1976 Aluminum Starcraft Restoration Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnr2003

Seaman
After debating whether or not to sell the old Starcraft and get something newer, I've decided to hang on to it and bring her back to life. Thought I'd share the project with everyone. This boat has been in the family for at least 20 years and is ready for a much needed makeover.

22' all aluminum with a Mercruiser 165 hp inline six.

The engine/outdrive have had a complete tuneup and still runs great. It hit 39 mph while racing ziggy on the lake last weekend (I lost).

DSC00165.jpg

lW3tgUkdYGimzPuqgONuB3WHhkZxG6K-030.jpg

DSC00230.jpg

I'm not sure what color it was originally, but a friend of the family painted it tan with brown stripes before we bought it. I painted it about 5 years ago using metal primer and plain old white Rustoleum paint. I am extremely pleased with how well it has held up. I will be repainting the trailer a charcoal gray this fall and adding side guides to make it easier to load.

So far I've built a new doghouse and captains chair, pulled out the old floors and side panels, and now I'm sealing the rivets and putting in the new floor. Then the topdeck will get recoated with either paint or truck bed liner and the dash will be redone with new gauges.

DSC00237.jpg

DSC00157.jpg

DSC00243.jpg

Any comments, suggestions, or tips for the restore would be gladly appreciated.

cnr2003

Seaman
Re: 1976 Aluminum Starcraft Restoration Progress

My ametuer seat restoration before and after.

DSC00730.jpg

DSCF1060.jpg

cnr2003

Seaman

Here is an old shot while it was being prepped for paint. I'm sure glad the tan color is gone.

DSC00795.jpg

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am glad the tan is gone as well. Looking good

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks great. I really like how the doghouse turned out.

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice start... I love the starcraft alum boats. keep posting the pics and soon you'll see ours on here! what method did you use to get the paint on it and what kind of paint did you use?

cnr2003

Seaman

Nice start... I love the starcraft alum boats. keep posting the pics and soon you'll see ours on here! what method did you use to get the paint on it and what kind of paint did you use?

I used Rustoleum metal primer followed by plain old Rustoleum oil based paint (not the marine specific stuff). This was my first real attempt at a paint job.

I sprayed it on using an HVLP air gun. The only problem with my method was that I did not sand the bottom of the boat and the paint is flaking off. I'm not sure if I will spray it again or just use the roll and tip method since that would be easier than trying to lay on the ground and spray upward.

AZMinyard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Make sure to use self etching primer as well. It apparently makes a big difference when it comes to aluminum.

Looks good!

cnr2003

Seaman

I made a little bit of progress this weekend. Recoated the top deck with Herculiner roll on truck bed liner. I am extremely impressed with how it turned out. This is much more durable than the spray on stuff that was previously used.

The next step is to put a strip of carpet down the center of the walking portion to match the interior. Will hopefully get that done tomorrow and then I can get the hardware and windshield put back on.

Before:
DSC00278.jpg

After:
DSC00299.jpg

Ziggy might like this one.....I think I discovered the original color of the boat underneath the gas fill tube.

DSC00276.jpg

cnr2003

Seaman

Finally the weather has cooperated and I'm slowly making progress. The plywood is already cut and will hopefully be sealed in the next couple of days. Only the foam that was in the very bottom of the 'V' was wet, the rest will be reused.

DSCN1581.jpg

DSCN1579.jpg

New seats. I also picked up a matching bucket seat for the passenger side up front. I'll be keeping my captain's chair for the driver's side.

DSCN1588.jpg

And the foam, which is now taking up what little space I had left in my garage.

DSCN1585.jpg

cnr2003

Seaman

I finally put the windshield back on after having it in the house for several days getting cleaned up. I was pleased with how well it turned out. I didn't have to break out the sandpaper or steel wool as I was satisfied with just the polish.

