Starcraft project: "STOLEN" PIC UPDATE 7-31-09 COMPLETED!!

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: Starcraft project: "STOLEN" PIC UPDATE 7-21-09

Andy you could try the goof off but liquid nils is pretty stout stuff .

Rick

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Andy you could try the goof off but liquid nils is pretty stout stuff

Indeed. I kinda doubt a chemical would touch it. It IS fairly brittle though so I would think the wire wheel would make short work of removing it. You might actually make more work for yourself by "softening" it up with a chemical remover.

Andy in NY

Commander

Indeed. I kinda doubt a chemical would touch it. It IS fairly brittle though so I would think the wire wheel would make short work of removing it. You might actually make more work for yourself by "softening" it up with a chemical remover.

well i attempted it the other night, but it just gummed up the wire wheel!

Andy in NY

Commander

Well I got my side panels all done today... was going to start on the dash but then it started raining...

so 2 negative things happened... first they sent me the wrong color. i ordered grey, they sent me white. but thats okay... they will look okay with the grey floor and seats.

second is the rivets werent long enough to attach the bottom bracket to them. i thought 5/8 would be enough, but i hadnt taken into account the thickness of the vinyl. so what i ended up doing was putting in the rivets for looks (i had already drilled the holes) and then hit it with some ss screws from the back.

1248390011.jpg

1248389771.jpg

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Sweet panel Andy!

From the liquid nails website..

In general, LIQUID NAILS adhesives & caulks can be scraped off when they are softened either by:

1.Heating above 140?F with an electric heat gun or blow dryer.

2.Coating the adhesive with petroleum jelly or mineral spirits for several hours to several days. (Note that mineral spirits are not recommended for tub surrounds, vinyl, plastic, painted or varnished.)

Rickairmedic

Commander

Side panel looks great Andy looks like you are getting closer to the end of the tunnel :D.

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

Sweet panel Andy!

From the liquid nails website..

In general, LIQUID NAILS adhesives & caulks can be scraped off when they are softened either by:

1.Heating above 140?F with an electric heat gun or blow dryer.

2.Coating the adhesive with petroleum jelly or mineral spirits for several hours to several days. (Note that mineral spirits are not recommended for tub surrounds, vinyl, plastic, painted or varnished.)

hmmm, maybe i will try heating them (think my wifes hair dryer crank out more than 140 degrees??

Side panel looks great Andy looks like you are getting closer to the end of the tunnel :D.

Rick

yup... but im not sure im going to make my self imposed aug 1st splash date... cuz we leave for vacation on the 5th, and i wanted to take it out at least once before then... not that we are taking it with us, just wanted to do it before leaving. but then ive got a ton going on when we get back, then im taking my son camping on the 21st and wanted to bring it with me then.

right now my punchlist looks like this:

-at least 1 if not 2 more coats on floor
-install side panels
-vinyl the dash
-install motor
-install controls
-wiring, inc new switch panel
-hardware (cleats, etc)
-install seats
-fix trailer shock
-trailer wiring

i think thats it...oh yeah, before i can install the panels i have to get that damn liquid nails off!!! CURSE WHOEVER PUT IT THERE!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Hey Andy what water to you frequent in your area? I lived in Ithaca and Syracuse for a few years back in the mid-90s and I know that you've got your choice of quite a few lakes around there.

Do you ever cruise on the finger lakes?

I'd imagine that 16' would be fun to take on Lake Ontario on a calm day.

That checklist is getting smaller and smaller:) Good work and good luck with the liquid nail situation.:eek:

If you figure out a good way to easily remove it that may be cause for its own thread since many folks prob have had that problem.

Andy in NY

Commander

Hey Andy what water to you frequent in your area? I lived in Ithaca and Syracuse for a few years back in the mid-90s and I know that you've got your choice of quite a few lakes around there.

Do you ever cruise on the finger lakes?

I'd imagine that 16' would be fun to take on Lake Ontario on a calm day.

