Log home anyone?

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class
My wife and I have decided to build a log home kit from southland log homes. Has anyone on here built a log home before? I plan on doing 95 percent of the work myself. I have gotten a few bids here and there and would like to know what it cost other people to do certian phases of the construction such as septic, lot clearing, driveway cutting in. Thanks.

one more cast

Captain
Re: Log home anyone?

hey formula, I bought a dozer and cleared my own land but I had to knock down an old house and woodshed. My 1000 gal septic system cost me around $1500,the well was $700 and I did my 200'plus driveway myself and it was about $900 in fabric,gravel,and driveway mix. This was a year ago.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

How much can you get a dozer for? I was quoted 3 grand to clear a half acre lot of the trees that need down and gone, and cut in a horseshoe driveway. plus materials for driveways (culverts , gravel) and dumpsters to haul brush away. the guy sells the trees to a mill. It seems a little high. the only problem with buying a dozer would be storing it after the house was built.

one more cast

Captain

try to buy one reasonable and in good condition and sell it when your finished, My brother in-law from Atlanta bought one for $12,000 cleared 3 acres and sold it for $16,000...I'm not that lucky. I bought mine for $5,800 and still have it. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SOMEONE THAT KNOWS ABOUT DOZERS CHECK IT OUT BEFORE YOU BUY.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Sound like you are the perfect candidate to buy a backhoe and learn to use it...it'll save you alot of dough and give you alot of options. I see you found the stuff...the avatar you are using was my first choice only I didn't do something right, when I went back to find it again I found the one I am using... :)

loghomer

Seaman

Formula 1971<br /><br />I built our home about 10 years ago. I was also a dealer for a company at one time. I would gladly help you anyway I can

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I said 3 grand that was just for the clearing it didnt include the materials or dumpsters (400 a piece x 4 or 5) We talked to another couple who built thier own a few months ago and went by there again this afternoon and they gave us some leads on a good basement guy who does clearing also. he will do what we want him to do and let us do the rest. I can cut some trees up I was just wondering about the stumps. Most of this stuff is a first for us. I have been around construction my whole life but never from start to finish by myself. Seeing the other family doing it really raises the spirits. getting a dozer using it and making 4 grand sounds like a sweet deal but im not that lucky either. How hard is it to knock a tree over with a dozer?? I mean after you learn the controls its pretty much drive over the tree right?? Thanks for all the replys so far :) <br /><br />yeah chief I found them thanks again for the tip. Lots of cool ones it was hard to choose.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

Loghomer what company did you sell for? <br /><br />one more cast what did the 700 for the well include? before we settled on this lot we almost had 6 acres (got sold out from under us) and the estimate we got for the well was WAY higher then that. thanks

one more cast

Captain

the $700 was for digging a 12-14' hole, a load of crushed stone, 12' of 3' dia. well tiles, cover, digging a 100' ditch, and installing the water line from the well to the inside of the basement. The submersable pump,tank,water line,wire, valves,clamps,and fittings were another $800 or so.

loghomer

Seaman

Formula<br /><br />I was a dealer for Greatwood log homes.Then Wilderness log homes bought them out and they already had a dealer in my area, so I kinda got squeezed out. Its ok though.. with my schedule I am out of town a lot and I really coundn't devote as much time to it as I would like

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

loghomer did you sell alot of homes to owner builders without alot of experience with construction? Some people say its pretty straight forward and others say it will kill us to do it ourselves. any horror stories with unexperienced owner builders?

LubeDude

Admiral

I looked into Log homes very hard about ten years ago. Man, they are sooooo beautifull. Here is why we didnt do it.<br /><br />They require an imence amount of upkeep if you want them to look new all the time. Sealing, caulking, chinking and such. And nothing looks worse than an old neglected log home.<br /><br />They are VERY prone to insect infestation as the logs split all over with age and critters can get in even the smallest cracks.<br /><br />Now for the inside, unless you intend to sheetrock the interior walls, the dust bunnies will start to tumble off the highest logs eventually where you cant reach, BIG ONES. So, you need to dust your walls. Bad enough having to dust everything else, let alone the walls.<br /><br />Just some things to think about.. Sure are beautiful though!

loghomer

Seaman

Lubedude<br />You are right on all 3 counts...but if you have a dream you will let nothing get in the way. With any home there is upkeep. Any home has bugs no matter what the material is. I think all homes have dust. However, you were right with the chalking and staining. I have to do ours every 5th year. I take a vacation week to do it. I really don't mind doing it. Its all worth it when cars slow down and stop out front of our home and just look.<br /><br />Formula<br /><br />I sold 2 homes while I was a dealer. Both parties were do it yourselfers. Had friends in all areas of building. In other words.. they were their own general contractors and hired out all of the sub work. The one house was 3000 sq ft being built by a single(not married) 27 yr old girl and her father. There will always be stumbling blocks along the way. But both homes were built in 9-12 months and both are beutiful. As for myself I had no building experience. But my wife and I went to building seminars and bought video tapes. We subbed out all the work except for the interior which I did myself...railings, hanging doors , trim work etc, and I am no handyman for sure. The old expression "where there is a will, theres a way" applies here. My father-in-law told us that we "were foolish and we didn't know what we were doing" and that was all the motivation I needed

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL @ father in law ...my mother in law said the same thing and its amazing the fire under your butt that can light.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

we have weighed all of the pros and cons of building a log home and in this area if we dont build something ourselves we wont get into our own house they are just too expensive around here and the price keeps going up. Since we have to build our own a log home only makes sense, it will be worth more after its built and they look great. I know each company is different, southland offers a complete dry in package with everything including roofing materials (minus shingles) trusses, all lumber for interior walls, the floors, all windows and exterior doors, logs and hardware, caulking and stain. Of all the log home companies we have talked to this was the most complete package.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

whoops wasnt finished. What we have to buy is all the mechanicals (electrical, plumbing, heat/ac) drywall, and interior doors and fixtures.<br />Have any of you heard of any better kits then this? Oh yeah all the logs are precut and notched for the stockade look. for a 2250 square foot log home with front and back porch 4 beds 3 full baths the kit is right around 55000.