Have a look - NEVER USED 1973 Evinrude 6!

Vert1go

Seaman Apprentice
Did any of you ever see something like this? New, never used 1973 Evinrude 6 Fisherman. Do you think it would even run?

2q33qpu.jpg

2hibeoh.jpg

2na2tg0.jpg

2hfhpv9.jpg

mhx0er.jpg

124a2qd.jpg

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Have a look - NEVER USED 1973 Evinrude 6!

Pure junk. I'll come and pick it up and give it a nice funeral.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

ezeke you beat me to it. :D:D

joho5

Chief Petty Officer

man, that is very nice. I love the way the vintages of this age were constructed and look. I like how the cover sits on that, it looks really easy and exposed when off so its easy to work on. Although, you wont have to work on it for a while.

how did you get that?

CATransplant

Admiral

Yup. It'll run...no problem. Since it's stayed in its crate, the rubber stuff looks good, like hoses, etc.

I expect that, if you put some 50:1 in that tank, pump the bulb 'till it's hard, pull the choke out, set the throttle to Start, it will fire on the third pull.

You might want to change the impeller, though, before using it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's still in fine shape. Again, since it's been in the box and not turned over, the neoprene rubber it's made of probably hasn't deteriorated.

Others may have a different opinion on this, but I'd treat it as a brand new outboard and go for it.

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dude... Who, What, Where, Why, When.... There has to be a story here...
These things don't grow on trees....

Whatsup?

PS... Beautiful sight!

skargo

Banned

Wow, talk about a time capsule. :D

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Personally, I would not run it. At 35 years and counting, it will eventually become collectible for what it is - a never been run motor. As soon as you run it, it becomes just another used motor, albeit a very clean one. If you really want/need a 6hp motor, look for a good used one...
- Scott

freddyray21

Commander

I have to agree with Scott on this. Fire it up and it's worth a whole lot less.

CATransplant

Admiral

I don't know. How long will it be before a 1973 6hp Evinrude is of interest to collectors. I don't see it anytime in the near future.

I'd stick it on the back of my 12' tinny and sell the 1992 6hp that's on there now. It'd be nice to have a new outboard for a change.

There were so many of those slant top 6hps made over the years that I doubt there will ever be any collector interest in them.

Just another opinion.

freddyray21

Commander

not too many brand new one's out there though

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

There were so many of those slant top 6hps made over the years that I doubt there will ever be any collector interest in them.

Just another opinion.

30 years ago we thought the same thing about 1950s Johnrudes and Mercs and look where they are now... They were just service motors when I was a kid. I didn't think anything of them and ran the tar out of them as "just another motor". The little 6hp has a pretty unique look to it, as already evidenced by an above comment that thought it looked cool. People collect things for far less than that reason right there...
- Scott

CATransplant

Admiral

Yabbut look at the prices the 50s stuff is getting. It's just not that much. When I sold my old RDS20 for $900, I was shocked. Since then, I've seen half a dozen of them in similar condition in my area for $400 and under.

Again, how many thousands of those 6hps were sold between the 1960s and the 1990s? They're all nice-looking, and the look didn't change a lot over the years, until 1992, when they slapped a box on as a cowling.

I just don't see a big upwards price trend for such common engines. Now, if it was the first of the 6hps, new in box, it might have possibilities, but the 1973 model doesn't have all that much to distinguish it from all the others.

I'd pay a small premium over a used one to get a new one in a box, but not that much.

Folding 3hps are much more attractive, and there are some of those that turn up that have just a few hours on them. They don't bring that much, either, although the collectors seem to like 'em.

Old outboard collectors are tight with their bucks, in my experience. The big money stuff is in the racing versions and very early models that are scarce.

For me, the Evinrude Zephyr is highly desirable. I'd love to have one. And I can, if I can come up with $250 or so, and that would get me one in restored, running condition. And that's the smallest production 4-cylinder thing on the planet. Lots of coolness. Not much for price.

jbjennings

Captain

That is too cool! I'm glad you posted some nice pics! Myself, I wouldn't run it. I'm amazed at how even the colors on the box look new. It has been in a dark, dry, probably controlled humidity location for all these years, right?
The tank that goes with it, too! What a neat find. I'd have to hang on to it. It probably won't be worth anything significant, especially since it appears that the crazies are going to outlaw our little 2-strokes one day. But it would still be something I would treasure and enjoy passing on to my son.
I wouldn't think a thing of it, though, if you ran the poot out of that sucker. That is what they were made for, after all. Certainly you'd take a lot of value off of it if it's ever cranked, just like they said. I personally think 60's and 70's OMC outboards will never be collector's items because the 50's motors are so much better looking and have that "old" look to them.
Sure is a nice motor, though. Are you going to tell us how you came about getting that little jewel?:)
JBJ

wbeaton

Commander

I couldn't bring myself to run it. It would break my heart to see the paint chip as I removed the lower unit and replaced the impeller. However, I'd be just as happy to see someone enjoying it on the water so I guess I have no opinion.

If you do decide to run it, check the coils to make sure they are good.

Those motors command about $375 where I am. Never seen one go for more than $400. Seen lots go for much less. That motor will have more value to an angler than a collector. Who would love it more I can't say.

Good luck with it and thanks for posting.

Vert1go

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you for the input everyone. I kinda get a kick out of the new "Cruise-A-Day" tank too. I don't think I'll be running it - the motor will likely be a display in my office. I appreciate the compliments - it really is a cool little motor. I didn't even clean it or touch it - what you see in the photos is exactly as it came out of the box. :) :)

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you for the input everyone. I kinda get a kick out of the new "Cruise-A-Day" tank too. I don't think I'll be running it - the motor will likely be a display in my office. I appreciate the compliments - it really is a cool little motor. I didn't even clean it or touch it - what you see in the photos is exactly as it came out of the box. :) :)

Still would like to hear "the rest of the story"!

Vert1go

Seaman Apprentice

Still would like to hear "the rest of the story"!

Oh, sorry - almost forgot:

Believe it or not, the engine was discovered on Ebay several months back. I always hesitate to believe anything this old that's claimed as "new", but in this case, the seller was 100% honest.

I was actually looking for a small motor to restore for my office when I came across this one - no restoration needed! I gotta say though, it sure is tempting to use it. Just to even hear it run would be cool.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

My Dad had the exact same motor many years ago on his 20ft sailer as a pusher. Great motor, I think it will appreciate in value in the years to come and it will be an excellent talking point in the office.

Bob547

Seaman Apprentice

Wow, nice find!!!! What was the winning bid? I think it would fire right up. Its like finding King Tut's tomb. A treasure worth preserving.