Best oil filter???

SoulWinner

Commander
Hi folks. On my last oil change for our vehicles I switch from Valvoline Maxlife to Mobile 1 Synthetic. I plan on running longer intervals between changes, and I would like to know what filter is best for this. Right now I am using the Fram Tough Guard filter. What filter should is the best??

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Best oil filter???

Hey Lubedude! This sounds like a good question for you to answer. ;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think Fram is about as good as any you can get today, SW.<br /><br />About 30 years ago there was an aftermarket add-on filter that used a roll of toilet paper (cardboard tube removed) as the filtering element. They were so good that even after 3,000 miles the oil looked like it was fresh out of the jug. That was on my girls' '67 Mustang. Haven't seen one of those since the mid 70s.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I gotta disagree with Fram being a good filter.As a matter of fact I think the fram is about the worst choice you can make in a filter.There are too many other good choices rather than a cheap and cheaply made filter like Fram.Do a search because There was a great comparison done by someone here.Charlie

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

I've been using the over priced Mobile 1 filter with mobile 1 synth oil, it's been said here on this forum a while back that Purolator will give you the best bang for the buck.<br />I understand that Bosch makes a good filter at a reasonable price.

SoulWinner

Commander

The Fram that I bought was like $10 each, so I thought it was a good filter. Hmmmmm. I really want to put the best filter I can, cause I like to keep my vehicles for ever.<br /><br />I remember the toilet paper filters! Now that was a good idea.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Here is a link where someone has taken apart different oil filters. If you look at the pics, you can see why some of the filters are better than others. Compare the Fram to the Mobil 1.<br /><br />www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/<br /><br />I found this site informative and confirmed stories that I have heard on some of the products listed.

LubeDude

Admiral

OK, Il get involved, may be sorry later on.<br /><br />I dont know of any engines being actually damaged by using a Fram filter. but I have personally had two of them come apart internally, and it isnt hard to se why when you take one apart. Wouldnt use one on a lawn mower let alone a Mercedes.<br /><br />For the money, its hard to beat a Purolator Pure One for around $5.00.<br /><br />What vehicle are we talking about?

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

the guy on the filter web page states <br />Champion Laboratories, Inc. (same guys who make the spark plugs), Well last time i checked Champion Spark plugs were made by Federal Mogul.<br />and he keeps saying that dirty oil can drain back into the oil pan well big deal where does he think the dirty oil is. <br />We use Wix and napa Gold filters at work

ob

Admiral

Originally posted by jimr:<br /> We use Wix and napa Gold filters at work
That's what I use in all three of our vehicles.Wix.I get mine at O'Reilly Auto parts.

NathanY

Commander

I really like the wix filters too. I get the extra tall ones for my pickup and the regular ones for my cars.

Marc J.

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Purolator Pure One, Wix, and the Napa Gold would all be good choices for extended intervals. I believe all three have the (red) silicone anti-drain back valve. The silicone valve will outlast ordinary rubber and keep the filter full when the filter is mounted on its side. Something I wish the auto manufacturers wouldn't do. I don't care for Fram myself either, a noticed a few years back that many of their filters didn't even have anti-drain back valves when the OEM filters that they were meant to replace did.

Skinnywater

Commander

Sure is hard to beat the filters that are from the dealership.<br />Yeah, the arguement is said that so and so manufacture has them built by so and so supplier.<br /> Fact of the matter is individual build specifications. <br />For instance, Purolator may build the oil filters for GM and Purolator sells filters under its own name. However, GM goes to Purolator with its own specifications, type, size, materials, features and performance. These specifications are usually substantially far greater then Purolators own specifications.<br /><br />Mann and Knecht make filters for Mercedes and are fine filters. However, one made by them and sold under the Mercedes label is a completely different animal.<br />The Motocraft filter I buy from Ford is twice the wieght of a WIX and is a buck or two more in price. A further visual inspection between the two is an instant confirmation that it's worth more than the extra money. <br />Same with the MOPAR filter for the Jeep. <br />And what a heap big difference between the Fram for my Honda outboard and the made by Denso Honda filter bought from the dealer.<br /><br />Considering lubricants outside of manufactures recommendations is pretty foolish. Debate with-in those recommendations is much to do about nothing, opinion and hype. A practical and substantiated non-issue. <br />However, systems filtration is an important and worthy consideration. The last place you want to be second guessing the designers, engineers and the very creators of your equipment. ;)

Laddies

Banned

If in doubt cut a new filter open and see what uses for materails inside some will scare you, we have had some of the older frams with cloth medium starved some GM engines for oil till the lifters rattled, that was years ago and we haven't used them since

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Being old and terminally lazy, I let the MB dealership change my filters now.<br /><br />Glad to hear that they use very good filters. Thanks Skinnywater. :)

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class

I cut a factory Honda filter open before christmas. It was labeled "Made By FRAM". Compared it to the standard fram filter and it was the exact same insides as the orange one complete with the famous cardboard end pieces and hokey looking bypass valve.<br /><br />Even filter selection is based on a certain amount of opinion but it should be an informed opinion by cutting a few filters to see what they are made of.<br /><br />For my money, wix(NAPA) and Purolator are the best aftermarket values.<br /><br />JD

ob

Admiral

Another feature that one should consider when buying aftermarket is that the volumre of the return ports match the original equipment.Oil pressure is a good thing but restricted volume isn't.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Jimr posted
and he keeps saying that dirty oil can drain back into the oil pan well big deal where does he think the dirty oil is.
The problem with the oil draining back is dry starts. The oil is not supposed to drain back, that is why they put anti-drain-back valves in them. If the oil drains out, then the motor runs without oil pressure until the filter fills back up and starts pumping back through all the oil passages to the bearings.<br /><br />Drain back is bad.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Interesting LD, but it makes no conclusions based on the real uses of oil filters in real vihicles... just a thought :)