Tsunami Relief vs. Flood/Landslide Relief

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Saw one of those cartoons in the paper, you know, the ones that always are in the political section of the news paper.....it showed a large transport with "Tsunami Relief" on the side of it. Standing by was a man and woman holding out a tin cup with "Flood and Landslide Relief" printed on it. <br /><br />I personnally know folks that are still fighting for relief from Septembers flooding here in the Ohio Valley. Nearly every day you hear news casts about folks having to move because landslide are taking out there homes...same as in California. Areas are being declared disastor areas but where is our government? FEMA is almost worthless. Friend of mine lost the whole back of his house in September. FEMA said they won't help cause he makes to much money and his insurance said they won't help cause he didn't have flood insurance. Same story over and over.<br /><br />I ain't knockin' the Tsunami relief....but when do our own folks get some relief??? Seems we are running a double standard here. If your from the far east and have a disaster, we'll give ya' money....but if yer' American and have a disaster....well....do the best ya' can.<br /><br />Yeah.....I'm a little upset with the whole afair.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: Tsunami Relief vs. Flood/Landslide Relief

I agree with ya OBJ. Since the christmas snow storm here we have been hit hard with ice and rain. MWCD is doing what they can to hold the water back up here. Roads are closed due to flooding around the state. There were people here without power, phone, and cable for up to 10 days.<br /><br />However during this whole mess, people in this area still opened up their hearts and wallets for the tsunami relief.<br /><br />Jim, it sounds like all this water is going to be staying for awhile. Those people in Marrietta just got their homes and business's together from September's fury. Now they are flooded just as bad again. Could you imagine the damage to those down stream from us if our watershed lakes were not being used? Those along the Ohio and Mississsippi all the way to New Orleans would have had disasterious problems as well.<br /><br />Credit should be given to the Army Corp of Civil Engineers. Without them, lots of people would not have homes or even their property.

LadyFish

Admiral

I totally agree Jim. All the area schools have also started a Tsunami Relief fund which is great, but nothing for our own people out in California.<br /><br />In the elementary schools they turned it into a contest. Whoever donates the most to the Tsunami Relief fund gets a popcicle party. It dosen't really teach kids about giving from their hearts without expecting something in return IMO. But I guess they are trying to raise money and create incentive.<br /><br />I strongly believe in benevolence but let's start at home.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) I agree also!!!<br />We have this stigma attached, "AMERICANS!!!" do you see what it really says??? Keep looking at the bold print!!! Keep looking!!! don't take your eye off or you will miss it!!!<br />><br />><br />><br />><br />>It really means "SUCKERS!!!!" <br /><br />With all the destruction and death, on the west coast and midwest there is no concert such as last nite to help Americans!! Keep buying their music!! And where is the government participation??? Also people are jumping on the band wagon to adopt these kids from south East Asia Why not adopt an "American!!!" <br /><br />Remember president Marcos of the Phillipines and all the aid we sent them!!! He sold it on the black market and his wife bought thousands of dollars of high end shoes,"never went to payless"!!! :D <br />Sorry About the rant!!! Just one fedup "american"!!! ;) :cool:

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

About the adoption from other countries...In America it is just too expensive not to mention the gobs and gobs of red tape, did I say adoption or abortion? hummph...<br /><br />Now the landslide troubles in Cal....Many of these are self inflicted. The side of a cliff is not a good place to build your million dollar home, no matter how good the view is...or in a river bed, make sense? Yes it is sad, the loss of life...Did I mention abortion?<br /><br />I am not a woman and never been pregnant nor carried and birthed any children. My heart and sympathy go to not only aborted children, but to the active participants of the abortion itself...<br />as these individuals must carry the guilt, shame, or responsibility themselves. I pity them as they are all victims....sl

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

...as would an unloved child of incest or rape. Don't get me wrong, I'm not pro-abortion. I'm just anti MEN-in-high-places telling a woman what SHE can or can't do when it concerns HER body. I think abortion for frivolous reasons is wrong. But I also think it has it's place. Way too common? You bet! That's a societal issue that needs to be addressed. But banning abortions isn't the answer. PREVENTING unwanted pregnancies is.<br /><br />OOPS! This is about Tsunami Relief. :eek: <br /><br />This is still a bit off topic, but there's a community of the Mississippi that was ravaged by a flood some decades ago. The only way those people could get any assistance was if they moved uphill. Those that chose to stay close to the river were on their own.<br /><br />Back on topic, more assistance to domestic relief is going to cost more tax dollars. Don't count on that from a Republican administration.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

