New Used Boat, Best Makes?

79MERC1150

Seaman Apprentice
We are looking for a used 27 to 29 cuddie cabin boat. The boat that I want needs to be priced under 20K, a low hour very well maintained cream puff that has been stored inside, and has a trailer. I have decided that a single 454 or 502 I/O is the engine combo that I want. There is a good selection of these boats on the trader-online site. Although we live in NC, I am going to be looking in the upper mid-west to find a boat that has been in fresh water only. We never see these type of boats here in the NC mountians, and I don't want a boat that has been in salt water.

Who builds the best boat of this type? Thanks for any input.

Charles

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: New Used Boat, Best Makes?

There is no "best". Your question is very broad.

As it turns out most of the brands are pretty good.

A few to look for that are popular and known to be at least above average.

Sea Ray
Four Winns
Regal
Monterey

If you need help once you have it narrowed down to a few boats post back here and we can give an opinion on a specific boat.

Right now is the time to buy. Search craigslist in Michigan, Illinois, Ohio and Wisconsin. You will probably find a lot of good boats in your price range right now.

grahamh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Admittedly, I don't know much about boat that big, but I do like the idea of having two engines (like the top link you posted) for safety if you do long distance/offshore cruising.

79MERC1150

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the advice, and the links. We are going to make a lists of potential boats, and make a road trip. Here in western NC houseboats, pontoon boats, and bass boats rule, so a cuddie cabin will be an oddity on the lake. I thought that I wanted a houseboat, but want to able to trailer the boat to the house and store it in the garage. Our garage is 30x70, so yes it will fit.

I have looked at some Sea Ray boats and they look good. I am considering Chaparal, Cobalt, and a Baja boats and wonder if these three brands are decent brands? I will stay away from Bayliner.

I am partial to Mercury and Mercruiser, and am not familier with Volvo. Which outdrive is the most durable, dependable, simple to maintain? Some boats have 460 Ford engines. Are the Fords decent? I have no issue with the GM engines, and have owned several big block Chevys and big block Fords over the years. Does anyone install a Powerstroke diesel I/O in this type of boat?

The argument for the advantages of twin engines is valid if one boats in the ocean, or Great Lakes, where a breakdown could be deadly. I am going to buy a single I/O because the lake we boat on is 39 miles long, 2 miles wide at the broadest point, and if one finds themselves stranded, it is not difficult to get a tow to the closest marina. For my purposes a single I/O represents less maintenance costs, and a 454 or 502 should be plenty powerful enough to do what we want to do.

Thanks again,
Charles

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I agree with you on the single engine choice. Half the headaches. Merc or Volvo drives are great. Stay away from OMC's as they are no longer fully supported with parts/service. I have heard that Ford has been out of the marine motor business for a while though I'm not sure how that has effected parts/service on those motors. You can't go wrong with a GM block hooked to a Merc or Volvo drive.

In this size range I don't think anyone makes a bad boat. Even Bayliner has a sold reputation once you get up into the larger sizes. I have heard that Cobalt is tops.

I think in this size and price range a full marine survey may be a very wise investment.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Glad you came back. Sometimes people post and then never return.

Sea Ray, Chap, Cobalt, Baja and others all make great boats. Baja is the odd one there as their focus is on go fast boats not cruisers. So now I ask are you looking for an express cruiser type boat or a standard "cuddy" or a more performance orientated boat? At 27-29 feet you are outside of the realm for typical "cuddy" and into an express cruiser if you are looking for a comfortable sleepable boat. If you are looking for a go fast boat then I would suggest several different brands than those.

Mercruiser or Volvo is up to you. I have not had a Volvo myself. However, I have been around them and like what I see. They get great reviews in all venues for all the right reasons. Maintenance is a big one.

I would stick with a GM based motor. The Ford 460s werent used in I/O applications for very long and parts availability may be more limited.

Diesels in an I/O can be very expensive. Both Volvo and Mercruiser offer diesels. However, to upgrade to diesel on a new boat increases the cost by several thousand dollars. These are not light truck based diesels. They are using either Cummins or Volvo intermediate truck based motors.

79MERC1150

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the information. The diesel is out due to price, and unless I stumble onto a Ford powered boat that happens to be a great deal, I will hold out for the GM big-block.

As for a performance cruiser versus a cuddie cabin, this is a learning process, as that is the first time hearing the term performance cruiser.

I want a boat that will cruise all day at 35mph, but will pull 50 or 60 mph out of it's hat when needed. I am not big on gadgets, but want a comfortable, sleek looking boat. I don't want a boat that looks like it's all cabin. I prefer a lot of open deck area. The cuddie cabin design works well for us, as the primary focus of the boat is a day cruiser, and we will be pulling skiers some. The wife and I will sleep onboard a couple of times each year, however the cabin will come in handy for napping grandchildren, and a potty is always a plus for the women. A rear swim platform is a must for the grandchildren.

We often rent a floating house to entertain the grandkids, so when we sleep on board the new cruiser, it will be supplimental bed space in addition to the two bedroom one bath floating rental house.

