Update alert.......Question

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
I keep getting an Update alert. It's unidentified, if I click on yes or no the pop-up disappears and nothing else happens. Nothing happens when you right click on it either. It just randomly pops-up.

This is how it looks......In the blue header it says, Update alert. In the pop-up box there is a blue question mark in a quote cloud (ya know like a comic quote cloud), then the print says...New version is avaliable. Would you like to download and install new version? Again, if I click yes or no the same thing happens, nothing, other than the pop-up disappears.

Does anyone have any idea what this is and how do I get rid of it?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Update alert.......Question

Next time you see it RIGHT CLICK the mouse on it and look at the PROPERTIES...... that will give you mor information if it is related to one of your programs or what it is linked to in your computer.

Right click the iboats screen here and click properties and you should see "http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=37;gtid=1251329" or close to it.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Have you run your anti-spyware program? If you do a Alt-prnt scrn it will capture the popup, paste it into paint and post it. It might help identify it, but money is on spyware.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Well it wouldn't print on the page. :'(

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Well i took a picture of it. Another note, when it pops-up it only pops up on my desk top not on the screen i'm viewing.

DSC01646.jpg

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

It sure is cute.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

So...... you have not tried the right click of the mouse inside that "cute" little box??

rwise

Captain

Have you tried disabling windows mesanger service?

KaGee

Admiral

Looks suspicious to me.

dolluper

Captain

Do you have your task bar open above start and Iboats down at the bottom of your screen? It shows your download progress and site coming from info if so cursor over the displayed box to see if info shows,where it's coming from address

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Bob_VT said:
So...... you have not tried the right click of the mouse inside that "cute" little box??

Nothing happens when I right click on it. Just like I never even clicked the mouse. See my first post. ;)

rwise said:
Have you tried disabling windows mesanger service?

No I haven't. Can you explain how. I pretty much computer illiterate. :%

dolluper said:
Do you have your task bar open above start and Iboats down at the bottom of your screen?

Yes

dolluper said:
It shows your download progress and site coming from info if so cursor over the displayed box to see if info shows,where it's coming from address

When I cursor over it it say update alert. If I left click on the little box at the bottom of the screen I get a small box that says "move", if I click on the move box it turns my cursor into a fourway arrow so I can move the poltergeist all over the screen.

dolluper

Captain

So when you cursor over it {without clicking} all that appears is update and nothing else in the task toolbar,no address right?......If your running Win 2k you can turn off the messanger by Start button/click/ settings/click control panel/click/ ..Double click on administrative tools/ select system tools/dbl click .then scroll down to messanger /click to blue it/then click action at top left/set to disable or manual whatever you have there Do all this not hooked up to the NET eh! AND LOGGED in as Admimistrator"" if you not running Win2k ignore these instrucks"" someone else can help just post what your Running xp or whatever Guess you having fun moving it all around at least

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

My bet is that it's a bilboard drawing you in. It's already installed. By clicking on just about anything on the original was all it took. It's still popping up drawing you in, but you already bit. It's a spybot. Spybot Search and Destroy is freeware and should zap it.

Sometimes the language is vague to draw you to clicking the wrong button, but most of the time any button you hit including the little x in the corner installs spyware. Always close popups with a right click to the mouse and click close. That option probably doesn't work on your popup anymore. It's nothing more than a shadow now.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I'm running Windows XP.

I ran the Spybot cleaner also, will let you know what happens.

xtraham

Lieutenant

RP,
if you think it may be spyware, try AVG anti-spyware, it's free.......
I have spybot and several other spyware programs some I paid a lot of $ for.
when I installed AVG and ran it,
it found 76 infections, Trojans, key loggers etc. I was shocked......
it's worth a try
good luck

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

dolluper wrote: "So when you cursor over it {without clicking} all that appears is update and nothing else in the task toolbar,no address right?......"

You are correct.....

Well, after running Spybot and AVG, which found nothing at all, I still have a poltergeist. :':)|

Any other suggestions?

How does JB say it....RATZACARAT?

dolluper

Captain

Hey RP try the way I said to get to your Admin tools and system tools it can't be that much different a system as Win 2k,experiment at least only way to learn since no one else will help .At the least is you can close it if, if it doesn't work by that path,I always think that XP is only WIN 2k sp5 which never came out Like me bucks for micro

rwise

Captain

RP
Start run type in the box "services.msc" press enter (click ok)

no " " find and dissable windows messanger, there are other un-needed services but thats another thread.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Does it only come up when you are browsing the internet?

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Is this a semi-new computer? A lot of new computers come pre-installed with a lot of trial software, once the trail period is up, you'll get popups, but most will have the name of the software in the popup. Go to the control panel>add remove programs> and look for this type of software as well as others that you did not install, like toolbars and remove them. If your not sure, research it before you remove it.

Go to:
C:\WINDOWS\Temp
C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch
C:\Documents and Settings\user name \Local Settings\Temp
And delete the contents

You can also go to start>run msconfig and look in there to disable programs that run in the background when windows start. You can saftly uncheck all if you like, but your antivirus is in there so it will not be running.

Also look in Start>all programs>start menu and right click items in there and delete them. IT does not delete the program, just stops it from loading and running in the background.