is OMC really that bad?

parrisw

Ensign
Re: is OMC really that bad?

Misery loves company.
If you own an OMC, you have to be able to justify your owning one. The fact remains. OMC is Dead>>>>>>> DOESN't exist anymore.
If you can fix the drive and all the OMC stuff yourself. then you will have problems.
Why BUY that problem to begin with.
If you can't fix the drive, and there aren't any techs around to fix them. Well, you are just flat stuck with buying used junk off the internet.
Why put yourself in that position to begin with.

Geeze seems as if your just hell bent on bad mouthing OMC. I actually see very few threads on here, about people with huge problems with OMC, I see it all being equal for the most part, with the other manufactures. You obviously have a big beef with OMC. Seems everybody here that has backed up OMC says so far no problem getting parts, yet you say you can't, and just stuck buying used junk??

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

Here's just one of a few websites I have saved that offer OMC parts and tools:

http://www.sterndrive.info/

I don't think there's one part that I can't have ordered and replaced by someone else in town for my entire engine and out drive. I just prefer to do it myself.

I also didn't have to look very far to find two locals who work on OMCs... and that's in the middle of Kansas.

I think if you stay away from the boat dealerships that look like cell phone stores you'll be able to find plenty of people willing to work on OMC drives. Of course I wouldn't really recommend even taking mercruisers to cell phone dealerships.

It's not like we're defending bad drives. The stringers have several advantages over Mercruisers. They just have a few problems you need to be familiar with... but so does Mercruiser who also has several advantages over the stringer.

Now the Chrysler out drive I had.... I couldn't find a single part for that piece of junk!

parrisw

Ensign

Here's just one of a few websites I have saved that offer OMC parts and tools:

http://www.sterndrive.info/

I don't think there's one part that I can't have ordered and replaced by someone else in town for my entire engine and out drive. I just prefer to do it myself.

I also didn't have to look very far to find two locals who work on OMCs... and that's in the middle of Kansas.

I think if you stay away from the boat dealerships that look like cell phone stores you'll be able to find plenty of people willing to work on OMC drives. Of course I wouldn't really recommend even taking mercruisers to cell phone dealerships.

It's not like we're defending bad drives. The stringers have several advantages over Mercruisers. They just have a few problems you need to be familiar with... but so does Mercruiser who also has several advantages over the stringer.

Now the Chrysler out drive I had.... I couldn't find a single part for that piece of junk!

Yup I just got the complete impeller kit from them this year.

MRS

Commander

I just got my impeller kit from napa and I did not have to pull the lower unit off my outdrive to change it like on the m well you know.:D

parrisw

Ensign

I just got my impeller kit from napa and I did not have to pull the lower unit off my outdrive to change it like on the m well you know.:D

Ya, this was the first time I've done it, I took apart a little more then I needed to, but oh well, no matter, was a learning experience, but it was easy to do. OMC is way easy to pull the leg off too!!!

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

It took me about 6 hours the first time I did it. I didn't have a manual and I did it without disconnecting the shift cable stop on the intermediate housing. :redface: Reading the manual sure sped that process up. :D

Let's time how long it takes a Mercruiser mechanic to remove an entire upper and lower mercruiser vs any one of us to remove an entire upper and lower stringer drive.... Then let's put the boat back in the water and see which one floats longer. :p

Then, lets run both engine without water for 3 minutes, put the boat back in the water and see which one makes it across the lake. Those OMC impellers can take one heck of a punishment. An old timer told me one of the reasons the OMC stringers fail is because the impellers are too strong. If you don't use a good sealant while sealing the water pump housing the water pressure in the pump and kill the seals (and drive shaft connection) over time. You just have to know how to treat the drive right if you want it to treat you right.

parrisw

Ensign

It took me about 6 hours the first time I did it. I didn't have a manual and I did it without disconnecting the shift cable stop on the intermediate housing. :redface: Readin the manual sure sped that process up. :D

Let's time how long it takes a Mercruiser mechanic to remove an entire upper and lower mercruiser vs any one of us to remove an entire upper and lower stringer drive.... Then let's put the boat back in the water and see which one floats longer. :p

Is yours mechanical shift then? Mine is electric shift. I like the electric shift. They shift so dam good!!!!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

is OMC really that bad?

