Tilt and Trim for a 70 hp 1977 johnson

katthetone

Cadet
Hi I am looking to replace the tilt and trim on our 70 hp 1977 johnson model # 70EL77S. I think it would be cheaper and easier for us to just replace the whole thing, since someone has cut off the wires from the motor, and there is no trim on the throttle so it will need to be toggle switched. We are new at the boating thing, I am wonder what models I can use, since I dont see one on this websites store parts. I see up to a 35 hp, for a Johnson but not a 70 hp. Any ones on there that would work without a lot of mucking around?
I see several on Ebay, but dont know which ones to buy? Any place to find the fits for it. I was quoted a major amount from a dealer... going used if I can and putting it on ourselves. Want all parts need, so if anyone has one around that would work, let me know. Thanks lots.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tilt and Trim for a 70 hp 1977 johnson

The changed the whole design in for the '78 model year. The one you need is $$$ and hard to come by. Seriously consider trying to get your existing one working.

katthetone

Cadet

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...80369382577&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

This is the one I bought today. The guy assures me that it will work for my 1977 70 hp. I freakn hope so as I missed out on buying on like my old one, because I was dealing with this guy. He says it has a 7 day return if its the wrong one. I will let you all know since its an ebay thing. And suppost to be someone who knows his stuff... crossing my fingers. I will be right ticked if I lost out on the right one for his wrong one, on his word. I emailed him and phoned him asking him several times also giving him my model #. Its really hard to know who's advice to go with. Anyways this is the guys info.
I will let everyone know how it works out.

For all of your used freshwater outboard motors and parts contact:

Northland Performance
106 W. 3rd Ave
P.O. Box 697
Keewatin, MN 55753
Phone: (218)778-6166
FAX: (218)778-0236

For sale is a trim unit that was removed from a 1991 60 HP Johnson Outboard Motor. This trim unit has been tested and is in good working order. If you have any questions, plea use eBay's e-mail system or just call Paul at (218)778-6166.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I don't think that's going to work. The T&T you need has the rams mounted outside the transom bracket. Totally different animal. Perhaps there's some way you can adapt it.

katthetone

Cadet

Great, just my luck. This is why I dont trust people. Now I have a 550.00 piece I cant use, and am now stuck lifting a motor with my little 110 pound frame. I didnt want to adapt anything that is why I asked him several times. how about this thing.... Will this work? I have most of what is left. My husband is going to be pissed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...Track=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:us
This is like the one I let get away because this guys said the one above was the right one. But only the other one had more with it... I hate when people think they know what they are talking about. Good thing I have a 7 day return on the one I already bought, I am calling him in the am to tell him I want a refund and not to send it out. As it will only come back to him. Wasting all of our time.
thanks so much for your advice, now I know why everyone I know says are you sure you guys want to buy a boat, they are nothing but trouble. lol...
This is the one I let go earlier today because of this guy... is this the right one I should have bought??? crossing my fingers I didnt screw up that bad, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...eName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123#ebayphotohosting
thanks for all the advice, nice job on the boat by the way, looks stylen.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...eName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123#ebayphotohosting
thanks for all the advice, nice job on the boat by the way, looks stylen.

Yep, That's the exact one you want. The rams are on the outside. The first one is close but the plate for it will only fit the larger V4 motors. I'll be watching that auction for my 85.

For the money you are spending DEFINITELY get the CMC unit. The only reason I haven't gotten it is because I'm only willing to spend about $200. It is an awesome piece of hardware and they really hold their value. If you get a newer boat or motor in a few years you could very well sell the CMC for darn near what you paid for it.

katthetone

Cadet

Well commander, going to get in on my find hey... well it already sold, while I was busy buying the wrong one, cuz the guy said it was the right one. But I just heard back from him and he said he will refund my $$.
But as far as letting me know what one I really need and conferming it for me thanks lots.
You guys have been nothing but speedy and acurrate and so helpful.
Maybe I will keep the old girl, only because I have such helpful bunch.
Thanks.

mitchell6

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good luck getting one at a reasonable price i been watching and bidding on one's similar to what your looking for for 2 years now. They are rare I guess cause I can't find one around here Good luck

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That looks like the plate for a V4 not a 3cyl.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

There was two of these unit's made as far as the pump motors,Presto-lite, and Cal-Co. You do not want the CAL-CO.

Miller2

Recruit

I went through the same process for the same T&T, turned out the electric motor seized. I found a place locally that was able to rebuild and re wire it for $50.00.

katthetone

Cadet

I went through the same process for the same T&T, turned out the electric motor seized. I found a place locally that was able to rebuild and re wire it for $50.00.

That is the best suggestion, I heard so far thanks. I don't know why I didnt think of that? sweet!! Cheers:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I don't know why I didn't think to suggest that. I guess I didn't pay much attention to the fact that you already had T&T but it was broken. Heck yes, Miller2 is right! I think those auto electric places (alternators, starters, etc) can rebuild just about any electric motor.

Jstep

Seaman Apprentice

Good luck getting the motor rewired. A friend of mine has done that with fan motors, so it should be quite doable.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a 1975 Johnson 70hp motor, and would like to add a power trim/tilt to it. While all the experts are here, which setup would work with my motor? I believe the model number is 70ESL75. I can't double-check because I'm at work, but I'm pretty sure about that.

Thanks!
--John

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a 1975 Johnson 70hp motor, and would like to add a power trim/tilt to it. While all the experts are here, which setup would work with my motor? I believe the model number is 70ESL75. I can't double-check because I'm at work, but I'm pretty sure about that.

Thanks!
--John

Pre-1978 motors need the setup with the tilt rams mounted outside of the transom bracket. This guy's price is completely ridiculous but this is the exact system you need with a good picture of what it looks like http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330328533208

The system for the larger V4 motors looks very similar but the plate that mounts on the motor is larger.