That checklist is getting smaller and smaller:) Good work and good luck with the liquid nail situation.:eek:

If you figure out a good way to easily remove it that may be cause for its own thread since many folks prob have had that problem.

We pretty much just hang out at Chateaugay Lake, which is just about 10 miles from us. the finger lakes and lake ontario are a few hour drive from here.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Andy sounds like you need to stock up on 5 hour energy and hit it like I did last night ( and dont leave the tpe on to long :D ) .

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

Andy sounds like you need to stock up on 5 hour energy and hit it like I did last night ( and dont leave the tpe on to long :D ) .

Rick

well, its all dependant on the rain...

and waiting for santa clause to come again... ordered some new trailer lights so i need them obviously to be able to rewire the trailer.

but my thoughts are tonight im going to get ALL the wiring wrapped up come hell or high water. hopefully get the dash vinyl on today too. im going to call my sister in law and see if i can use her garage tonight for a bit if it rains.

Rickairmedic

Commander

I would let you use my garage Andy but I think the drive might be counterproductive :D.

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

I would let you use my garage Andy but I think the drive might be counterproductive :D.

Rick
ya, seeing as how it would be a 14-15 hour drive, and I dont have working lights on the trailer...

Rickairmedic

Commander

Andy this wont help you much now in your haste to get things done but for future referance . You can build decent temporary shelter with a 20X30 tarp and some 2" PVC and fittings :D.

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

Andy this wont help you much now in your haste to get things done but for future referance . You can build decent temporary shelter with a 20X30 tarp and some 2" PVC and fittings :D.

Rick

Gee, thanks. Where were you 3 weeks ago?
:p

Andy in NY

Commander

well, i had a VERY productive day today... brought the boat to my sister in laws to use her garage.

I got the reg stickers on, wiring roughed in, dash vinyl roughed ready to be glued, cubbys cleaned and painted (which i went back to the wire brush with... just took a while) and another coat of paint on the deck.

1248489973.jpg

1248489852.jpg

im wiped, and i have to be up at 7 to go work on the habitat for humanity house... then a birthday party for my 9 (going to be 10) year old, so i dont know if i will get anything done tomorrow... or sunday because my step daughter goes to camp... we'll see how early i get back.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Andy I have faith you keep working like that and you'll be on the water by your date :D.

Rick

Huron Angler

Admiral

That windshield looks great with the flip open. I'll bet that is nice to let in a breeze when running WOT, I guess you'll know in a couple weeks:)

Is there any sort of step to get up on the bow? I've seen them on some Starcrafts of that vintage. Nice spot for fishing or relaxing/sunbathing. Do you see that happening or do you plan on keeping the crew amidships?

Rickairmedic

Commander

Huron the sad part on the Jupiters is the opening windshield actually makes no sense other than for the breeze the bow isnt strong enough to support much more than an 8 year old maybe .

Rick

Huron Angler

Admiral

Huron the sad part on the Jupiters is the opening windshield actually makes no sense other than for the breeze the bow isnt strong enough to support much more than an 8 year old maybe .

I don't know if the jury is out on that Rick...I(6'5" 220) stand on my buddy's 14' 1967 Cadillac Riviera bow all the time and it feels as strong as can be:)
This is a shot right after he bought her w/25hp motor/trailer for $400:eek:
DSCF2330.jpg

After he cut out the bow I still stand on the aluminum and it holds up...it is actually stronger being that the area is smaller and when you stand it's closer to the solidly reinforced sides(the 'Lacs are ALMOST as well-built as the Starcrafts...sadly just not nearly as common(bought out back in the 70s), my friend is LUCKY to have gotten her especially at that price)...and yes I did drink those Labatts, love some Canadien beer:D
DSCF2569.jpg

Do you think that this boat's beam is more narrow enough to strengthen the bow area enough to stand while the wider boats can't support as much weight? I would say that the aluminum used by Starcraft is probably thicker and should be fine to stand on.