Transom cap removal???

rsp95

Seaman
I have a 62 Niagara Custom and it needs to have the transom replaced. I finally removed the motor but am now having problem with the cap. The last screws are not accessible so removing them is a problem. I've never done anything like this before so I'm not sure what to do. Can someone please help me?

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 0

pduquette

Ensign
Re: Transom cap removal???

Hi rsp95 , Welcome aboard too ! There should be an arrow-shaped trim retainer at the rear of the gunnel cap .take out the screw and tap off the aluminum trim untill you can access the last two screws . Be paitent and work carefully , exact replacement parts aren't available . Hopefully Bob or Ed will chime in with more detail - my transom was butchered when I got my Oxford. peter

rsp95

Seaman

Thanks pduquette. I will try that tonight. I saw a preview of the rot and she needs a new transom badly. I believe I will use Seacast so if anyone has any tips I can sure use it.

pduquette

Ensign

Read through Landscapewiz , edc, and mark42 , threads they have their projects detailed well . If you click on the link at the bottom of mark42's link he has many typical niagra projects detailed . peter

what part of the country are you from????

rsp95

Seaman

I live in the NorthEast corner of the country in Topsham, Maine.

I will check the threads you mentioned. I have seen a few of mark42's work and I am very impressed.

rsp95

Seaman

The cap is off. On to cutting some fiberglass and then removal of wood.

pduquette

Ensign

Great ! work patiently - don't try to dig / rip too much at once . Are you using a forsner drill or chisel method? peter

rsp95

Seaman

Tonight I was able to get about half way down. I used an auger bit but the wood was so soft and mushy that I ended up using a narrow pry bar to dig most of it out. I may try a chain saw tomorrow but that's a little intimidating. After seeing the condition of the wood, I am so glad I decided to open her up and fix her correctly. Any tips on what type of tools I should use when I get to the lower part of the transom?

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

Hi rsp95 - For the bottom half of mine I used a wood auger bit with a shaft extension. When I got close to the bottom I dulled the bit's point on the grinder so it wouldn't go through the bottom of the boat.:eek: I then just ground up the wood section by section and removed it with a long pry bar and shop vac.

Good Luck, MFGs are great boats to work on. Oh yeah, keep those pictures coming. :D:D

BOB

rsp95

Seaman

Here are a few pics of my progress. I can't believe how rotten it was. In some spots, the wood was more like mud. On the bright side, it is somewhat easier to remove it this way, I think.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 0

rsp95

Seaman

Got most of the wood out last night so I have the sides and bottom left. In the process I destroyed one of the through-hull fittings so I'll need to get myself a flange tool to install a new one. Think positive, think positive.

rsp95

Seaman

Thanks Ken.

They didn't go into details on how clean the inside has to be but according to most of the post in this forum, it should be very clean.

A couple of nights ago I did the sides and I'm now working on the very bottom portion. This is going to take me a while. I tried to purchase a fosner bit but the shaft on those were thicker in dimension and didn't fit my extension. I'm using a pry bar at the moment and it's a very slow process. Patience Rick, patience.

Would it be easier to remove the wood if it wasn't so wet? Should I let it dry up a little?

rsp95

Seaman

Hi EdC, Thank you for the help. I can probably find the parts but I have a problem that I can't weld. I don't even know anyone that can weld. Looks like a great tool though. Wanna sell it? ;)

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No welding needed.... Go to the local big box store, get a piece of steel ( 3/4" wide, 1/8" thick by 36'' long) and bend it in a vice to 90 degrees. I ground a chiesel point on the end. real easy..........

rsp95

Seaman

I will give that a shot. Thank you, thank you.

rsp95

Seaman

Got through half of the bottom and I should be able to finish it off tonight. Thank goodness. Sand, vacuum, clean the sides, tape off holes, then seacast. Please advice if I missed any steps.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Your "through hull" fittings are not really through hulls but bilge drains. But that's OK. Basically, you can buy new brass ferules here on iBoats or at any West Marine and even Kmart or Wallymart. I would install them before the seacast goes in.