Mounting hardware for new captains chair

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm adding a captain's chair (driver side) to my 1985 19' BR this spring. The other side will still have the original back-to-back seat layout. I'm wondering how to best mount the new captains chair. I want it to be able to swivel, go up and down and forward/backward (kids drive sometimes). Looks matter a bit but it's not critical to look "authentic" - can look like a retrofit/add on.

Here's a link to the seat I bought on eBay. You may have to cut/paste it into yur browser.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=120073059775&rd=1&rd=1

Would a pedestal type mount be best? If so, what hardware should I get? Are they just screwed into the floor? I'm replcaing the floor, so do I carpet the area THEN put the pedastal over the carpet into the floor?

Or, should I make some sort of "box" like the back-to-back seats sit on then mount the captains chair on the box? The current seat boxes are 1/2 plywood with carpet over them and some storage space inside.

Well....any ideas? Thanks.

iwombat

Captain
Re: Mounting hardware for new captains chair

That all sort of depends on if you want to give up the storage space. I've got mine mounted on an aluminum jump seat box. You never seem to have enough storage on boat. I'd want something with some storage potential if it were me.

Docknocker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

tmh - I swapped out a pedestal for the back to back on the captains side on a '63 Dorset I rebuilt. Mounted the base directly over the carpet, got the shortest pedestal pipe they offered and still had to saw it shorter to arrive at the correct height for the windshield. All kinds of seat bases available that will adj. fore and aft and swivel.
As ib replied, you can also mount directly on a back to back base to keep storage, but that wasn't an issue for me

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK, thanks so far. I think I have a good idea what I need and will likely use a pedastal (lack of storage sucks, but we prefer the look of the pedastal to the box (OK, actually, "WE" means "my wife"....I don't care one way or the other.)

How do i attach the pedastal base to the floor? Do I just use SS screws? Should I pre-drill and put some sort of caulk "stuff" in the holes to seal them (3M 4200, 5200 ??)?

Anyone have an idea how far from the steering wheel I should mount the seat? I'll have a slide on it but those only get me a few inches forward and back so I want it centered close to the "right" spot. I know it may just be whatever we like, but maybe there is a somewhat "standard" distance captains chairs aremounted from the wheel.

Thanks again.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

There is no correct distance, I always just put the seat in place, sit on it, then move it until it feels right, it can be different on each boat.

Mounting depends on the floor, I've just screwed the pedesal base to the floor and had no problems when it's been built well. If you can get to the underside, then through bolting with large washers or a plate is best. You can also mount the pedestal to a larger plate (plywood, aluminum) then screw it to the floor.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Hey tmh -- I checked that link and notice the same guy is also selling a pedestal base. So far $29 and no bids, 5 days to go...

As for mounting, I'd definitely try to get a plate or at least big washers under the floor. You don't need that coming loose off some swell with a kiddie in your lap. :%

Good luck with it!