You're absolutely correct, Jim.. Double standard....<br /><br />I'll take care of my own country... Folks overseas can fend for themselves...<br /><br />The FEMA circus come down here after the hurricanes to hand out check after check to the tune of 20+million in Dade county where there were NO HURRICANES, but try to get some help for a new roof in Palm beach, Martin, st. Lucie, Indian river, Okeechobee counties, and probably a dozen or more other counties that got directly hit two or three times.. Your gonna have to jump thru all kinds of hoops.. <br /><br />My neighbor lost his roof and everthing inside the house... Furnature, celing fell in, floors, appliances, everything.. The guy's dirt poor, physically not well, and it's very obvious... He filed with FEMA about a week after Jeanne (end of september) and finaly got a check end of december after a bunch of un-nessary grief..... :mad:

Skinnywater

Commander

Multi-million dollar homes stuck up against a hill with a billion dollar view of the Pacific.<br />And someone with income two great for Federal assistance, yet won't buy some stinking flood insurance?<br />And the guy who's dirt poor (by your standards), physically not well, although slow has gotten relief.<br /><br />Huge difference in reality compared to people who lost everything. <br />Those people went without water for days!<br />Here people start crying about the electric being out for a couple days.<br /><br />Give me a break...

ob

Admiral

I agree also OBJ.Some others made a few comments as to the stupidity of anyone that would build a home in such a precarious location.Self inflicted is a fairly harh description of people whose dwelling is supplied utilities by the local municipalities.Are they less important?I guess in hindsight many wish they did carry flood insurance,but then I'm wondering how many of these policies stipulate coverage attributed to "rising water" and not decending mud.<br /><br />Heck if you use the dwelling locale logic ,from my perspective,everyone living in California is located on a geological time bomb.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I don't think any of us are trying to lessen the tradgety of the Tsunami disaster. We're just looking for a little equality here. In September, 3/4's of a small town close to were I live was wiped off the face of the map. Families lost it ALL. No place to go with just the cloths on their backs. And it's been happening all across the US from Florida hurricanes to river floodings to Cal. landslides. <br /><br />It just seems to me that we could show some of the same efforts for our own people that we show for folks across the pond.<br /><br />Yeah ob...seems like the whole of the US has been a time bomb lately. Hope it's over for now.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

The mistake here is to compare the two tragedies in the first place. They simply DO NOT.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

12Footer, you know I very rarely disagree with you. However I feel that a displaced family that has lost everything due to mother nature is a tragedy. It is the magnitude of the two that make up the differences. Families have been displaced in flooding, landslides, and the tsunami. All concerned need help regarless of where and who. People have lost their homes, and in some cases their property. Imagine that your lot that you have owned for years is now part of a river bottom. What do you do?<br /><br />Skinnwater, around here with the freezing temps it can be devestating for a family. Things that do happen when electric is off. No Heat, No Water, Water lines freeze/burst, and some instances no communications. In some cases, people do freeze to death. Living in a warmer climate or in the summer it is more of a nuisance to be without electric.<br /><br />Everything that has been happening is still sad. I just hope that our mother earth calms down soon.<br />Thoughts and prayers to all those that are displaced.

