How to fix clogged toilet??

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi guys,<br /><br />On our boat, we have a TMC manual toilet that looks like this:<br /><br />
w6000-05.jpg
<br /><br />Today, it was clogged by an overdose of toilet paper. So, a straight forward setup: manual pump, seawater intake, direct discharge, no holding tank, and closable valves on both intake and outlet.<br /><br />Now, I can't find the manufacturer homesite or repair manual anywhere on the net.<br /><br />Any tips on how to fix this without getting too dirty? - apart from calling a plumber?

crab bait

Captain
Re: How to fix clogged toilet??

they have a tool , at hardware stores , about 29 bucs US.. <br /><br />it specific for toilets.. an toilets only.. <br />easy to use,, bust any an all clogs .. fun too :) ..

stevens

You don't mean one of these, do you?<br /><br />
P6150035_125.JPG
<br /><br />But seriously, does anyone know where I should start to take this thing apart?

crab bait

Captain

NOOOOOO..!! <br /> <br />it's a special toilet snake crank thingy..<br /><br />BELIEVE ME scouts honor..

Marc J.

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've had this happen at home a couple of times. I say disassemble the unit until the offensive "clog" can be located and removed by hand or with a garden hose. A place where others can clearly view you and what you're doing would be best. If you slip or become stuck someone will send for help.

stevens

OK, I've done it and it went well (but a dirty job it was).<br /><br />The trick was to first take off the flange on the output side of the pump. It was then possible to clean out the chamber of the pump, as well as the rubber one-way valve inside the outlet hose.<br /><br />Next, screw loose that large white plastic nut that can be seen to the right in the picture above. Used a piece of rubber hose to clean the tube from the bowl and out, and could also then access the underside of the pump.<br /><br />Lots of toilet paper clogged it up completely. I think we've learned a lesson....<br /><br />Oh, any kind of wire or other devise would have been useless, and could potentially have damaged the rubber valves inside the pump. Guess there is no easy fix in this situation.

swist

Stop feeding her the bass you caught 2 months ago...<br /><br />Also, make sure you are using Marine TP. It really is worth the money as it dissolves in water over time. <br /><br />I know this is disgusting but look in the tank of any outhouse using conventional TP and you will be amazed how intact even really old TP still is...<br /><br />Now let's change the subject before I get the runs too...