A penney bought me happiness.

Tyme2fish

Commander
Last month I went to the Dollar Store to buy my Aunt a can of wasp spray. She had some wasps trying to build a nest in her gutter downspout.
While I was standing in the checkout lane, an older man (I'm 57 and completely grey with a grey beard) was purchasing a single bottle of water. He had 3 quarters out and ready to pay and the bill was fifty-one cents. I also had my money out and quickly placed on the counter the penney the guy needed.He looked at me surprised and said "Well thanks young man." As I walked out to my truck, the old guy waved at me and smiled and I waved and smiled back. That penney sure bought me a lot of joy.
Went back to my Aunt's house and sprayed the wasps. She asked me the next day how much the spray cost,and I said "Just a penney."

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: A penney bought me happiness.

I don't get it. I think it's supposed to be a "feel good" story but I don't follow. Is this about getting your penny back?

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

It's nice to be nice.

I like it.

And I get where you're coming from...........................

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I'll give you a penny for your thoughts.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Very nice of you....just my 2 cents

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

WOO HOO
I made a penny.

Now I'm happy too !!

bandit86

Banned

last year I made just about a hundred grand and I still pick up the pennies I find. I personally hate pennies, but they do add up

Bump
Some people just don't know when to fish or cut bait. :rolleyes:
TTF, you wise these non-perceptive people up and you will be cursed forever. ;)

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Non-perceptive? It's a totally non-sequitur story line FCOL...with no logical/obvious conclusion. It's nice to be nice...I agree!

crunch

Commander

Tyme2fish said:
Last month I went to the Dollar Store to buy my Aunt a can of wasp spray. She had some wasps trying to build a nest in her gutter downspout.
While I was standing in the checkout lane, an older man (I'm 57 and completely grey with a grey beard) was purchasing a single bottle of water. He had 3 quarters out and ready to pay and the bill was fifty-one cents. I also had my money out and quickly placed on the counter the penney the guy needed.He looked at me surprised and said "Well thanks young man." As I walked out to my truck, the old guy waved at me and smiled and I waved and smiled back. That penney sure bought me a lot of joy.
Went back to my Aunt's house and sprayed the wasps. She asked me the next day how much the spray cost,and I said "Just a penney."

Spray cost just a penny???... obviously in the confusion of someone helping another without immediate compensation, you got out of the store without paying for the Wasp spray.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

The only bit I don't understand is how a bottle of water cost 57cents in a Dollar Store...........shouldn't it have been a dollar d:)d:)

Tyme2fish

Commander

Ok. I'm not the best teller of stories. The guy could use a penney instead of giving the cashier 75 cents and getting 24 cents change.I gave him the penney and he was happy. That made me happy. The wasp spray was about $3.99 but I never told my Aunt what it cost. I was just doing her a favor. I hope that is not obtuse. No., I never got the penney back. But giving that penney away was just a neighborly thing to do and it made me feel good. Clear enough now???? Now I kinow why I followed Scrapper to the other board. All I wanted to do was post a feel good story and I get grief over it. Enough already.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I wasn't meaning to give you grief, I was just trying to get the point of your story as I wasn't sure I got it at first. My apologies if you were offended...

Link

Rear Admiral

Well TTF
I have always believed that no good deed goes un-noticed.
What goes around comes around. (in ones life)
Made me smile just reading your post!
Made him happy, the cashier saw it and what you got out of it ..
Priceless! :)

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Don't lose heart TTF, I liked the story the minute I read it and I knew exactly what you were getting at, sometimes it's the small things in life that make such a huge difference.

A little example that happened to me a couple of months ago: we were on point duty (directing traffic) at the exit from a motorway. It was a scorching hot sunny day and we'd both left our caps in the vehicle (big mistake).
The traffic jam was long and slow moving, people were losing their tempers and some shouted abuse as they passed (knowing that as they sped away we couldn't do much other than get the plate number and report it).
A car pulled alongside where I was standing and I was beckoned across: now two things went through my mind, what was about to be thrown at me (verbally or physically) or where did they want directions to..........
instead, the female passenger commented on what a terrible job we had to do in such weather and handed me a boiled sweet, better still, a chocolate lime.
A small, friendly gesture that made me feel human again, a wonderful feeling and very kindly received by me.

Keep doing the small things, they are big things in someone else's mind, trust me!

Link

Rear Admiral

stan_deezy said:
Don't lose heart TTF, I liked the story the minute I read it and I knew exactly what you were getting at, sometimes it's the small things in life that make such a huge difference.

A little example that happened to me a couple of months ago: we were on point duty (directing traffic) at the exit from a motorway. It was a scorching hot sunny day and we'd both left our caps in the vehicle (big mistake).
The traffic jam was long and slow moving, people were losing their tempers and some shouted abuse as they passed (knowing that as they sped away we couldn't do much other than get the plate number and report it).
A car pulled alongside where I was standing and I was beckoned across: now two things went through my mind, what was about to be thrown at me (verbally or physically) or where did they want directions to..........
instead, the female passenger commented on what a terrible job we had to do in such weather and handed me a boiled sweet, better still, a chocolate lime.
A small, friendly gesture that made me feel human again, a wonderful feeling and very kindly received by me.

Keep doing the small things, they are big things in someone else's mind, trust me!

Go to bed Stan.. I'm trying to.. :)

To the world you may be one person
But to one person you may be the world!

When ever I start to get ticked at someone for (doing something stupid in my mind) I try to remind myself of that daily.

Tyme2fish

Commander

handed me a boiled sweet, better still, a chocolate lime.

Nice gesture. Now, if I only knew what a boiled sweet was. I'm across the pond and have no idea, but it sounds good.!! Thanks for the good word.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Cheers TTF, boiled sweets: just your basic sweetie, bound to have them in the States. Mint Imperials? Butterscotch? Barley Sugar Drops? Aniseed Balls?

That's the problem, two nations divided by a common language d:)d:)