Well.....NO...OMC was never "BAD"

It's not really a valid question anymore anyway.

Is it "smart" to buy a used boat with an OMC engine/drive installed? Maybe, and Maybe NOT.

It will depend on which model and how able you are to work on it.

If it's the "wrong model" I.E, the model that the "after-market" no longer supports with normal or typical "wear Parts"........Then DO NOT BUY it.

If you're looking at one that is completely supportable, (and you're capable of doing the work or you know someone that can do typical work on it, then it's might be ok) BUT YOU NEED TO DO YOUR "HOMEWORK"

Otherwise, stick to an engine & drive system that has a company still in existence!!

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

That's the best thing I like about the electric shift. Smooth, fast, trouble free shifting. My 305 powered tri-hull has electric shift. My cabin cruiser has two mechanical shift drives. They also started to shift well once I made the shift interrupter work. The previous owner upgraded the ignition to HEI without changing over the OMC shift interrupter which doesn't work with HEI. I just hooked up the existing shift interrupter switch to a resister attached to the HEI coil ground. It also shifts trouble free now... Not as fast ad the electric shift though.

I also have a 100 HP Evinrude that has an electric shift low end. It works a lot like OMC stringer. It has a push button shifter. It shifts very nicely as well. Just make sure you use the right gear oil in those things and they should give you any trouble at all. Also make sure to not leave it in gear when it's out of the water.

rs2k

Chief Petty Officer

Well.....NO...OMC was never "BAD"

It's not really a valid question anymore anyway.

Is it "smart" to buy a used boat with an OMC engine/drive installed? Maybe, and Maybe NOT.

It will depend on which model and how able you are to work on it.

If it's the "wrong model" I.E, the model that the "after-market" no longer supports with normal or typical "wear Parts"........Then DO NOT BUY it.

If you're looking at one that is completely supportable, (and you're capable of doing the work or you know someone that can do typical work on it, then it's might be ok) BUT YOU NEED TO DO YOUR "HOMEWORK"

Otherwise, stick to an engine & drive system that has a company still in existence!!

Good answer!

Bryan_S

Seaman

I like this thread,

I purchased a Fiberform 2500 cuddy a while back.....
OMC 800 with a omc 240 (351w)

First run out...... cooked off the exhaust bellows........ good times
second run out after fixing exhaust....... transom seal leaks...... not a good time when the launch is closed (lift launch)..... thank god for working bilge pumps :)

Third run out after fixing transom seal....... engine wont go over 2000 RPM without back firing through the carb......... not a good time

I havent been out on it since........ and since the motor seemed to have water in the oil, i did not winterize.

Ok so now I have purchased a new 351w $2000
since the exhaust was so corroded I bought a new exhaust manifold set $700
Intake manifold in bad shape ..... new edelbrock aluminum 351w performer manifold $300

Long story short here, I had no idea what i was buying when i bought this boat. The outside hull and interior were in literally Mint condition... like flawless. So one would assume ( i did :( ) that the engine and drive would have been as well maintained as the rest of the boat.
WRONG! ..... the engine has about an inch of mastic like sludge in the oil pan.... along with some h20 :eek: ... The timing chain I can move side to side about an inch and a half.... and can make it jump a tooth if i try hard enough.
YIKES!!!!!

OK so new motor is here.... TIME TO PULL THE OLD ENGINE... pulled the engine, and the input shaft from the intermediate housing is bent........ WTF gall dang it!!!!

found a perfect condition intermediate housing with bell housing, and tilt motor... oh and a perfect mint condition prop for 250. this thing looks brand new.

So with all the nickel and dime'n goin on here, im about 4000 dollars into this boat.