I am going to keep our current boat, a 176 Astroglass bass boat with a 115 outboard. It's 30 years old, and has been in our family since new. I couldn't sell it if I wanted to. Sort of like a family pet. But it makes a great fishing rig, and ski boat, so we probably have both the new boat and the old boat on the water at the same time.

The boat I have seen that we like is a 1996 Colbalt 28 foot cuddie cabin with a 454 HO, ans Mercruser outdrive, however we will consider other makes and models.

Charles

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

With the speed parameters you listed, it is a performance cruiser you are looking for. When you get to 27'+ cruisers with single engines, most like to cruise in the mid 20's and top out low 40's or less. You'll need one built for speed/performance and less for cabin space, etc. Fine, sounds perfect for what you will use it for. Your top end may be tough with single engine in a boat that size though.

Formula is the king of this style boat. IMO. Very well built, style and comfort. Cobalt made some also and they are great as well. Wellcraft Scarab maybe also. Sea Ray made (makes?) a boat like this - forget the name, starts with a "P" ?

Let us know what you find.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Formula
Baja
Powerquest
Wellcraft Scarab (non fishing style)
Sea Ray Pachanga
Fountain

That is a short list. There are many others that make a 27'+ boat that may be capable of 50-60 mph. As noted that speed, with that size, with a single engine will be really tricky....in fact finding a boat that size that is performance orientated with a single engine will be tricky.

A few definitions may be in order:

Cuddy Cabin - Boats generally in the 20-24' range with a V-Berth, accomodations for 2 adults. Porta-pottie and maybe a sink is typical. Cockpit is typically two captains chairs and a bench seat in the rear with a large sunpad over the engine. There are large boats that would be consider cuddies but they are pretty rare.

Express Cruiser - Boats generlly in the 24-35'+ range with one "stateroom" and an aft cabin to allow for at least 4 to sleep aboard. Full bathroom and galley is typical. The cockpit typically has a raised helm seat and then a U shaped bench at the rear.

Performance Cruiser - Generally 24'-35'+ Almost a go fast boat that is long and narrow but with better accomodations. Cockpit seating can be limited and headroom in the cabin is usually pretty tight. There may be a porta-pottie but typically only limited galley facilities.

These are definitions I just came up with so I'm sure they aren't perfect.

Post some links to boats you like. We can help narrow down your search if you give us more to work with.

I would be surprised if the 28' Cobalt would be capable of 50 mph. Cobalts are typically heavy boats. At that length a 454 is probably required just to get the boat to plane. I would think it may be 40-45mph boat.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

From the what-it's-worth file, trailering a boat that size will generally require a permit and special signage. Your tow vehicle should be up to the task, and the trailer will normally be required to have surge brakes on each axle.

Look at boats in the $30k. You might be surprised at what people will do to get rid of their "dream boat".

Good luck!

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Here are some boats from the iboats classifieds that I think may meet your requirements.

Baja 272 Islander, single 454
http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/marine_classifieds/adv-search.cgi?id=502255

Formula 272...this has twins.
http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/marine_classifieds/adv-search.cgi?id=533958

Formula 280 SS...this has twins.
http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/marine_classifieds/adv-search.cgi?id=560659

Fountain 27 Fever, Single
http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/marine_classifieds/adv-search.cgi?id=547904

BoatFool

Recruit

attachment.php

Here is someone who took tmh's advice. Keep that in mind.

Attachments

• Sinking Boat.jpg
    Sinking Boat.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Photo of one of my kids bailing out my brother's boat - he DID NOT use Mr. Boat Finder!!! His boat darn near sunk.

Leaky 80's Bayliner with a Force? Not the best used boat purchase one could make.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Actually, no leaks... water came in over the bow heading out to Lake Ontario from a bay. great photo though, except the odd face job!?!?!? The Force engine never quit even while sinking!

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

There may be nearly 30 ft cuddies out there, but for a boat that size you should look at mid-cabin cruisers.

79MERC1150

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again for all the info.

As for the permit, I am under the impression that if we stay under 8 foot 6 inches, we are legal.

As for the tow vehicle, it's a 2002 F-350 Crewcab, dually, 4x4, 6 speed, 7.4 diesel, 4:10 gears. I bought it new, and only use it for towing. It currently has 36K miles on it.

I figured that we needed a fast boat to be able to pull up skiers easily. A 35 MPH boat is OK if it has plenty of torque, and will get on top of the water quickly.

The lake we boat on is a man made mountain lake, (Fontana) and usually has lots of downed trees floating in it. Trees fall off of the mountain slopes into the lake. After a while they become waterlogged and sink, but one can always count on logs floating just under the surface. We probably will never operate the boat at a speeds above 30 MPH.

Charles

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thats an ambiguous question...great list for new boats but used boats don't hold up any better than a Bayliner if someone doesn't take care of them . Ive seen top of the line Cobalts in worse shape than 20 YO bayliners cause it wasn't maintained.and i don't mean washing her occasionally..i mean mechanic's..electric systems..cooling..filters..bottom work ect. theres alot more to a boat than looks.