Amended Preliminary Smart tab report.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Seemingly awesome. I was running at 45 mph thru chop that would have beat me to death before. Also I was running on plane at 15 mph indicated where before I would have been dragging the boat's behind. <br /><br />I'll get a little more definitive as I am able to experiment with heavier loads and top speed. I never did open up the throttle all the way. I was so amazed at the ride at 45 mph I just settled for that on this maiden voyage.

aanda6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Amended Preliminary Smart tab report.

I am getting excited. i plan on installing my smart tabs on sunday and only hope I get that kind of performance.

olbuddyjack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congratulations Boom! Glad to see you gettin your prop wet. I'll bet them Smart Tabs weren't the only thing makin you grin... :D <br /><br />Congrats to Son-of-Boom too!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by olbuddyjack:<br /> Congratulations Boom! Glad to see you gettin your prop wet. I'll bet them Smart Tabs weren't the only thing makin you grin... :D <br /><br />Congrats to Son-of-Boom too!
:D :D

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Boomyal, you managed to hang around here for 2 years and 4400 posts before you bought your Smart Tabs? No offense, but what took you so long? :D

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Boomyal;<br /><br />Thanks for the preliminary report, and regardless of how long it took you to try them we are pleased you did.<br />Here is a story from a recentConsumer call.<br />I had a conversation with a consumer and dealer a few days ago which was "A" typical of the prevailing and traditional thinking regarding trim tabs on boat under 25 feet. The consumer had just purchased the new boat and motor six months ago and has not been happy with the overall ride and handling from the very beginning. At this point he was very frustrated. In discussing the problem with his dealer, the dealer said that he had never put trim tabs on any of his boats (under 25') and felt they were totally unnecessary. "These boats get on plane just fine" were his comments. And in my frustration, I said " I bet they all float too", "so why put a motor on them just use a paddle". <br /><br />I regret the sarcasm but after seven years of listening to these comments it is difficult to continue biting my lip.<br /><br />It is sad that the vast majority of manufacturers and their dealers have such a narrow minded criteria for boat performance. If it will plane then it's OK! Not true!!!! It's Not OK!!! There is more to performance than if it will plane. Economy is one thing that sticks out now more than ever with gas at $3.20 per gallon or more.<br /><br />One of our regular customers is US Marine Customer Service Division for Bayliner, Maxum, and SeaRay. They buy our Smart Tabs and GIVE THEM TO UNHAPPY CONSUMERS" to keep them happy. <br />Their engineering department has tested Smart Tabs and admitted that they significantly improve the overall handling and performance. You would think that they might offer them as an option.<br />"Nope" the Marketing Department if afraid that the other manufacturers will use this as an opportunity to say that the Bayliner, Maxum, and SeaRay hulls are not good. Understand that most of the manufacturers fallow this same thinking, and they have been telling the "story" for so long they actually believe it.<br /><br />Do trim tabs (Smart Tabs) really improve the performance, handling , and economy that much? Ask the people who use them! The improvement comes not from rocket science, but from simple mechanical adjustments to the hull design. <br /><br />All boat hulls are deficient and inefficient in design, in one way or another, because the hull is rigid. Trim Tabs simply allow the hull design to be adjusted so that it can be more efficient as the conditions change (weight, balance, speed, or water conditions.) <br /><br />Why do boats have problems getting on plane? Because they are out of balance (by design the stern loaded boats have the CG far to the rear). For acceleration we commonly use a lower pitch prop (lower gear) to climb the hill (get out of the hole). The path of the boat is not forward but UP and forward. Therefore the majority of prop thrust is used to climb the hill until it gets on top. Trim tabs avoid the Hill (hole) and the thrust is used to accelerate forward. We don't have hole shots when we don't have Holes! <br /><br />Once on plane the tabs need to readjust to the new conditions and optimize the performance, ride and handling. There is no other simple way to do it. Now, if you are bent on spending money for a prop , do so with only propulsion in mind.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Sound like we should be saying Congratulations to Boom for another important event. What was it?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Stevens:<br /> Boomyal, you managed to hang around here for 2 years and 4400 posts before you bought your Smart Tabs? No offense, but what took you so long? :D
Stevens, it was only one year and 2200 posts ago that I bought them. It's just that it took that long for my resto project to come to fruition. In other words they have been gathering dust for the last year +. :D <br /><br />They are, however, gonna get a real workout on Saturday. I'll be taking a boatload out for fun and frivolity.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by nautiJohn:<br /> Sound like we should be saying Congratulations to Boom for another important event. What was it?
Check out this link NautiJohn,<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=003454 <br /><br />I may be talking to you about dialing them in. I've got the ST1290's with 80 lb cylinders and they may want to be adjusted down for my medium weight 20 footer. I'll have a better idea after running a boat load this weekend.<br /><br />Also I've got a friend who went out with me on splashdown day. He has been eyeballing my Smart Tabs and was pretty impressed the way the boat handled with them. What do you have for his 24 ft SeaRay with a 351 ford in it? He is not happy with the way it moves out.

phatmanmike

Captain

i put them on my 21 center console with 225 johnny outboard on a 16 inch bracket/ setback.<br /><br />i can now do 52 mph in a chop that would have normally beat the living **** outa me, and just like boom, i can plain at 1800 rpms. worth every penny... and they are shinny too :)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by myoutboards:<br />[QB....] and they are shinny too :) [/QB]
Might have to beat the crows back MyOB's :D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I took the boat out today and ran it for about 4 hours. I still did not have a heavy load nor did any towing sports but two issues were extremely obvious.<br /><br />First I will say that I adjusted the lower brackets to their lowest setting (closest to the transom) I figured that with 80 lb actuators, a medium weight boat and no load in it that that would be an appropriate setting.<br /><br />One thing that I could hardly believe is that during a considerable distance at no wake, displacement running, I could actually get up from the drivers seat and walk around the boat and it would stay on course. I have always had to seesaw away on the wheel to keep the boat on course.<br /><br />The next issue was in tight turns at starting out at 30 mph in calm water then never touching the throttle. And I mean tight turns. As you all know, the OMC Stringer, being a superior outdrive, will allow you to turn your boat almost within it's own length. I cranked the wheel into ever tighter turns until I was creating a whirlpool, the boat almost turning on its own axis, turning round and round and the prop never cavitated. Simply amazing. I wish that I could have been watching the tabs over the transom as that boat was spinning around in its own length.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've got to say boom thats a very interesting test. Would love to have seen video footage of that test. I've got this cartoon picture in my head of Taz doing his tornado bit trying to see how his smart tabs were holding up. Too Funny :) <br /><br />I was most impressed with my quicker planing time, but they also gave me better handling in chop and turns. Also helped me plane with 5 people onboard when it would never do anything but plow under that kind of load before.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

That gives me an idea Wimperdink. I can have someone stand in the middle of the boat, feet wide apart, holding a video camera in a fixed position. It'd probably make you dizzy to watch the video.