Tilt and Trim for a 70 hp 1977 johnson

Jstep

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Tilt and Trim for a 70 hp 1977 johnson

Can one of the units from a V4 be adapted for a 3-cyl somehow? Seems like there are a few more of the V4 units on eBay.

--John

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

For $649, he is asking alot for a can of blue spray paint. Take a close look at that exhaust housing mounting bracket, or is that a big zinc anode?

Jstep

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, it's really outrageous. For that kind of coin, I would get the CMC instead. That's a no-brainer. I was hoping to clock in at least under $300. Any more than that, and I'm not sure I want it that bad on this boat.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yeah that's where I'm at. Heck anything more than $400 would go a long way towards a whole newer motor with T&T!!

Jstep

Seaman Apprentice

I'm pretty happy with my motor, especially for it's age. I don't think the boat could handle a lot more anyway. Not having the trim is a big downer, though, because the rivers and lakes on the chain are very shallow. I usually paddle out to the middle of the river where it's dredged out before I drop the motor and start it up. Otherwise, I run the risk of ruining the prop.

The good part is, if I get in trouble on the river here, I can just wade out! :D

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

FYI

I have a 70hp OMC parts catalog covering Johnson Evin and OMC. Be happy to e-mail copy of power trim & tilt. Anyway the part number for motor lists as #394176, and shows as available on this web site. (www.propelledmarine.com/trim_motors_pumps_OMC.htm) Don't have a clue about these guys but assume its legit. They show the whole motor with wiring for $96.00. My poor old 77-70hp evinrude has muscle trim and tilt but you can bet if I ever find one cheap I'll buy it.

PS: I have really been impressed by the number of original OMC parts still available for these old engines. Glad I bought mine it was probably the last chance for me to get back in the water, and after about 35 years experience I know it's a great engine.

Safe boating ya'll

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The unit I was watching on ebay went for $500!!!!! I don't think my motor is worth that much!

Jstep

Seaman Apprentice

Are the brackets that bolt to the motor easier to find by themselves? There's a trim and tilt unit from a 1975 65hp Johnson for sale locally here, but it looks like the bracket is for a 4cyl and I have a 3cyl. :confused:

If it's not a 3cyl bracket, would it be fairly easy to fabricate something?

4cyltrimbacket.jpg

--John

Jstep

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I ended up scoring one on eBay for $98 that says it needs the motor replaced. Hopefully my buddy Greg can help me rebuild it instead, but even if I have to buy a new motor, I think I'll make out OK.

There's another one for sale on Craigslist here if anyone is interested: http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/boa/1241561201.html