1966 14' aluminium hp question

elantiegne

Cadet
I recently picked up a 1966 Starcraft 14' Tinny V hull. It came with a 1958 35HP Johnson Super Sea Horse on it. There is not a capacity plate and I did the calculations and it seems like it may be too much for the boat. The calculations show a 630lb weight limit, 4 person max and depending on transom and forward controls a HP limit. I am totally rebuilding this boat and like the vintage motor(which needs work). I will be putting in a floor and consoles with steering. The motor itself weighs 125 lbs.. I would appreciate any thoughts on if this motor is safe for this boat.

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 1966 14' aluminium hp question

Welcome to iboats:)...I have a friend that bought a 1967 Cadillac Riviera 14' tinny and his capcity is 40hp. That boat is very well built though, and has a very solid aluminum-plated transom with pretty high sides thoughout.

If yours is a bench style with lower sides then 35hp may be too heavy and powerful but we'd need to see some photos posted to take a look.

Congrats on getting the Starcraft...there is an armada of SC owners that will be checking in to welcome you shortly.

I'd imagine that an owner of an identical vessel will be around to clarify the rating.

elantiegne

Cadet

The boat is a three bench seat style...It is not a deep V, but it is not super shallow either. There are handles in the back that have stars on them. I'll work on getting a pic up. I just had hip surgery and this project I'll start in the spring. The more I can plan now, the quicker things will go once I can walk again! Thanks for the help!

Andy in NY

Commander

the first thing to do is figure out the model #. you say it has 3 bench seats, so its a "jon boat" type. 35 is probably on the high side for it, but like i said you need to figure out the model first and someone can help finding the specs.

elantiegne

Cadet

I'll see what I can find for an ID #....Thanks

elantiegne

Cadet

I'm in Pittsfield VT....just north of Killington off RT 100. I looked everywhere on the hull of the boat and there is nothing stamped or rivotted on. The old registration says it's a 66, but who knows. I took pic, but I'm new to site and I'm trying to figure out how to upload it.

elantiegne

Cadet

Anyone know how to change the size of my images? It says it can't upload because they exceed the maximum size. It is the boat on my avatar.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Most folks use photobucket or flickr to host the images and they offer free software to edit and resize images to large or medium. Then copy and paste the image location directly into the text box when posting. This should have brackets on either side with the code

Huron Angler

Admiral

I couldn't find a brochure from '66 but in '67 SC made 5 tin hulls that were all roughly 14 feet.

Mariner V 14'4" 40hp, Falcon 14' 40hp, Seafarer 14'2" 30hp, Super Star 14'1" 25hp and your boat the Sea Scamp 14'1" 20hp.

This could differ from the previous year but yours sure looks like the Sea Scamp from you avatar photo. Also the weight limit was 700lbs and 4 people in '67. Sorry for the extra large image, I can remove it if needed but it's the only way to read the ratings.
starcraftb67030.jpg

elantiegne

Cadet

Thanks! That has got to be the same boat. It has the green interior and the wooden bench seats. Bummed the 35 Johnson is too big. I thought the boat would move with the modifacations I want to do to it and that old motor.

