'80 Sea Ray 270 Sedan Bridge

Tiwaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: '80 Sea Ray 270 Sedan Bridge

So just because we have been setting temperature records here daily I have still been working on her. Started cutting the wood trim for the cockpit.
img1183c.jpg

I also tried a sample peice for the new cockpit decking and engine cover I am going to build.
img1184.jpg

Looks like the poly will hold just fine.
img1185a.jpg

I should stay and do some more but it just past 39c (102f for those of you down south) and that just too hot to polish aluminum.

For all the others that have posted that you have the same boat, how about some pictures I am starting to feel dirty for not working on a Starcraft around here;)

init2deep

Cadet

Hey just stumbled across this forum and this thread, very interesting I must say. I just got the same boat. It's a little rough but not to far gone. It currently has the twin 470's and I've been told by 2 marine tech's that they are not worth fixing, so I'm thinking about going with a single 350/Bravo drive. I'll try to get some pictures up soon. If I can help you out in anyway let me know.

I have this boat and rebuilt my 470's a while back great to work on and easy to work around. Best part is there are two of them. I feel better with a back up. I live on Whidbey Island in the Puget Sound and will always have a second motor of some type. If your motors are not worth rebuilding they can make you some money on ebay for parts. GL with this great boat.

Attachments

• 470s.jpg
    470s.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

init2deep

Cadet

Here are some pics for you. I pulled mine home and have been working on the woodwork for a couple of weeks noe. Just my luck to choose the hottest summer in years on Whidbey. Anyway i am refinishing the wood that is already there. A few pieces will have to be replaced but not much. Cool thing is there are a few abandoned boats down at the county dock that i can get some good teak from. Here are my befor pics.

Attachments

• P1010075.jpg
    P1010075.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010088.jpg
    P1010088.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010090.jpg
    P1010090.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010091.jpg
    P1010091.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010092.jpg
    P1010092.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 0

init2deep

Cadet

A few more pics.

Attachments

• P1010094.jpg
    P1010094.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010098.jpg
    P1010098.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 0

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

The wood looks like ribbon stripe sapele mahogany. Mucho deniro but worth every penny in durability and strength. Darn good looking too !!! Your boat is better than new.

Tiwaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The wood is actually Angelim Pedra. Much cheaper than ribbon Mahogany much harder as well. It also has good rot resistance and stability. I do have Ribbon cut Mahogany for the cabin sole when that gets replaced.

init2deep

Cadet

I am more of a mechanical person so this wood work is a bit of a proccess for me. When i took the wood of the fiberglass it had so much sealant, it was all over and squashedout from under the wood. This was the way it was when i got it. Anyway when i put it back together should i use a sealant between the wood and glass and if so what and how much. Im definatly a greenhorn in this area.

Tiwaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

init2deep, Thanks for posting the pics of your boat. I also have all the wood off from around the windows and your right there was a ton of sealant on the back side. I have removed as much of as I could, when I replace it I think that I am going to use a latex caulk with silicone in it. That is if I can find the colour that I want otherwise I will use a straight silicone window sealer for it.

Tiwaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

img1186.jpg

Here is all of the wood trim that I have been refinishing. I think my wife is beginning to lose her patience with it on the dinning room table though.

init2deep

Cadet

Yeh mine is getting the same way. At first she was all into it. Then it started taking longer than she wanted it to. I have put alot of it back on using a clear sealant. The stuff i took off was black and looked awfull. I will get a photo of the stuff i put back on and post it. thanks for the reasurance on the sealant. I also scuffed and painted all the brown paneling stuff pure white before i [put the trim back on. it looks great.

Tiwaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This weekend I polished out the trim around the flybridge seam and painted the window frame. Why is it when you write that out it doesn't seem like it should have taken 20 hours of work to do?
img1190fmp.jpg

img1192jdl.jpg

img1197m.jpg

I also started repainting the areas that got stripped when polihing the rub rail. But still were did the weekend go?

richard3rd

Recruit

Hey as I posted earlier I'm going from twin 4 cylinders to a single v8. I was wondering if it was possible to get the measurements on the stringers for the motor mounts. I just need to know if I need to add them or if the 2 inner stringers are correct for a v8 setup. Any help in this would be great!:redface:

OL BLUE

Recruit

Hey init2deep, I refurbished a 1977 Searay 240 Sedan Bridge inside and out and want to share this with you (although it may be too late now since you starting painting your interior). That crummy looking wood grain stuff is like wall paper or something. Mine was shot when I bought the boat 10 years ago. I ended up resurfacing almost all the interior wood with formica. If you can find a cabinet shop that works in formica and will sell retail, you will be AMAZED at what you can buy. Formica ranges from solid colors in gloss and flat to stone colors and most wood grains, including teak. I used a combination of wood grain and flat off-white and talk about better than new. And it's tough! Won't dent or scratch (within reason) and you can scrub the dirt with most household cleaners and not worry about damaging it or the color coming off. I even covered my deck hatches with it. You get the occassional rock in the sole of a shoe that will scratch, but if you're careful, well, mine has lasted 10 years. The inside looks like the day I did it and the deck hatches are still looking so good that I don't feel a need to redo them yet. Now, I do keep my boat on a trailer in an RV building, so I cannot say how long the outside formica would stay looking good if exposed to constant weather.

init2deep

Cadet

Sorry to be gone so long. I am in the Navy and was unavailable for a bit. Anyway Ol Blue i will look into the formica thing. Anything will be nicer than the stuff thats in their now. Also TIWAZ your boat is looking amazing. I dont think i could ever go that far but wow better than new. One more thing RICHARD3RD are your old 270's worth saving? I will get out and take a few pics now that i am home of the wood put back on.

Tiwaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm just back to work after two weeks vacation. I got a ton of work done on the boat. I get some pictures up later. Here is a short run down.

I have the new deck installed inside, installed all new thru hull fittings ,new cleats(4 of 6, 2 are still back ordered), Most of the exterior wood trim is on Just have the Bow rails left to put on. I have most of the interior back in as well as new LED lighting and a new stereo and speakers. New LED Nav lights and new lights for the cockpit.

Thats it for now.

BTW thanks for the kind comments guys :)

Tiwaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Some pics
IMG_1200.jpg

Rubber insert going in
IMG_1201.jpg

Done
IMG_1206.jpg

After a seemingly endless wait this box of goodies arrived
IMG_1208.jpg

Installed with a new flush fit tank vent
IMG_1253.jpg

Sitting in the sun at my Dads
IMG_1249.jpg

Tiwaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My Dad joining wood for trim pieces

IMG_1251.jpg

After cutting to shape prior to stain
IMG_1259.jpg

Here are some other pieces after staining.
IMG_1252.jpg

Moving inside the new tank cover being fit
IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

Here you can see the ribbon mahogany now down for the deck and some of the new carpet as well as the cut out for the cabin heater.

Tiwaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A couple more showing the new carpet and floor
IMG_1258.jpg

You can see some of the floor peeking out from underneath the cardboard here.
IMG_1257.jpg

Tiwaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

LED transom light
boat063.jpg

Starboard LED nav light
boat064.jpg

LED cabin lights
boat073.jpg

Interior going back in
boat074.jpg

Better shot of the floor( yes I know its dirty already)
boat076.jpg

Tiwaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cockpit coaming
boat069.jpg

boat070.jpg

New cleat
boat068.jpg

wood decking for the walkways
boat071.jpg

boat072.jpg