Lowrance HDS-5

kandil

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Lowrance HDS-5

The Insight lakes have contour lines versus no contour lines for the rest of the lakes. What additional detail does the $200 Navionics version include?
Hi cougtoad how do you like it so far?I have not try my unit yet!!maybe by the end of the month:) I searched and found this to answer your question.
Both Gold Charts and Classic Charts provide the same basic navigation and fishing information however, Gold Charts offer some additional features. Most noticeably, Gold Charts look more like a paper chart, complete with shaded depth contours, colored light sectors and real-world shapes and colors of buoys and navaids. Another new feature of Gold Charts is "XPlain", a plain-language description feature that, with just a click of the cursor, deciphers confusing navigational symbols into plain-language everyone can understand.
Hi thadraperyfallz Did you call him?I would like to know this info too.

Hi cougtoad how do you like it so far?I have not try my unit yet!!maybe by the end of the month:) I searched and found this to answer your question.
Both Gold Charts and Classic Charts provide the same basic navigation and fishing information however, Gold Charts offer some additional features. Most noticeably, Gold Charts look more like a paper chart, complete with shaded depth contours, colored light sectors and real-world shapes and colors of buoys and navaids. Another new feature of Gold Charts is "XPlain", a plain-language description feature that, with just a click of the cursor, deciphers confusing navigational symbols into plain-language everyone can understand.

He emailed me back........the bulletin that Lowrance put on their site last month. I kind of figured he was full of $h!t when it seemed that I knew more about his product than he did. I'm 90% sure I'm going with the humminbird. 2 sd slots, hotkeys, SI....for only 100 bucks more. Seems like a no brainer at this point, but I'm having a hard time letting go of the whole "I must own a lowrance" thing. There are just too many unknowns with the HDS series for me right now.

He emailed me back........the bulletin that Lowrance put on their site last month. I kind of figured he was full of $h!t when it seemed that I knew more about his product than he did. I'm 90% sure I'm going with the humminbird. 2 sd slots, hotkeys, SI....for only 100 bucks more. Seems like a no brainer at this point, but I'm having a hard time letting go of the whole "I must own a lowrance" thing. There are just too many unknowns with the HDS series for me right now.

Boat Slip

Recruit

Hi,

I have enjoyed reading this thread, because I am about to pull the trigger on this unit. I am sure this thread will continue. Users please report.

Thanks

I ended up going with the Humminbird 798ci. Totally awesome unit. Very pleased with my choice.

Not to say I won't go back to Lowrance once they answer some of the unknowns with their side view technology, and offer more perks like programmable keys and an extra sd slot. Plus, just another reason to pull the trigger, Lowrance is currently offering a 50 dollar rebate on the HDS-5.

There are plenty of reputable dealers on ebay that are offering the HDS-5 with 83/200khz transducer and lake insight for 750 with free shipping. Add in the 50 bucks back from Lowrance, and you're ending up with a sweet deal! Click the link below for your rebate form. If you could hold off for a minute, ebay sometimes sends out coupons too. I ended up getting my HB 798ci for 817 brand new from ebay (Still goes for 999 in the stores).

http://www.lowrance.com/upload/Lowrance/Documents/Campaigns/HDS-UUSE-20090318.pdf

Good luck!

Buying Lowrance HDS-5 transducers?

Buying Lowrance HDS-5 transducers?

Hi. I have the head unit, an HDS-5X, and would like to find out where to get one of the 83/200 transducers. Anyone know of the part number, or a place to find the right one?? Thanks.

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lowrance have the nicest looking units on any store display.
On the water is where it counts.
I had an eight year old x75 flawless unit I had since new.
Up graded to to X510c and it was a freezing lock up disapointment.

HDS holds promise but for now I`d go Humminbird.

I quickly replaced my 510c after several upgrades to a Vexilar EdgeII that works good like the old school Lowrances did.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Well this thread has certainly slowed down as of late....

I just got my new HDS5 Lake Insight model and just finished the software/data update and am deciding how I'm going to install it in my FourWinns 211 Liberator!

I also have a LMF-200 multifunction gage with NMEA2000 fuel flow, fuel tank level and Bennett trim tab sensors. My plan is to hook it all to the network.

Anyone else done this yet?

Cheers,

Rick

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Well this thread has certainly slowed down as of late....
I am afraid to say any thing or I will be accused off being a salesman :D Congrats on your new unit and good luck with the installation

I also have a LMF-200 multifunction gage with NMEA2000 fuel flow, fuel tank level and Bennett trim tab sensors. My plan is to hook it all to the network

I think you should find all the info in the manuals let us know how it works out for you

scbassguy

Recruit

I just bought a 21ft Premiere Castaway 4pt pontoon with an HDS-5 mounted at the helm (transducer at transom). I also got a motorguide W75 wireless with integrated Lowance transducer (trolling motor is bow mounted).

