or anything?

Thanks,

Shane

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: Gluvit

Shane thats pretty much it no heating or anything just mix it brush it on and let it set up. You do have to keep an eye on it though till it starts to set up since it ias a liquid it will try to run on you.

Rick

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rick, thanks! Should it be applied to the inside only? Or could I lay under the boat while its on the trailer and apply it there too? Or just a waste of time and Gluivt(money)

Rickairmedic

Commander

Shane you want to apply it to the inside of the boat while the decks out to all the rivets and seams . I really dont se a need to apply it outside as it will do its job best from the inside.

Rick

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Go to the manufacturer site...... for proper application and use of gluvit. It is made by marine tex and has many uses.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Hey all,

Can someone direct me to some more pictures, or inform me on how to properly apply Gluvit...

Here's what I found out doing it for the first time...from a previous post:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=320356

Coverage & working time:

The 1 Qt. size (2 lb.) was more than enough to do all the seams and rivets on a 15' Starcraft runabout. At 72 degrees outside, the pot life was about 55 minutes until it got too thick to spread and started clumping.

Mixing:

I actually only mixed half of it up and I'm glad I did that; I had about an ounce or so left over at the end. To mix half by weight, I put a mixing container on a digital postal scale, then turned it on to zero it. I poured 14.4 oz of the resin into the container; then repeated the process for the hardener (catalyst), pouring 2 oz. in a smaller container (zeroed the same way). Then I mixed & stirred it for 4 minutes per directions.

Working time:

I didn't know how much time I'd have when I started out, so I did all the seams first and then went back and dabbed it on individual rivets. After about 40 minutes I noticed that the thickening rate seemed to quicken. It actually was easier to see it filling in the seams when it got thicker, so I went back over them to use up most of what was left.

Using only half allows for mixing the second half later and putting on a second coat, which Gluvit recommends for "optimum" performance.

To sum it up, my advice is to follow the mixing directions carefully, and work fast!!

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks alot! I printed out your advice, and will go too it this weekend ...weather permiting....which right now doesnt look so good....

Shane!

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey again..

Anyone know where to buy the marine tex products in Southern Ontario?

Iboats cant ship there products...

I called a few local boat stores and they "had never heard of it"

thanks!

shane

Johnny Too Bad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought mine on ebay. Shouldn't have any trouble shipping ... even to Canada :)

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey again..

Anyone know where to buy the marine tex products in Southern Ontario?

Iboats cant ship there products...

I called a few local boat stores and they "had never heard of it"

thanks!

shane

Same here. When I went to local stores asking if they had Gluvit, they all looked at me like I was crazy and had no idea what I was talking about. I had to get it online.