Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

mikezohsix

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Poor Man's Skiboat...Restore?

The tin guys have it so easy :)

You know, I was thinking the same thing.

I got deeper into my project than I wanted, but all I had to do was drill out a few rivets, chip out the foam, and vacuum it out, and I'm back to like new. Pulled the engine, outdrive, transom, got it cleaned up and ready to go to the "repair" phase in a little over four hours.

I don't envy you at all....

here's the thread on my project...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=362705

BobsGlasstream

Commander

System-f,
Sorry to hear about all the trouble you are having. Grinding through the haul :eek:.
I haven't even started grinding out the old glass yet but will be at it soon. I hope to learn from all of you. :(
Keep the faith.
Bob

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Mike, I have been following your project closely and love your boat. I cannot wait to see it finished.

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you using a flapper disc on your grinder?? If not you should look into it. Keep up the good work and stop grinding threw the hull:mad::mad:.

system-f

I have tons of flappers, but they do not remove enough material. There is a massive amount of badly glassed in stringer supports that must go and metal grinding or masonary grinding wheels remove way more glass and last forever. I spent 3 hours on grinding a 10 foot section and I still have to smooth it out with the belt sander before I can get the stringer in.

I would rather go through the hull and have to patch it up then leave this crap in the boat. Some of these glassed seams have mud and sand under them!!!! Not acceptable to keep that in there if I am going this far :) At this point I think I am going to run some 1708 tape under the stringers before I bed them.

In other news I picked up my wood today.

5 1/2" exterior plywood panels
2 3/4" exterior plywood panels
4 1x6" 10 foot boards
2 1x6" 12 foot boards
1 1x12" 14 foot board to play with

system-f

It started raining like crazy here and I got the hull in the garage just in time.

I am 80% done with my grinding for the stringers. I still have lots of transom grinding left and need to go over the places for the stringers with the belt sander so the new glass will have a smoother attachment point.

The dirty areas in the pictures are places I haven't ground out since nothing will be attached there and I do not want to thin the hull out.

Here is the wood.

100_1434_small.jpg

The hull is somewhat cleaned out so I can see what needs to be belt sanded.

100_1435_small.jpg

The lower part of the transom really needs to be gone through.

100_1436_small.jpg

BobsGlasstream

Commander

System-f
Your getting close to end of the destruction phase. They all say that putting it back together is a lot more fun. :cool:
Just for info, you were right about my transom too. Rotten at the bottom. :mad:
Have fun man,
Bob

system-f

I sure did find out what that belt sand is good for tonight...sanding down the transom. The belt sander is really starting to level things out nicely!

system-f

I put the cap back on tonight to get ready for transom/stringers/deck and BOY am I glad I did. Everything is all out of wack and all I can say is @#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$@$@#%@#%@#$ What a pain this is going to be to get all of those little holes to line back up. Pics later when I am feeling better. Cold front came in and it brought the sick with it.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey system-f,
I could actually read you scrip.LOL :p
You will get it.
Keep the faith.
I have read a lot of threads where people are having problems with the boat changing shape and causing problems.
I may learn from this and do mine in stages to avoid those issues as much as possible. I keep taking measurements as I take things out and have not seen any movement yet. Hope I don't.
Good luck
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

Now that sucks man. I hope you feel better. I am going to start glassing my transom tomorrow.

system-f

I am lucky because I am home all week doing online training for work. This morning some tree cutting guys said they needed into the backyard because they were removing tree limbs around the power lines. No big deal...so I thought. Then around 3:30, right before my online class ends, my cable internet goes out. Sure enough it looks like the cable line to my house was nicked with a chain saw :( I got lucky and somehow it came back online, but the sick is still with me :( In my enraged state, after finding out what happened to my cable line, I started tinkering with the rub rail and hull. I found that once a screw was lined up between the cap, rubrail and hull it would pull the hull towards the cap and line up the next hole and so on and so on. SO, I found the trick and the cap is securely back on. My US composites order got here today and man did I order a lot of CSM. I don't think I am going to have enough biax, but I sure hope so. I really should have gotten 20 yards of roving too.

