Serious question about boat restoration and thurst for beer.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer
I just put in about 6 hours on the Batboat today and it is almost midnight. For the life of me I am having a hard time resisting going to the bar for a few drinks. Maybe I will resist long enough until it closes.

This happened before after long days of working on the boat and it got me thinking. What is it about laboring like this that makes people want to get drunk?

Is it the hours of thinking and concentration? The physical exertion? Dehydration from heat? or using muscles in ways not normally used?

It was extremely hot and humid today. My shirt was drenched and all I did was screw down one ply for the new deck! (yep. that took 6 hours.lol!)

I can't afford even one beer because I am moving in two weeks and will try to keep busy until the bar closes.:D

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Serios question about boat restoration and beer.

Re: Serios question about boat restoration and beer.

Or is the sence of accomplishment that you can only share with yourself that makes one thurst for the devils brew?

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Serious question about boat restoration and thurst for beer.

Any reason works for me :D, but they sure do taste better after a good hard days work...you hang in there, I'll have one for you ;):p

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

Another question.

It seems that anything other than Pilsner brew will induce a painful hangover or one that causes one to stay in bed all into the next evening. This only happens after working on my Batboat, strangley.

Do you guys experience the same with the more pricy, thicker stuff?

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

the hours of thinking and concentration? The physical exertion? Dehydration from heat?

All of the three combined make for a serious need to sit, chill and relax. That calls for a beer (or in my case right now, a Captain and Coke).

I can't comment on the types of beer. I drink Bass, Guinness and Newcastle and that's it. Call me a beer snob or whatever, but I've tried nearly everything in the States and that is what I have settled on. Three of any of them is fine for me, more causes a hangover (6'1" 160lbs). If the wife and I have a night of chit chat, I just have a hot glass of beef bullion in the morning and be fine 10 minutes later. I also have a habit of sleeping really well after drinking (I normally don't sleep well) and wake up ready to go at 6-8am no matter what, which isn't always a selling point, but does get me back on the boat earlier.

PS, seriously try the bullion cubes trick if you ever have issues with a hangover. I won't sober you up if you drank a bottle of vodka 3 hours earlier, but it will remove any hangover after you sober up. Great advice from an ER doctor friend. A hangover is caused by desalination of the blood, not dehydration which many people believe.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I used to drink Yeungling lager almost exclusively. Now, for whatever reason, it seems to give me a hangover before I'm even finished drinking. So I'm pretty much a Miller Lite or Corona Light guy now.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I didn't go to the bar but I went to the liquor store and got a 24 oz and 40 oz. and a bag of chips. Took my time drinking it and by 5:30 I was in bed.

Spent nearly $6. Now I am flat broke. :(

Now, back to work on the Batboat!

Rickairmedic

Commander

I gave up drinking 15 years ago and honestly havent missed it :D. I am a Dew aholic though which probably isnt any better for me but doesnt make me sick or my head hurt the morning after :D.

Rick

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the trick is.....dont get drunk.....

work on the boat....keep a bottle of beer around and keep sipping on it....

i go thru a beer every 45 mins or so on the boat...

every once in a while....ill sit down and have a full cold one.....but, mostly just have one sitting while working.

lately i have been chugging water and have a beer after the job....one....not a case.

i get more done on the water as the motivation seems to keep up but the corona after is a nice treat !

i think it doesnt matter what kind of beer it is.....just what ever you like !

but the water trick is working out really good :eek:

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

I gave up drinking for 10 years then I got married for the 3rd time.
My problen these days is I can't seem to get drunk even if I try, guess it just never leaves my system LOL

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

I gave up drinking for 10 years then I got married for the 3rd time.
My problen these days is I can't seem to get drunk even if I try, guess it just never leaves my system LOL

I get slurry after two glasses. :eek:

snal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After years of exhausting research, sampling all sorts of hops and barley, I finally came to the conclusion that my best golf game, best billiards game, best project concentration, and best personality...can be directly linked to 3 beers...no more...no less.
YMMV

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

I gave up drinking 10 years ago and it was the worst 15 minutes of my life:D

Wow that might make a good song (ya'll think so too)?

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

I gave up drinking 10 years ago and it was the worst 15 minutes of my life:D

I can identify with that

Wow that might make a good song (ya'll think so too)?

Sorry can't top you aint much fun since I quit drinking :D
Every time my ol lady complains about my drinking, I remind her I might not like her if im sober :eek: ROFL

16'Starcraft_StoneyCreek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't drink beer, drink Jack Daniels! It is easier on the liver.

:p

jonesg

Admiral

beeyah is not a Re-hydrator.