Herein lies my issue. I need a head that I can use at either the bow or stern fishing stations that will work with the Motorguide transducer and could be networked with the HDS-5. It doesnt need GPS and prefer something less than $500.

So what would you recommend and how would I install the head so it could be used at either end of the boat and network with HDS-5.

Thanks

newlyboating

Recruit

Hey guys, I need help on installing my new Lowrance HDS 5. I got the power wire hook up, but where do I hook up the data wires? do I need to hook up the data wires to have my HDS 5 working correctly? Also how do I hook up the HDS 5 to read my gas gauge?, oil pressure? and etc.....? And also do we need to upgrade the software before using it?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Hey guys, I need help on installing my new Lowrance HDS 5. I got the power wire hook up, but where do I hook up the data wires? do I need to hook up the data wires to have my HDS 5 working correctly?
You don't. That's for connecting it to a device that will read NMEA0183 data.

Also how do I hook up the HDS 5 to read my gas gauge?, oil pressure? and etc.....?
First, you;ll need NMEA2000 fuel level, oil pressure and etc senders. Then you'll need the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"NMEA 2000 expansion kit"[/FONT][/FONT] available from LEI extras.

I have the LMF 200 gage and it came with cables and such to set up the network.

The HDS5 doesn't have that stuff in the box. I also don't know if anyone has oil pressure, temp, tach etc senders available yet.

Your instruction manual outlines the procedures for hooking all that stuff up.

And also do we need to upgrade the software before using it?
NO. But you should. I did mine right out of the box prior to even turning it on the first time.

Cheers,

Rick
bravoIII2.gif

alright i set up the split screen, and the only way i can figure out how to fix it is to reset it, i looked in the manual and couldnt find out how either. any help anyone?:confused:

WHATEVER???

Cadet

I just got a HDS 8 onley used it twice works great tho has any 1 know anything about the Side-Viewing Sonar Technology ???

Xino

Recruit

Interesting reading but the strange thing is that not many on this thread that have bought this unit have come back here for a report on its performance :confused:

So may I dig up this thread hoping that some of you comment on it's sonar performance. (HDS-5x model)
I'm especially interested in deep saltwater performance. Jigging at +- 100m. Deep dropping at 300m-500m.

What were the maximum depth readings achieved? With what transducer?
Were you able to mark fish at these depths?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Interesting reading but the strange thing is that not many on this thread that have bought this unit have come back here for a report on its performance :confused:

So may I dig up this thread hoping that some of you comment on it's sonar performance. (HDS-5x model)
I'm especially interested in deep saltwater performance. Jigging at +- 100m. Deep dropping at 300m-500m.

What were the maximum depth readings achieved? With what transducer?
Were you able to mark fish at these depths?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
A good freind of mine is running a HDS-10 and a TM 260 transducer. It will mark Tilefish @ 300m. Just barely, but it's better than nothing. Forget 500m. Ain't goin to happen

Xino

Recruit

A good freind of mine is running a HDS-10 and a TM 260 transducer. It will mark Tilefish @ 300m. Just barely, but it's better than nothing. Forget 500m. Ain't goin to happen

Thats disappointing for marking fish, especially with that transducer. What would the max depth be with that setup?

Would a Furuno FCV-620+TM260 or Furuno FCV-585+TM260 perform better?

I prefer the Lowrance HDS' because of the newer technology like broadband, connectivity via NMEA2000/0183 and ethernet, and of course price.

And the research continues .... :confused:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Thats disappointing for marking fish, especially with that transducer. What would the max depth be with that setup?

Would a Furuno FCV-620+TM260 or Furuno FCV-585+TM260 perform better?

I prefer the Lowrance HDS' because of the newer technology like broadband, connectivity via NMEA2000/0183 and ethernet, and of course price.

And the research continues .... :confused:
New broadband tech?

Broadband is adjustable frequency tuning. The HDS does not have this ability. Their reference to broadband is marketing at its best.

Furuno does not use broadband until you get to the FCV 295. The 295 can supply 28-200 KHz using a broadband transducer and infinite frequency adjustment between 66 and 109 KHz.

Define max. depth? There is a big difference between seeing the bottom, marking fish and holding bottom at speed. You will need a least 2kW for those depths. Need to jump up to the FCV295 or the FCV 1150 to get good performance at those depth.