This weekend I hope to get the transom in and start playing with the glass some.

system-f

have read a lot of threads where people are having problems with the boat changing shape and causing problems.
I may learn from this and do mine in stages to avoid those issues as much as possible. I keep taking measurements as I take things out and have not seen any movement yet. Hope I don't.

This is exactly why I wanted the cap back on before the transom, stringers and deck go in. The hull is going to move with the cap off, but with all the wood removed it is very flexable and easily goes back to shape. Also, my rear transome skin moves A LOT. I must have the cap on when the transom goes in to get it 100% right.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

System-f
I'm glad you thought of it now, Before you got it back together and then found it. That would have been a major problem.
I keep a close eye on your thread and others trying to avoid the same problems myself.
You are moving a lot faster then me.
So I watch and learn.
Not to mention that this forum is very addictive.:)
Good luck
Bob

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

System F

Firstly hope you feel better!

second Wow the boat usre is coming along NICE JOB!

and my 2 cents.....

put the transom wood in BEFORE you cap it off...you might NOT be able to get it in there in one piece otherwise....
after looking at BEFORE pics you definetly wont be able to put a full transom wood piece in there...do it before on the big transom wood part before capping...the smaller 2 layers of wood should go in easy after capping

or at-least check that poss problem issue out before bolting 200 screws in place then having to remove em to get the transom wood in..... DOH!!
either way you would most likely be able to flex the hull into place after that transom wood is in.

thats my 2 cents!

buy ALOT of resin.....7 to 9 gallons will likely be used OUCH!!!!!! about $300 worth :eek:

system-f

I have 10 gallons of resin in the house and a local supply place can get me 5 gallons at $80 a pop. I really like US composites, but resin is heavy and poly is dangerous which jacks up shipping big time. I paid almost $200 in handiling fees and shipping for my order.

The cap is already back on, but I shoud be able to jimmy the transom wood in there because of the way the rear deck is and how short it is. Also I removed a significant part of the rear cap seat backs in order to fit my new seating design.

system-f

Here are some more pictures. First I will start off with the supplies I purchased today at Lowes:

2 gallons of Acetone
3 2 1/2 quart mixing containers
4 1 quart mixing containers
2 small tubes of PL for the transom
8 foam rollers
1 roller holder
2 3" putty spreaders
1 4" putty spreader
2 3" brushes
2 2" brushes
1 trowel
2 plastic brush trays

100_1442_small.jpg

system-f

Here are the pictures of the empty hull with the cap back on:

100_1437_small.jpg

100_1443_small.jpg

100_1444_small.jpg

100_1445_small.jpg

100_1446_small.jpg

100_1446_small.jpg

system-f

Tonight I figured it was time to start building up the transom. So first I took measurments which were easy. Exactly 4' wide and 2' tall at the sides plus the curve which I had from the old transom.

Test fit:

100_1448_small.jpg

I know my plywood is not super pretty, but it is exterior grade and everything else in my area that looked good was indoor rated only.

One whole small tube of PL premium.

100_1449_small.jpg

Both pieces together:

100_1450_small.jpg

Now, when I first pulled the Infiniti up on the transom the top part slid about 1/4" out of wack due to the compression of the liquid PL. So I had to use a mechanical means to hold them together. Two small holes were drilled and two screws used to hold the transom together.

Here it is ready to cure for 24: (the wood is not warped, my garage floor is)

100_1451_small.jpg

thrillhouse700

Lookin good dude. If you plan on PLing more things just go and buy the contractor tube and the big caulking gun, should be about 15 bux for both. The contractor tube is 6.99 and is worth about 2.5 of the smaller tubes. Smaller tubes go for 5 bux in my lowes.

Also get about a thousand more of those 1qt mixing cups, go to HD and grab as many free mixing sticks they will allow you, they come in handy like no other. Also get a box of white painters rags, some tack cloth.

To make sure our hull didn't settle we measured the cap across and the hull and tied wire and sinched the sides in where needed and everything lined up fine. But your cap is already back on :)

Looking really good man, congrats!