DSCN1563.jpg

I'm also in the process of completely redoing the entire dash. I have it all drawn out, I just haven't decided if I'm going to cover it with vinyl like it was before or if I'm going to do everything with mahogany. I'm thinking of doing it all in mahogany and then also doing the upper side panels in mahogany to extend the wood look all the way to the back of the boat. Any thoughts?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Good work, looking good. I can't argue with mahogany as I'm sure that would look awesome. But if you're looking for a simple route, I replaced my dash wood with a piece of that PVC trim board from Lowes. One side of it is textured to look like wood but the other side is smooth as a countertop. Very easy to work with to install guages, etc. and rot proof.

My only other suggestion is consider using the pink or blue foam from Lowes/HD insteal of the white styro. I had the same styro in mine when I took it apart and like you I reused what wasn't wet. However, as I'm sure you did, I had some pieces that were wet and they were heavy. I am now wishing I hadn't put the dry styro back in because I don't want it to get wet and heavy. Knowing what I know now I'd definitely use the pink or the blue. It absolutely DOES NOT absorb water. Look at this pic from Paul Bell's resto project. If this doesn't look sweet I don't know what does http://picasaweb.google.com/pacerdude/EntireDeckReplacement89Celebrity224se#5305852018165355202

cnr2003

Seaman

Since the rest of the Starcraft gang has been hard at work on their resto's, I thought I'd give an update on mine.

The bow deck is done except for the bow light and the trim that will cover the edge of the carpet.

DSCN1652.jpg

The hull is finally clean! Started by filling the boat up with a water/degreaser mixture then switched to oven cleaner for the stubborn stuff. I have at least two dozens rivets that are leaking and I plan on replacing those with stainless bolts.

DSCN1650.jpg

The treated deck pieces have all been cut and coated with spar varnish. So far one gallon has covered two coats on both sides and I have one gallon left.

DSCN1646.jpg

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's looking great. Your hull cleaned up very nicely - and we all know what fun that job is. I was caught by your paint scheme on the outside - a real classic look and well-done! Keep the photos and progress reports coming.

Hey, this Starcraft thing is really catching on.

cnr2003

Seaman

Just a quick update. I replaced 80 rivets yesterday with those stainless grille bolts that another member mentioned on here. Less than half of those were actually leaking, but I went ahead and replaced the ones that looked like they had potential to leak. These bolts appear to be much sturdier than the original rivets.

I also started cutting up the pink foam to replace the old stuff. I was originally going to reuse most of it, but with two sheets of 1" and two sheets of 1.5" foam, I was able to replace everything except the very thick pieces that go between the stringers. Those were bone dry anyways, so I'm reusing them.

Rain has halted my progress, so hopefully next week I can tackle the Gluvit and the new deck can go in.

Revenge

Seaman

The boat is really looking nice. I am a Boston Whaler fan at heart, but these Starcraft projects are really fun to watch.

Go with the mahongy wood for the dash. That would look nice, kinda like the old classic Whaler look.

Keep posting pictures.

cnr2003

Seaman

Picture Time! The Gluvit finally cured and I was able to get the foam in. I replaced everything except the very thick pieces on the top center layer. They were perfectly dry.

DSCN1668.jpg

Layed the floor in and it finally feels like I'm making progress. I need to paint the inside wall of the transom and scrape off the rest of the old carpet and glue on the sides. The side storage compartments will be carpeted to match the floor and the inside of the bow is more than likely going to be truck bed liner.

DSCN1674.jpg

cnr2003

Seaman

The boat is really looking nice. I am a Boston Whaler fan at heart, but these Starcraft projects are really fun to watch.

Go with the mahongy wood for the dash. That would look nice, kinda like the old classic Whaler look.

Keep posting pictures.

The plan is still to redo the entire dash with mahogany. Since I'm redesigning it a little bit, I'm going to build a mockup out of scrap wood first. With the price of the mahogany, I can't afford to make any mistakes.

cnr2003

Seaman

More progress! New swim platform, all new rollers on the trailer, new steering wheel and front bucket seats, and the rear seats are finished.

DSCN1682.jpg

DSCN1686.jpg

DSCN1679.jpg

DSCN1694.jpg

Rickairmedic

Commander

Looking good CNR you made the right choice keeping her nothing like her on the market today that I know of . I am doing a 1970 Jupiter V 16' and am on the lookout for a 21'-22' like yours or a Supersport in the same 21'-22' size :D.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.