how many people are driving rotten boats and dont know it?

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer
Most boats over 20yo that aren't kept in garages and maintain like crazy are rotten. How many people are driving these rotten boats and don't even know it? I don't see many things about boats breaking in 1/2 or transoms falling out. I know a few people that got older boats and they were kept outside and they did some cosmetic work to them and are driving them. One of them drives it in the ocean and jumps waves with it? I'm 80% sure his boat is a rotten mess it sat outside for a few years with plugs in and he bought it and got a new motor. Could his boat snap in half on him?
Matt

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer
Re: how many people are driving rotten boats and dont know it?

ya i don't see anyone cracking their boats in 2? So i'm assuming the fiberglass hull is stronger then we think? Maybe my transom will last 50 more years... haha probably not..
Matt

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

I know the previous owner of my boat was one!!

idrownworms

Petty Officer 1st Class

Living at a major lake and within a half hours drive of more lakes than I have fingers and toes, I see boats going down the road and observe major transom flex:eek: So I'm guessing more than a couple of people around here

jame

reelfishin

Captain

I'd bet its more than half of all older boats that need at least some form of rot repair. I can't count how many boats I see with either added support to 'fix' a soft transom, or plywood tossed down to 'fix' a rotted floor.
Not to mention those boats that are so water logged that they barely stay afloat. I've looked at several over the past few months that fit that category.

jonesg

Admiral

My splashwell started to crack, I think trailering was stressful as I was taking it ez on the water, I knew it was weak. Sooner or later something will give.

once the transom needs reinforcing, its shot and its just a matter of time.

how many owners buy a boat, then learn something about transoms and rot, only to sell it to the next sucker.

At least I bought my boat as a project boat.
Then I learned what a project boat is..doh!

s1120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bet a LOT!!!!

You know... a new guy with a old boat, may not know that the floor should be nice and solid. They will just assume there should be some "give" in it. they dont know... never been on a non rotted one.

Paul Bell

Seaman

I live in an area surrounded by marinas and boaters.
After seeing how bad things looked below deck on mine that has always been kept on a lift with a canopy and stored inside during the winter, we are surrounded by rotting wood! There are a number of boat yards around here and to see how many boats are not even covered over the winter!
Then there are those that were covered and snow or rain made the cover sag and fill up.
Many of these boats were very expensive.

I believe most are clueless as to what is ultimately goin on below.
I always figured any water that went below immediatly drained to the bilge.http://picasaweb.google.com/pacerdude/EntireDeckReplacement89Celebrity224se#
Guess I will be looking at boats a little differently now.

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

I bought one that was rotted... That's how I ended up here

logan44

Cadet

So i'm pretty interested in this. Could a boat really break in two if it is rotted, or would it just crack? I mean the stingers are there for a reason. Ha. Interesting topic.

jonesg

Admiral

It usually translates into transom damage or failure, thats where the force of the engine is transfered to the hull.

bucsfinsfan13

Seaman Apprentice

Take a look at this...i was one of the buyers of a boat that had a plywood floor layed over the original floor. I thought for sure this was just a boat that needed some motor work and then off the lake i would go. HAHA yeah righthttp://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299646

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

Take a look at this...i was one of the buyers of a boat that had a plywood floor layed over the original floor. I thought for sure this was just a boat that needed some motor work and then off the lake i would go. HAHA yeah righthttp://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299646

Ya let me know if you need a chainsaw i have a few!! :D:D
Matt

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When I purchaced my last boat some years back it was the first outboard I had ever owned. I did what I thought was a pretty good inspection and a lake test everything seemed fine. Not knowing too much about big outboards (235 horse) and not having ANY mechanics that would touch an outboard that was over 10-15 years old. I joined this site to learn what I could about maintaining it myself. After doing some reading about all of the rotten transoms I thought I probably should check mine. Get home and start poking around in about 2 minutes it was aparent that the entire transom was MUSH. I had been slalom skiing(hardcore) had the family and friends in it every weekend and was not babying it by any means. Ended up doing a total transom job on it turned out rock solid and was like new till I sold it a few years back. I always considered myself VERY LUCKY to not have had a serious accident or gotten somebody hurt. I don't think the guy I bought it from had any idea how bad it was either as there were no visible signs as to what was really going on back there. Same old story of too many holes not properly sealed and bye bye transom...

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

My last boat, an 85 4 Winns 17' with a 260 Merc would downright get. She had trim tabs and a nice stainless high pitch prop. The interior was original and in pretty good shape. I pulled skiers and a 4 man tube that was as big as the boat. I gave no quarter to the hull. When I installed thru hulls, I looked at the coers real good, they looked great, solid plywood. I knew it needed a new sole so I decided to start on it, stringers were shot, when I got to the transom pulling out the stringer, I stuck my screw driver into the transom...yep the lower 1/3 was mush. I didn't have the time to fix it right so I sold it for less than the drive was worth, not to mention the extreamly low time (100hrs) 260 mercruiser and rust free trailer. Moral of the story is, these boats CAN take a LOT before rotten stringers or transoms show up as real problems...

reelfishin

Captain

I looked at a boat today, advertised as being 'rock solid', needs nothing. What I found was a 20' boat with railroad ties, (YES railroad ties), and 1/2" all thread holding the outboard on. The owner said and probably believed that was how it was supposed to be. He did say it had a pretty good leak, but he had fixed it with two new bilge pumps. The leak was probably where the garboard drain plug plate had fallen off and was hanging loose by one screw. The motor was an older 200HP Johnson, which ran great, the trailer was junk, in such poor shape I wouldn't even try to tow it. Putting my weight on the lower unit moved the entire transom about 5 inches, there was 5200 smeared all over the motor bracket, bolt holes and transom cap. The two bilge pumps were laying loose in the bilge on their sides wired direct to the two batteries which were dead. The sole had two layers of plywood over the original fiberglass, the cabin door was held together with wood glue and rusty L brackets. I really think the owner was clueless, he kept offering to take me out for a test run, but there was no way I'd take that thing to sea. The rollers on the trailer were indenting the hull so much that it was very noticeable, and there was brown strings of wood sticking out of the drain hole and all over the bilge area. It was sitting uncoverd with the trailer tongue sitting on a stump, the scuppers on deck were broken, missing both flaps. He said that the back of the boat fills with water pretty fast if there's too much weight on the stern at one time. I asked him if it was ever covered, he said "No, it's a glass boat, it's made to be wet".
Needless to say it's still sitting there. Not even worth the headache to salvage the motor in my opinion.

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

that's sad :mad:
Matt