Have a look - NEVER USED 1973 Evinrude 6!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: Have a look - NEVER USED 1973 Evinrude 6!

One part of me says, yes you should keep in your office and pass it on to your kids someday. The other part of me says that it is like a nice, vintage guitar that should be played.

LOL, I actually glad that it is you who has the motor instead of me.

BryaninFL

Cadet

Awesome, I have the exact motor, close to new looking, but not like that wow thats a beauty.

She'd probably start on the second pull like mine,

Pull the choke she kicks.

Put the choke in, And she will fire up.

jbjennings

Captain

I just looked at this thread for the first time in a while.....

Those harley's Wayne mentioned still in the crate......I'd get fired because I'd be back there trying to get some gas in one of them and the tires aired up!

Now as for that 6hp, it sure it perty, but I'm like Jay, I'm glad he's got it instead of me.....
If it were mine I'd finally reach the point where I couldn't stand it any longer and I'd go run it, then get it dirty and spend half the next day cleaning it up, then the other half moping around because I scratched it.

I did the same thing with the '68 chevelle I restored a few years ago. I couldn't enjoy it for fear of scratching my paint. I sold it and although I miss it, I still remember the worrying over getting dings in it.
JBJ

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Awe, I say go ahead and run it before your teenage son (or your daughter's boyfriend that you hate) gets a hold of it when your on vacation and runs the crap out of it on the lake without adding any 2 stroke oil to the gas and throws a rod out the side!

You'll be sorry you didn't!

Just kidding!!

MAS

PS Make sure you save the packaging and the box!!! It's will be worth much more if you ever decide to sell it later on!

mmawonder

Seaman

When I saw the motor, first thing came to my mind was putting it on a nice stand in a roped area as display model. That motor would do you much more good that way that runnig it. Its like a nice piece of furniture that noone has. Even if ou never sell it as a collectors item, you will always have the feel of owning a brand new 1970's motor. Good choice, I'd like to see pics of the roped display.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like its version of a starter, kicks ***

tonypizza

Seaman

:cool:Wow that is very nice thank you for the pictures .:)

Vert1go

Seaman Apprentice

I don't mean to bring up an old post, but I found out something interesting on this motor. The propeller is lexan plastic, not aluminum. Is that the norm for these?

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

I don't mean to bring up an old post, but I found out something interesting on this motor. The propeller is lexan plastic, not aluminum. Is that the norm for these?

Yes. For a few years, starting probably around 1973, the Lexan plastic propeller was used on the smaller Johnson & Evinrude motors. By 1976 they were reverting to aluminum as standard but still offering plastic.

Dad had to replace the prop on his 1965 Johnson 9? in the mid-70s. The replacement was Lexan. Eventually OMC re-issued the props in aluminum, and dad ended up getting an aluminum prop again.

hootyhooo

Seaman Apprentice

Shhhhweet... nice find... I couldn't run it. A guy at my local marina found a 52 johnny and a 54? rude from a local widow they are both mint... gotta get some pics of them and post... I'm sure there are alot of people here who would appreciate them.
Dave

LakeRacer99

Cadet

Greg, i can't believe you dodged that vintage guitar comparison.
How bout a pic of the 6 in your office, I am sure your collector guitars are on display there too.

Jason

Knightgang

Lieutenant

So what was the story from the seler. How did they manage to have a 36 year old brand new motor still in the box...???

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Holy smokes... I just saw this thread for the first time... Beautiful... So what's happened with the 'lil engine in the last few months? Is there an update to the story?

stingertrey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is absolutely amazing.. Im with everyone else.. never run it.. its what makes it special.... run it, and its just another 6hp outboard..

Bob Gilvary

Petty Officer 1st Class

A beautiful piece for sure. Thanks for showing us.
In the late 80's I saw a 55' Johnson 8 hp, I think it was, still in the crate. Selling price on it was 850.00. It was at a tackle shop in Okechobee Fl.

I was looking for a 25 hp this year and spotted a Craigslist ad for a 97' 25 hp Johnson. Priced at 1200.00. Come to find out it was a recent purchase that was taken out of the box in June of 2010, then traded in for a new 50 hp Yamaha.

It was electric start, came with a late model control box, wiring harness W/T&T, and control cables. Went to see it and it was all the add said. Just a beautiful piece of machinery. Hooked up a battery, gas, and water, and it ran sweet. Now it's in my shed waiting for a boat remodel to get finished.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

old thread, but i wouldnt even think twice about running it so i quess i dont hold much on the collectors scale,lol.if i found a never used model t, the never used would last as long as it took to get it started.