Tsunami Relief vs. Flood/Landslide Relief

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Tsunami Relief vs. Flood/Landslide Relief

This is a real "Have you stopped beating your wife? Answer yes or no." topic.<br /><br />I agree with 12Footer that the scope and depth of the seperate disasters are not comparable.<br /><br />The Billions of dollars raised/pledged to help victims of the quake/tsunami are a drop in the bucket compared to the magnitude of the loss and the threats to the lives of the survivors.<br /><br />Taken to the level of impact on one individual person maybe we can compare. Each has had a psychologically devastating loss; one of everything. . . .home, parents or children, source of food and water, protection from disease, shelter. . . . the other loss of some portion of the great American lifestyle.<br /><br />I don't mean to belittle the need or grief of hurricane/flood/landslide victims, but it is fact that their very survival is not threatened.<br /><br />I donated about 7% of my very modest annual income to the American Red Cross with no instructions about how to use it. I hope they use it where it will make the most difference.

tylerin

Commander

Very difficult to compare the 2 I drove past La Conchita this weekend as I have many times. They don't live on a hillside like mentioned above. It is a very sad situation. Asia is a historical disaster that is sure to be told for many generations. I'm proud to say my country contributes to their restoration. Lets also use that same energy at home

bassman283m

Seaman Apprentice

web page <br /><br />Flood insurance is not all that simple. The link above is all you ever wanted to know about flood insurance.

Dunaruna

Admiral

I have posted and deleted many times on this thread, I just can't seem to translate thoughts into word so I'll just post this: ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY THOUSAND PEOPLE DEAD AND COUNTING, MILLIONS DISPLACED.<br /><br />Aldo

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As with the tusnami, I gave money to send bottled water, food and tents in a plane from the UK. I did not know that there were people who had no food and water in california. If this is the case I will happily contribute the same amount to any official fund. As per 12footer I dont think you can compare a disaster that leaves people to starve to death with replacing property but that doesnt mean that we shouldnt help. But where are the appeals for help, I havent seen them on the media so its very hard to understand the degree of the problem or what aid is required.

D

DJ

Aghhhh!. It ain't worth a response.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I see where you are coming from, but I dont think you can really even make any comparison.<br /><br />Lets sum it up this way.<br /><br />I am CERTAIN that without any aid, the victims of the landslide will survive, rebuild, and their life will continue.<br /><br />I am certain that without any aid, the victims of the tsunami will NOT survive much less rebuild.<br /><br /><br />Ken

PW2

Commander

We do relief like this because we can. We do it out of a sense, if nothing else, of enlightened self interest. It simply is in our best interests to take the lead--We are in a world community, like it or not, and it is difficult to maintain an illusion that what we do in places like Iraq, for example, is done for the good of the people, and ignore a catastrophe of this proportion.<br /><br />Unfortunately, we kind of dropped the ball on it, not even responding for four days, and then initially a pretty tepid amount.<br /><br />I might buy the argument that we did not realize the scope of it, but they kept publishing satellite photos of the devastation, availabe virtually immediately, and in this post 9/11 world, we have to have a huge staff to interpret these photos.<br /><br />On top of that, a 9.0 earthquake is a huge event in the seismic history of the earth, and it could not have been a surprise that it caused a lot of damage.

Skinnywater

Commander

It wasn’t too hard to find where the money goes. It was slightly harder to concentrate on disaster aid that was in billions rather than mere millions. None of the figures I’m listing take into account the substantial aid and relief from NGO’s (non-governmental organizations). All this is only a small drop in the bucket. The more you search the more you find. Pretty soon after you go back decades of disasters in all the states and all the millions upon billions spent in disaster aid in this country. <br />I not able to support statements made that disaster aid is lacking. <br />Here’s a staggering amount of money, it start out with insured losses, then goes on to FEMA expenditures.<br /> http://www.adjustersinternational.com/journalists.html?journalists/disasterdata.html~body <br /><br />While doing a search on the facts, I was surprised to learn that Ohio gets hit with floods large enough for Federal disaster aid every 3-4 years. The State of Ohio spends a lot of it’s own funds on them very regularly.<br />Here is State (Ohio), FEMA disaster aid money. Hit the PDF zoom feature.<br /> http://www.ema.ohio.gov/Mitigation_Plan/Appendix_A_State_of_Ohio_Disaster_History_Profile.pdf <br /><br />Dang guys! It was just 6months ago 16 billion was sent your way, the ink has barely dried on the check. Now with the additional floods, no doubt billions more are on the way.<br /> http://www.ema.ohio.gov/Releases/2004/FEMA-DR-1519_NR024.pdf <br /><br /><br />There seems to be quite a few small regions (one or two county wide) in the past 4-6 years that have qualified for 4-6 million in Federal disaster aid for each small incident. <br /> http://www.business-journal.com/archives/20040723OhioDisasterAidtoFloodVictims.asp <br /><br /><br />Something interesting I ran across during my search. The recent power blackout gets Federal disaster relief in Ohio. It’s more of the part that we take for granted here in the US. You know, subsides and taxpayer aid to very large and rich private corporations. Here’s some pocket change, 5 million for your troubles.<br /> http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?id=5160 <br /><br /><br />Florida isn’t any stranger to natural disaster either. Federal disaster aid is common was very substantial in the 2004 season. Two billion to start with.<br /> http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041029/WEATHER01/410290438/1075 <br /><br />Holy Mackerel! A couple hundred million here couple hundred million there. What a ton of money!<br /> http://www.floridadisaster.org/documents/IndivAssistData120804.pdf <br /><br />Twelve billion for Florida. They deserve every penny and more. I’m sure there’s plenty of stories where people are still put out because of the unfortunate disasters. But once you put everything into perspective, this country really does help those in need.<br /> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/10/10/national/main648425.shtml <br /><br />In the above link and attached to the Hurricane disaster aid bill was an additional 3 billion (not million) for the farmers. They have a disaster too. So they’ll get the 3 billion for drought damage to their crops.<br />Clinton gave the farmers 6 billion (not 3) in 1999. <br /> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/budget/stories/farms080599.htm <br /><br />They needed more, in fiscal year 2003 they got 6 billion more. So the 3 billion given in the hurricane disaster bill of 2004 must have been a real slap in the face.<br /> http://www.nasda-hq.org/news/newsletter164.html <br /><br /><br />La Conchita seems to be a different disaster to me. It seems to qualify as one of accepting known risks. Even likely negligence on their part.<br />While not exactly built on a mountainside it’s built directly under one, on the very debris of historically recent mudslides.<br />The people in this community haven't been able to get mortgages on their homes for the past 10 years.<br /> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Conchita,_California <br /><br />Essentially through the communities own failed litigation (to place blame for the natural disaster and El Nino storms) following the previous 1995 mudslide left no doubt the risks they assumed. The 1995 mudslide was a completely ignored wake-up call. Even after the county erected retaining walls at taxpayer expense. The residents were made very aware that those efforts were useless in protecting them.<br /> http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1319770/posts <br /><br />This country proves beyond a shadow of a doubt how lucky we have it. We have substantial natural disasters yet when the tragedy and loss of life occurs, the actual numbers are surprisingly small. Many storm-related deaths include traffic accident and health related deaths. <br />We all agree they’re tragic and sad.<br />Yet we also take so much for granted that we are able build and rebuild, and take huge risks with our lives and property. After the floods, hurricanes, earthquakes and mudslides, we take the money and rebuild right back in the same place to have it repeated again.<br /><br />It does make me proud that this country is able and willing to throw a lot of money around. It’s hardly ever a “tepid” amount here at home or abroad. And given the choices that it can be spent on, it should come back to the people.<br />Since there are a lot of people who haven’t a problem with this country being the Worlds Police. It makes it a sweeter pill to swallow to be the Worlds Firemen and first responders also.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> I to think to many homes are allowed to be built in disaster areas here. I watched a show on the ohio floods where they designed the lower floors for drainage after a flood. in my area they build million dollars vacation homes on the dune line then when they get washed away the people whine cry and wring hands about losing "everything" then hold their hand out for a government check. the taxpayers subsidize the insurance. my house has been here since 1955. never had wind damage never had flood damage. the property has been in the family since 1885 and no one ever saw it flood. not any of the 90 acres tract. years ago the locals only built expendeble fish camps near the beach. they knew it would be blown/washed away. and none would have ever thought to ask the government about a check for it. I always thought I grew up "poor" is lower alabama. after 2 trips to venezuela I found we grew up rich. we had 3 meals,clothes and bicycles. most christmas's we had presants. they poor folks along the coasts of the tsunami area had nothing to start with,now they have even less.<br /> I watched the show on the CA mudslides. one guy was whining and moaning then said he lost his other house in the 95 slide that was 2 blocks over. most our disasters are caused by greedy developers, easy cheap insurance and poor planing of what happens when a slide,quake or hurricane hits. not IF its WHEN.<br /> but either way americans will help both and all victims. its the way we are. thats why we are a super power and not a third world. my sister had the same shock when her medical team went to Hati for 3 weeks. for those of you who whine about money go to some of the places with a medical team or missionary team. you will have to pay all your costs but its worth it. I hope to go to Hati with my sister this fall. I have no real medical training but I can hump water and sink wells and repair pumps and such. so the next time yopu flip the light switch or spray some OFF spray on ya cause the bugs are bad think how rich you really are.