outboard value?

lyncraft_mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2002 40hp Johnson outboard for sale model number j40plsnf. and am asking around $2600.00. the motor has power trim and tilt and will be sold with 2 Props, shop manual, O/B stand, controls, oil tank and a new plastic gas tank. I bought this motor and only used it about 7 times in 1 season in fresh water, its never been in salt water. Do you think i am asking to much or not enough? whats your opinion?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: outboard value?

unfortunately, yes. they 30-40 hp are an inbetween size, not a big market for them. fishing boats are usually rated smaller, ski boats want more . i have a 93 40 on a small bass boat, rated for a 60, but the 40 is enough to get me there.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

As said, a 40 is a tough seller due to its output and how many boats out there have a 40hp max rating.

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

I just bought a 40 for a lot less money, and it's a great running motor.
I think you're asking too much, especially today.

Just think of the folks trying to sell their nice $20,000 to $50,000 boats
that they bought within the last few years.

The accessories don't mean anything to someone who has them.

Good luck.

JoeCrow

Petty Officer 1st Class

I recently bought a 2002 Merc 125 for $2800
About the average cost I think
A lot more motor for the money

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Yup, too much. I know of a very clean 2001 Johnson 70hp that is for sale at an OMC/BRP dealer right now for $2,000. As others have said, if you already have the accessories, the stuff that you are packaging with it will be of little interest to buyers.

CATransplant

Admiral

Yeah, it's kinda sad how much depreciation happens in the first 10 years of an outboard's life. But...there it is. I don't know what a Johnson 40 hp costs new these days, but when it's 8 years old, it'll be worth way less than half that, no matter how few hours it has on it.

That all makes me think that it might be better to look for boats and motors that have their initial depreciation already taken. There are lots of low-hours rigs out there for sale.

Of course, I go lots farther than that, and end up with 40 year old boats, etc. That's not everyone's cup of tea.

But I don't get the new boat thing, I guess. It doesn't seem worth the big hit you take in value over the next few years.

mthieme

Captain

30-40 HP is perfect for 13-16' skiffs such as Boston Whaler 13', Carolina Skiff 16', McKee 14', etc. There are easily 2 dozen of these little skiffs on my creek alone.
I think your asking price is a little on the high side.
Having the extra goodies makes a nice package that never hurts.
Dunno what part of the Country you're in, but they're very popular here in Chesapeake country....which would make it harder for you to get your asking price hereabouts.

lyncraft_mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class

thank you i appreciate your feedback, i just looked up the NADA value and the motor is valued at $1450.00, alot less than i expected!!!!

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I recently bought a 2002 Merc 125 for $2800
About the average cost I think
A lot more motor for the money

Wow where can I get a deal like that?? Certainly not here in CA :( .

I've got an '88 Johnson 110 VRO that I'm thinking of repowering with a late model 4 stroke or 2 stroke EFI.

mthieme

Captain

thank you i appreciate your feedback, i just looked up the NADA value and the motor is valued at $1450.00, alot less than i expected!!!!

Remember that price from NADA is for average condition.
Yours may be clean as a pin with a complete maintenance log (?) etc.
You also have extra goodies.
These factors enhance the value.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

My opinion on NADA for outboards is that it's almost not worth looking at. Local markets are so varied compared to cars. For instance, it's always amazing to me how the local market where I live really "likes" trolling motors (7.5 - 15 hp) regardless of age, and also likes the "upgrade" motors like 150-250 hp for those who are underpowered with their 100 - 150 HP engines. The 40-100 hp seem to be relatively lower priced on the used market. I'm not saying they have no value, it's just that the other HP ranges sell faster, and therefore probably get a somewhat better price. But it's the selling faster that counts!

But your market might be different - for example if there's lakes or rivers that have a HP restriction that is right in the range you're selling. If such restrictions exist, but they're either lower (say 35 hp) or higher (say 75 hp) than your engine, you will probably be surprised at how hard it is to sell.

The only way you can determine the value of your motor is to look at similar sales locally, either through the used engine racks at the boat stores and/or watching the yellow pages.... and also trying to sell it. It also depends on how much you want to sell it and if you're willing to wait until next spring to get the price you want.

Tough call on an outboard and good luck.