Skinnywater

Commander

I’m sure that OBJ doesn’t mean his post to be mean or coldhearted. Although I was surprised that it got as many responses agreeing with him. The more I thought about it the more the entire thread bothered me.<br /><br />I feel uncomfortable comparing lives for lives, tragedy for tragedy. But if you really want to start a thread comparing “Tsunami Relief vs. Flood/Landslide Relief” and debate about freezing to death because you refused to spend the night at the armory. Sure, it’s important enough of an issue.<br />It might be easy for some to say something like; “I’d rather your family suffer rather then mine.” It might be exactly how you feel, but it isn’t proper to say. <br />Speaking for myself, I’d have some honest problems with even feeling, I’d rather 10,000 families suffer rather then my own, let alone saying it.<br />Respectfully, I understand if you have a much higher number. I’d even understand if you felt that you’d rather have the entire world suffer rather then your own. <br /><br />It’s important to put this into perspective. I’ll make it easy by putting emotion aside and relying on the facts.<br />The American people are a lot more fortunate then most respondents to this thread give credit. Fortunately in this country disaster and its effects are measured in dollars rather then lives. The tsunami is measured in lives. Our infrastructure, disaster planning, early warnings and even first responders are second to none in the entire world.<br />I’m not aware of any severe local or national tragedy in recent history in this great country that hasn’t gotten an immediate and overwhelming response of help and kindness. Again, it’s immediate, overwhelming and the highest quality response. This response should be recognized in Ohio where whole communities immediately have the resources to open their own homes, schools, and armories. And with-in mere hours there is clean drinking water, dry blankets, medicine and any other basic life support.<br />This is in complete and opposite contrast, not even counting the huge and immediate loss in lives, an incomparable event.<br /><br />This thread may or may not be what some of you intended or meant. But I’m reading it like some of you simply don’t realize how great we have it here, even in the face of disaster. And/or just how utterly crappy innocent life is on the other side of the world.<br /><br />My first response was this and more in line and complete agreement with 12foot. It’ll take a lot more bandwidth than the Mod’s would allow to make me understand the comparison.<br /><br />No offense intended or meant to any of you.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Skinnywater for the most civil reply and no, I have not taken any offense.<br /><br />My point is that displaced people are just that, displaced, there worlds are turned upside down in a heart beat. No matter if it's 100 families or tens of thousands, our first mission is to get these folks back to some semblance of "normal".<br /><br />Yes we do have life a lot better here in the US than else where. But that shouldn't quell our efforts to help these folks get there lives back. It just irks me to hear that a retired couple that has lost most of what they've worked for all their lives, only gets a pitance from our government in aid. Well, ya' just gotta wonder what's wrong with the system.<br /><br />As for the comparison, from my point of view, there is no comparison because there is nothing to compare. We have displaced families on both sides of the globe needing aid. Let's give it to them by all means. But let us not slight the families here at home just because we live in such a great country. After all, most of these fanilies are paying for the relief we are sending abroad just as we all are.

aspeck

Staff member

OBJ, doesn't sound like you and Skinny are that much in disagreement, except maybe in symantics. Yes, a displaced person is a displaced person. The question is, how much aid are we really giving? When we had flooding in PA, and we were declared a disaster county, Fema came in and gave money to replace essentials - like a TV, blankets, refrigerator, furnace, etc. They would not give money for a computer or other things they deemed "non-essential." People that were evacuated were given places to stay (albeit Armories, schools, and churches), and cots to sleep on. Restaraunts and churches brought in food and clothing, toys for the kids, etc., till the people were allowed to go back to their homes.<br /><br />In Florida, Fema did the same thing. Many had insurance that covered most of the long-term costs, but relief organizations and neighbors had the where-with-all to provide temporary clothing, shelter, and housing.<br /><br />In Asia, there is no "safety net" because the neighbors don't have anything to give. TV's are not considered essential items, etc. There is really no comparison. We, as Americans, do tend to take care of our own, and we should. We take care of them much better than we take care of the rest of the world - our government is not buying TV's for any of the families that lost everything in Asia.<br /><br />We need to continue what we are doing, maybe we need to do more, both at home and abroad, but we can't stop helping our fellow man, wherever they are.<br /><br />So, continue to help others in need, wherever you find them! Be the "Good Samaritan" the Bible talks about and help even your enemies, when you can, not just when it is convenient.<br /><br />Okay, I am done, carry on.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Southern Indiana, and Western Ohio. 2 more place that have been hit hard by floods. Where is the relief for these folks. Oh!!!!!!! Thats right....<br />They are rich, they are Americans. NOT.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Actually compared to a good deal of the world, even the poor would be considered rich. I mean we eat lunch on what many people in third world countries make in a week. And we have something called Insurance. I don't think those that can afford but otherwise refuse to buy insurance should rely on my tax dollars to bail them out. That should go to those that need it and have no other alternatives due to health issues or whatever makes them poor (save plain laziness). And it certainly shouldn't go to rebuild in a risky location. Like the People of Soldier's Grove, WI dealt with...if you don't move away from the most hazardous areas, you're on your own. No tax dollars for you. I want that money invested in the future, not squandered on the inevitable.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Nations all over the world are going to offer relief/money to help out the victims of the US disasters because of our generosity to the rest of the world, right? Right? Right?....

gaugeguy

Captain

How many billions of dollars does it take to replace a bunch of mud and cardboard huts? You know the big tourist resorts are insured. I'm all for sending in food and water and helping to prevent disease, but I can't see giving a dirt farmer a hundred grand to get back on his feet :confused: