1988 Johnson 150/ran at home but not at ramp.

Imissedem

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well wanted to take her out for first maiden voyage and she wouldnt start when i got it off the trailer.:(:mad:/ I have been getting this boat ready for a few weeks now.New impella /thermostats/wiring/.I have had it running great in the driveway but when i drove to boat launch and put it in she did not want to start.Flooded from trying to start so many times.Another guy launching his boat said/crap in carbs from sitting./needle valve stuck.This is the first time i have owned a boat. What do you think????????????????Thanks John

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Johnson 150/ran at home but not at ramp.

Well wanted to take her out for first maiden voyage and she wouldnt start when i got it off the trailer.:(:mad:/ I have been getting this boat ready for a few weeks now.New impella /thermostats/wiring/.I have had it running great in the driveway but when i drove to boat launch and put it in she did not want to start.Flooded from trying to start so many times.Another guy launching his boat said/crap in carbs from sitting./needle valve stuck.This is the first time i have owned a boat. What do you think????????????????Thanks John

Starts at home on muffs but not when you are in the water ???
What is your starting procedure ??
If it flooded then it is getting fuel in there but not firing. Did you check the plugs out ??? were they wet ???

Imissedem

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Starts at home on muffs but not when you are in the water ???
What is your starting procedure ??
If it flooded then it is getting fuel in there but not firing. Did you check the plugs out ??? were they wet ???
Yes i did check out the plugs before leaving the house /but not during or after the problem at ramp it was late in the day.Ken this is all new to me /but what i have been doing is test running on premix first without using the vro pump because it wasnt connected when i bought the boat.I did test the pump and it does work.So now i put on new oil water seperator 10 gallons gas in tank run in driveway no problem.It was firing over spark is not a problem.

jonesg

Admiral

what is the idle rpm in the driveway on muffs?

it needs to be high, around 1100rpm

that will drop to around 7-800 in the water due to backpressure.

mine doesn't idle too well on the hose, but ticks like a clock in the water.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Not quite with this. Did you run on a different tank to begin with on driveway and then put 10 gallons in the main tank ?? or was it the same tank from the get go ??
Why was VRO pump not connected ???

Imissedem

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not quite with this. Did you run on a different tank to begin with on driveway and then put 10 gallons in the main tank ?? or was it the same tank from the get go ??
Why was VRO pump not connected ???

Ran on premix a couple diff. times.Pump was not hooked up when i bought the boat.But after filling fuel tank i ran it in the driveway for a good 20 minutes.Ran pretty good.But like i said it was getting late and i have not checked the plugs or tried again yet.Ran it on the premix just to try out the motor to see how it ran because i had to finish hooking up the motor after i bought it.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Throw the muffs on and try it again in the driveway. If it does not start then whip out the plugs and check condition. Do a spark test as well if you can.

Imissedem

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Gonna do that later today do to the fact that it is mothers day and not fathersday.Thanks for the input and glad it happened at the ramp on not out in the bay.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Yep, I will be busy with the "Mothers Day" thing as soon as she wakes up as well. Let us all know how you make out when you get to it.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Gonna do that later today do to the fact that it is mothers day and not fathersday.

What???? Oh ####, it's Mother's Day??? Let me tell you, the things I learn form this forum...! Now, if you guys can only remind me of when my wife's birthday is!

MAS

Imissedem

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well tried again in driveway with muffs on/pulled carbs /cleaned and put back on.New plugs/ new fuel filter and still not running good.Lot of smoke /skip fart hessitate then idlessmooth for a few minutes then starts all over again.??????? Reeds? Did a compression test and had an even 90 on all cylinders.Is this good or bad?Or should i just get rid of it.I`m getting frustrated:mad::mad::mad:

Imissedem

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Helppppppppppppppppppp

dannyman3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds like you need to unhook the vro if it ran good when you mixed the gas and all you done was hook up the vro then thats got to be it thats prob why it was unhooked when you got it

airframer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds like your vro pump is malfunctioning. try running it off premixed fuel

Imissedem

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did and it is still running that way.Just seems to be blowing out a lot of smoke.Seems to be fouling out somewhere..........

airframer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

check for dead cylinder.

Imissedem

Petty Officer 3rd Class

did compression test/90 on all. dont know if it is good or bad?????What should compression be??????

dannyman3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

did compression test/90 on all. dont know if it is good or bad?????What should compression be??????

if there all the same its good my 200 has 70 in all six

Imissedem

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK So where to next????????I did run on vro then premix still ran the same.I did notice after checking for compression that my lower 2 plugs were already turning a little black.They are brand new.The other 4 were clean.I did hear that it could be a possible reed problem or coil problem/ any other thoughts?To me it just seems to be loading up with oil.

dannyman3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK So where to next????????I did run on vro then premix still ran the same.I did notice after checking for compression that my lower 2 plugs were already turning a little black.They are brand new.The other 4 were clean.I did hear that it could be a possible reed problem or coil problem/ any other thoughts?To me it just seems to be loading up with oil.

heres what i would do put new plugs in run mix fuel you prob, fouled them plugs when you run it with the bad vro