Dissapearing Outdrive oil..

Deanrw3

Seaman
95 bayliner Merc 3.0 alpha 1

I have a oil res for the out drive, and it seems to be loosing oil. I took the boat out this weekend and all day the oil level never changed. I got the boat home and a over a night the res was almost empty. I filled it back up and it seems to hold or at least not drain over night...

It only seems to do it after I drive, but never while i am on the water.
No oil i dripping from the out drive into the water or on the floor.

No oil is leaking from the res or the tubing going to the outdrive. I can not see any leaking into the boat from the engine drive shaft area ( u joint bellow).

This started after i took the outdrive off, with out draining the oil, and changed the shift cable. I put it all back together and seemed to work fine. It never leaked like this before i replaced the shift cable.

So where could the oil be going. The only place i can think of is the U joint bellows...?

Thanks for the help
Dean

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Dissapearing Outdrive oil..

Pull the drive and look in the bellows.
If nothing there, and while the drive is off, drain the drive and do a pressure and vacuum check. (No, you can't do it with oil in the drive)

Deanrw3

Seaman

The drive held pressure, but not much vac. I am also seeing some oil in the bottom of the boat, however it does not seem to be the same color. No other oil is low so i assume it is the drive oil.

If there is oil in the u joint bellow, where would it be leaking from. (not sure of what seals are around the drive shaft)

The wired part is, i had the drive off a couple times and ran the boat a couple times, and not until i replaced the shift cable this last time did it start. Not that I think it has anything to do with the shift cable, just weird.

Also, just as a side note in case it matters, there is no water in the outdrive oil.

thanks for the quick response.

Dean

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

If there is oil in the u joint bellow, where would it be leaking from. (not sure of what seals are around the drive shaft)

It would be leaking from the u-joint shaft going into the drive..... pretty common.

Deanrw3

Seaman

How hard is it to replace the u joint shaft seal? I have the manual but haven't got a chance to look though it for that seal. Just trying to get an idea of what i might be getting into if that is the problem (which i think it is).

It is just one o-ring that does the sealing? Any special tools or tips needed? :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Dean

ziggy

Admiral

I have the manual but haven't got a chance to look though it for that seal.
ya need to look at yer service manual. it ain't straight fwd. and there are enough pages that ya really should look at the facts....... yes there's special tools involved.... lots of info starting on pp 3A15........ section 3 covers the drive shaft housing..... yer gonna need to read it....

Deanrw3

Seaman

I guess what i was trying to ask, is this something that can be done in a couple hours at home, or a dealer thing for sure.

I have done the water pump, and shift cable + bellows so far. I am just trying to gauge the time and skill level needed, and if i should just save my time and take the boat in :rolleyes:

Thanks for the response. I will at least pull the drive tonight and let you guys know what i see for sure. I am almost positive there will be oil in the bellow, because i think i remember seeing a little bit last time, just not as much as i am leaking now.

thanks,
dean

ziggy

Admiral

can be done in a couple hours at home
if ya had all yer ducks in a row maybe. including all the proper tools.....
i have an old one drive. replacing that ft. seal for the first time took me longer than a couple of hours for sure. i didn't have all my ducks in a row......but i did read my service manual over and over so that i could get what i needed prior to attempting to do the deed....... i had much more time in prep than i did in actually doing the deed. once again, read the sm. it describes exactly what ya need to do.......

food for thought. taking the boat in may be a bigger waste of time than doing it yerself. it's the busy season at most boat repair stores right now.....

Deanrw3

Seaman

Ziggy, thanks.

I will get the outdive off, and see what is going on. Read my SM and be back for help when i need it :eek: (which wont take long).

Thanks,
Dean

Deanrw3

Seaman

Ok back with questions....

I took the drive off and the u joint bellow was full of oil...:mad: (as expected)

So i started reading the SM and i have a couple questions.

1.) How do i remove the ujoint retainer. It just says remove it...?

ujointretainer.jpg

2.) Which seal is the one i need to order and replace? I am guessing #18? (oil seal)

explode.jpg

It looks to me that i have to remove the retainer and pull out the knuckle and replace the seal, is this correct?

Thanks for the help!

Dean

JustJason

Vice Admiral

deanrw3 said:
How do i remove the ujoint retainer. It just says remove it...?

you remove it with the ujoint retainer tool... and a BFH. (to hit the tool, not the drive)

For tools for the job you need;

1. Mercruiser factory service manual
2. U joint retainer nut tool
3. BFH
4. LFH... plastic one if the assembly doesn't want to come out
5. 1/2 drive torque wrench, clicker, capable of 150ft/lbs +
6. 1/4 or 3/8 drive torque wrench, dial type, for setting the bearings
7. 3/8 12pt socket for popping the top cap
8. a good bench vise
9. and a good assortment of sockets for the rest of the crap

you need parts 16, 18, 25 and 26, according to your picture. You also need to pay extra special attention to #9 for wear. Whats not in the picture is the o ring for the top cap. you need that too along with a drive mounting gasket kit.
actually before you buy anything pop the top and look at the upper bearing. If that's rusty it may be a sign and your looking at more than a re-seal job.

deanrw3 said:
It looks to me that i have to remove the retainer and pull out the knuckle and replace the seal, is this correct?

sure... but if you want the bearings to last there's a few extra steps involved.... so lookie in the manual