old boat 54

Petty Officer 3rd Class

elantiegne,
I have a similar, if not the same boat. I purchased last year. It is a three seater, however the front seat is covered by a deck, someone installed.
If you look at the Pictures Huron angler posted ; I have the three seat model as show with the guy rowing with the dog in it, however also look at the picture with the four seater, with the guy on a tiller outboard, and the kid up in the front seat. look close at the gussets on the transom. There are three of them, two larger, and one is a little shorter in the middle. I have that type of transom support in my boat, which is a three seater. It is built like a tank.
It also came with a console, steering wheel, and electric start, and choke. It has a 33 hp Seahorse. I think the console was added later, and some of the hardware looks to be different. The color of the console, ( green with white specs) matches the boat color exactly. The hardware that the console is attached to the boat with is not original is what makes me believe it was added later. The 33 hp does not appear to heavy, and the boat sits in the water pretty level, with me in the middle seat, and lighter person in front or back. I am 6'-1" about 240 lb. and this boat hauls ***** when you open her up, but it also stable, and carves the turns nice. I did not run turns wide open, as I am learning its handling, but I would say that motor is not to big for the boat. I would be more concerned about the weight of the motor then its HP.
I understand the HP max rating is to keep people from over powering, and getting into trouble by not be able to control the boat, but there is not a label on the motor that says "Run me WOT" (wide open throttle) correct ?
I say go with the motor restoration, and just limit the throttle to what you feel is safe to keep it under control.
I am not an expert, but I would check these items.
1. how does it sit in the water . with full tank of gas ? level ?
2. Electric start ? cause battery adds weight. If you are building front casting deck, you can move the 50 -60 lb battery forward. Yes you have to run cables, but a size up on cables is not a big deal. This will pull weight out from the rear of boat.
storage up front will help keep odds and ends from adding rear weight i.e. extra prop, small tool kit, cooler, emergency bottled bass ( cold beer) :D
Good luck with it. I am also going over mine. might even have the outside repainted. I sanded down the wooden seat tops and three coats of varnish.
They look really nice. Marine store told me the wood was teak. If it is, thats not cheap wood. Be carfull about flipping wood over if it is ding up a bit, as there are compound miters on these to fit the angle taper of the boat front to rear, and the taper from bottom of boat to gunwale. you will see if you remove, as it will be to tight, if installed wrong.
I will post more later about what I did so far to mine and maybe give you some ideas.

elantiegne

Cadet

Thanks for the info...My boat is a three seater with three gussets on the transom. My plan is to build aluminium framed consoles with pvc sheet stock panels(except for the dash). I want to cut the middle seat so I can have a 18" walk way through it. I want to add a casting deck from the front seat forward with storage underneath. I paln to carry my anchor and life jackets/bumper in the front hatch. I will have a battery under the passenger console for electric start and electronics. I have yet to put this boat on the water with the motor. The motor needs some TLC so next spring I'll tinker with it. I plan to put the boat on the water next spring and fish out of it with my electric motor.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I plan to put the boat on the water next spring and fish out of it with my electric motor.

That's been working for me for two seasons now. Not that I'm not also hunting for a vintage Merc outboard...but I like my Minn Kota alot:D Quiet, cheap, reliable and very low maintenance.

elantiegne

Cadet

If I wait to fish out of it until the boat is done....I should probably sell my rods and tackle.

elantiegne

Cadet

Looked at the motor today...58 Johnson Super-Sea-Horse 35 HP....Electric Start with controls, steering wheel, and cables with pulleys. Motor painted black over what looks to be a red lower unit. It may have several coats of paint. Previous owner said fuel pump died and he got a new boat and motor. It does have a bolt on fuel pump on the side of the motor.

Huron Angler

Admiral

If I wait to fish out of it until the boat is done....I should probably sell my rods and tackle.

LOL...I feel the same way. I've been using my tinny for fishing and exploring throughout my project.

It makes it tough to have a shiny gleaming project in the garage when I'm always out fishing with her and getting her rained on, muddy, fish scales all over and worms trying to crawl into the benches:D

I need to drill a bilge drain hole so I can just powerwash the dang thing.

Are you going to stick with that 35hp Johnson for your rig?

elantiegne

Cadet

I think I'm going to try it......:confused: now Ihave to get the motor numbers and check them out....The previous owner said he ran the number online and it came up to be a 1958....I just looked at pictures and the cover is definately a 59.................And it has begun. I will probably reenforce the transom and gussets with aluminium sheet stock. The motor weighs 127lbs and I'll have to see how it sits on the water....Before I open it up!

Huron Angler

Admiral

If I were you I'd do like you said...check how she sits in the water both with and w/out the Johnny on the transom. Your three knee braces pushing back on the transom will go a long way as far as handling the force of the prop.

Since the boat is rated for 600+ lbs it shouldn't be a problem al long as the boat sits level in the water.

Maybe throw your deep cycle, cooler, trolling motor and and anchor in the bow area to balance the weight and you should be in business.:D

Are you going to put in a deck? I did sectional removable decking for my 12' AeroCraft and I've been very happy with the results. Check out my resto thread if you want to see what I ended up doing.

Of course we'll want to see some pictures of her in the water...good luck:)