Would you pay $500 for this 25 footer?

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer
This is what the ad said about the boat. 25 ft 1970 Bertram - $500
Project boat-boat was used for a long time, then had serious engine problems. Boat has a 200hspwr outboard that does not run. Many other accessories. All fiberglass with cutty cabin. Comes with trailer. $500.
8414.jpg

8415.jpg

How long would one have to wait for a motor that size to come across ebay or craigslist at a reasonable cost? It's taking me forever to restore a 14'ter I could not imagine how long it would take me to do a 25'ter.​

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Would you pay $500 for this 25 footer?

well without more info it would be a project. also depends on what is wrong with motor. you see 200hp on ebay all the time.

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

well without more info it would be a project. also depends on what is wrong with motor. you see 200hp on ebay all the time.
Yes TD that's what the ad stated above, Project boat and I do see 200hp on ebay all the time but they are for local pickup only, usually around 400 miles away from VA or more. Do you think the seller would let me do some random core samples?

LX Kid

Ensign

Go price a new 25' anything! They are expensive! The trailer, even though I can't see it, is probably worth $500. Waiting for an engine to come along would be worth the wait. I'd buy it if I have a place to keep it. Ron

BigJ08

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go price a new 25' anything! They are expensive! The trailer, even though I can't see it, is probably worth $500. Waiting for an engine to come along would be worth the wait. I'd buy it if I have a place to keep it. Ron

I agree! At very worst you could get your money back out of it down the road probably by just selling the trailer, and parting out pieces of the motor that were still good.

jonesg

Admiral

Bertrams are worth the trouble but I can em free on cape cod.
People are still scared by gas prices and storage fees I guess.

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Buy it! i but you can part it out for more than that if it came to it.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

I'd certainly go for it. Seems like a good deal and as others said, worst case you part it out.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The hull design looks a lot like my ChrisCraft..
If the transom was solid i would go for it.The motor could be something not too bad to fix,you never know..
I agree the trailer is probably worth the 500...

redfury

Commander

I'd agree. Especially the part about finding a different motor for it. Everyone is looking for 90-115hp motors and those 200's are too big to put on the average joe's boat. Had a guy at work that was trying to get rid of a 200hp motor when I got my boat...good deal, but I'm rated for 125hp max....not going over that.

LX Kid

Ensign

You Better Snag It "now" Before Someone Else Does. Don't Think You Can Loose Money On That One! You Could Part It Out And Make Money Should You Decide Not To Restore It. Ron

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

You Better Snag It "now" Before Someone Else Does. Don't Think You Can Loose Money On That One! You Could Part It Out And Make Money Should You Decide Not To Restore It. Ron
I just sent an email to the seller asking for more info I regards to hull condition and what went wrong with the motor. If all I have to do is wait for a motor I will clear a spot in the backyard for it. But if there is major work, like pulling the deck they can keep it.

GO OVRIT

Seaman

I've looked at that boat at least a dozen times on Craigslist and have had a really hard time not getting it. (Promised my wife I wouldn't get anymore projects:() Its a Bertram, so you know its built solid. The engine might be worth fixing. Your not that far away from me, and I live near one of the best Mercury mechanics. I say definately get it.

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

I've looked at that boat at least a dozen times on Craigslist and have had a really hard time not getting it. (Promised my wife I wouldn't get anymore projects:() Its a Bertram, so you know its built solid. The engine might be worth fixing. Your not that far away from me, and I live near one of the best Mercury mechanics. I say definately get it.
I promised my wife the same thing and I'm here now thinking of how i'm gonna hide it in the backyard :D What part of VA are you located, Hampton area?

GO OVRIT

Seaman

Gloucester. About 45 mins from hampton.

Stoutcat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Keepnit real,

My $.02...

* If you've fallen in love with the boat... well there you go.

* You have enough experience now to know what you're potentially getting into.

* Given the sheer size, you might want to think about a semi-permanent shelter. (The wife is going to love that idea.)

* Bertrams are as good as it gets... At least they used to be. Someone correct me here if I'm wrong.

* I wouldn't worry about the motor... Between the boat and trailer (and your current project), you'll probably have plenty of time to find a nice motor or get the existing one fixed (doubtful).

* As for getting a "new" motor that ain't exactly local... The following will sound crazy, but it worked for me... When the wife and I wanted to buy our boat, it was 180 - 200 miles away... So we started thinking about who we knew that was half way in between us and the boat. We came up with my wife's step mother. She was about 100 miles away. The owner dropped it off at her place, and we came up and picked it up. (We really should have a "Pony Express" forum for guys who have to travel with trucks.) Anyway, at this point, the wife and I look at ALL boats regardless of the location. As soon as we see something we like, we break out "Google Earth" and try to figure out who we know that's close to the find. You promise folks a few boat rides and give 'em a few bucks for gas, and they're friends forever. (And that's how it should be.)

Alan

linkster01

Cadet

Looks like a good deal. I would do it providing I had the space to work on it, and didn't need it first thing next season.

mthieme

Captain

Bertram is a good boat and hold their value.
If I wanted another project, the answer would be yes.

jcsercsa

Captain

OHH yea i agree there are 200 on ebay all the time , and if i didnt allready have another one lined up to do i would think about it !! heck i paid 500 for mine !! 25 footer thoe i wouldnt be able to fit in my garage !! John