Im currently installing the engine with the new intermediate housing. Keeping my fingers crossed that i have no issues with the outdrive itself :x

Wish me luck,

I dunno what to say about omc yet...... ill let ya know in a few days heh

~Bryan S

OMCboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My boat is a 1969 Thermoglass 17.5' I/O bowrider with a GM 4cyl and OMC stringer drive. I believe it had a pretty good life and good maintenance (shop maintained) prior to being parked for several years, semi exposed(previous owner's kids grew up, lost interest, etc) and then I bought it. I have redone the boat itself (floor, transom, electrical) and put a new water pump in the leg, as well as some o-rings and seals, replaced lubes. No major work to the OMC parts. I just spent a week camping, boating with it every day (including pulling tubers) and the drive operated flawlessly (the steering let go, but that is another story). I was very impressed for a 40 year old boat, and feel very comfortable taking this boat on any local lakes, anytime. I am now going to invest the time and money into redoing the interior as I have determined it is a keeper.

Philosophically - I am a tinkerer, and the more that needs to be tinkered and rebuilt, the happier I am. I bought this boat knowing that the floor, motor mounts and transom would need to be done, and anticipated learning the art of glassing. There was never any desire or intent to ever take any part of this boat to a mechanic. It was bought as a learning project that would end with a family recreation toy. I would say that anyone who buys an older boat should be doing so with the intent of fixing it up themselves as a learning and growing experience. I expected to have to do a ton of work on the OMC part of it, but that seems to be the only part that didn't need any attention. But I have still enjoyed educating myself about these older drives and am quite impressed with the technology and innovation, for the year. If you are buying a boat to go boating, spend more money and buy a newer one that doesn't need work. The way I see it, if you aren't a DIY'er, it doesn't make sense to spend $3000 on a fixer upper, then pay someone else another $3000 to do the work, when you could have just spent the $6000 on a nicer boat to start with.

studdy05

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Speed: OMC broke or set world speed records every year from 1959-1991.

Having a past-time of training the occasional racehorse, I can tell you first hand the willingness to run and run fast, even with the best designs, you can and will find failures. At the end of the day, best of breed is still measured by speed and a stopwatch.

But OMC is dead? Well so is Man O War and Secretariat but the influence lives on, right along with the legend.

Stamina: I look at where the OMC guys are located when they post on here. Canada. Great Lakes. Pacific Northwest. Gulf of Mexico.

I look at where the Mercruiser guys post from. Lake 3 Acres. Bayou Smallmouth. Buddys Pond.

When you can take the harsh conditions of salt, and extreme temperatures, and BIG water - and not be worried about seeing land for days, you want to bank on the best. It's not Mercruiser.

I see OMC where it counts. Pay attention to those facts. You might see things different.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Pay attention to those facts
The facts are, OMC is no longer around. As time goes on, supported drives and OMC specific engine parts will eventually become more and more "scarce" and you'll be getting more and more "parts" from wrecking yards, etc....

I for one, won't be relying on used, junk yard parts with my Mercruiser......you could be with OMC.

If you want to buy a used boat, you need to keep that in mind.

Just an FYI on my limited experience (7 years with an OMC outdrive on a 1982 Sea Ray). It really was a pain. I bought my second boat a few months ago and I have had a very good experience with my Mercruiser so far.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Can't we all just get along.

toothlessgiggler.gif

We CAN all get along. We just need to keep the facts out in the open.

WizeOne

Commander

.....Misery loves company.....

AHHA! That explains all the Mercruisers. :rolleyes:
:D

Ain't that a fact. Yesterday I helped a friend re-install his 305 on a 898. When I had my OMC out, I had it back in and operating in a fraction of the time it took for this bucket of hoses, cables, gimbals, ...well you all know the rest of the story. We took two hours just trying to get a decent alignment as well.

I know that OMC's are not perfect but gimme a break, I'm 29 years and counting on a Hydro Mechanical and 34 years on the Electric shift intermediate housing. I had the drive resealed on general principals, three years ago and they replace the worn waterpump shaft as well and I've had three impellers in the boat, in that time, with no failures before I changed them on general principles.

Oh, and I am also on the original tilt motor as well (tricks applied). This boat has seen hundreds of hours of pulling as many as 5 single skiers (4 up behind the boat and a 5th with an extra rope passed off) This boat has also seen more....well I better not go there.

Suffice it to say, they were good. At least in my freshwater environment.

SmartTabs.jpg

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Yeah but you're in Wa State! :eek: You only get to use the thing about 1 month out of the year!!!;)