evinrude 10hp qd-23

coolguy147

Commander
Re: evinrude 10hp qd-23

well the guy at old cheap parts was really nice named dave he really helped a lot and the part he said would about 30$ bucks new and within my budget so about 1/3 of the price so well see lol. and i asked him about my tiller arm and hoping that he well look that up so we will see =D

coolguy147

Commander

ok well i just finished talking to dave at cheap old boats really nice guy. well probably i think the most expensive thing is the tiller handle which im replacing and the throttle gear and some other items but other then that my only other worry is the head gasket which i will proabbly wait on. and im going to readjust my needle vavles and most likely replace the fuel lines.

ok im have a worry about my fuel lines which i wanna replace before i fill my tank up with gas again does brp selll them cause i need new ones..

please get a me a part number please

and what about taking the rust out of my tank and the pump diafram whcih i shoudl replace now

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Good to hear you found a gear and other stuff.

Any OMC dealer should have the fuel and air hose for inside the cowling. It's Bombardier 5/32" fuel hose. Not sure of the part #.

They very likely won't have the double line for the tank though. You might just check with the guy at cheap old boats to see if they sell it. Laingsoutboards.com sells it. It's about $2.00 a foot. The only two places I know of where you can get the tank rebuild stuff is laingsoutboards.com or nymarine.ca. Now an OMC dealer might still be able to get the stuff but I don't know for sure. Cork gasket 302557, diaphragm assembly 376987, screw gaskets 301814 (8).

About rust in the tank. A lot of people have had success dumping a bunch of clean nuts and bolts in the tank with some gas and shaking it around and then dumping it out. There is also a tank sealing treatment that is sold at motorcycle shops that some here have had good luck with. I don't remember the name of the product but a search should turn up something. Good luck!

...................Todd

coolguy147

Commander

well i read soem where that putting bolts and shaking them around isnt that good. but theres this one method out there with baking soda and a battery charger or something

the cheap old boats guy said that they were the same exact hoses and i think i will buy some from him for the fuel thing and he siad they were about 2 dollars each so ya.

the part thing u told me about for my motor acually isnt the same the guy at cheap old boats said that it was a bit longer and taller for the 18hp. thanks god i didnt buy the 90$$ part that i didnt need

sierra parts doesnt make the cork gasket etc?

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

well i read soem where that putting bolts and shaking them around isnt that good. but theres this one method out there with baking soda and a battery charger or something

Yeah, I've never actually tried it myself so can't say for sure. I certainly wouldn't expect it to make the tank nice and shiny clean inside. Just knock off the loose scale and rust. Baking soda and battery charger I've never heard of :eek: .

"the cheap old boats guy said that they were the same exact hoses and i think i will buy some from him for the fuel thing and he siad they were about 2 dollars each so ya.

the part thing u told me about for my motor acually isnt the same the guy at cheap old boats said that it was a bit longer and taller for the 18hp. thanks god i didnt buy the 90$$ part that i didnt need

Well yeah it may be slightly different but I'll wager it would have worked just fine. I'll bet you'd have to compare them side by side to see any difference. Anyway, things worked out well :) .

sierra parts doesnt make the cork gasket etc?

They make the cork gasket only. I cant find any listing for the diaphragm or the bolt seals. I have heard that they used to service all that stuff. So I bet if you could find somebody with a 10 year old Sierra catalog it might be listed. And you might be able to get it. But I can't find a part # for them.

...................Todd

coolguy147

Commander

ok whats all the cork gasket and diegram for and the bolt sealers.
exactly what r they and they do what? like any more part i might have to replace when i open up the gas tank junk inside?

coolguy147

Commander

ok im gonna send the guy the money 2moro and get the item within 3-5 busniess days so heply evyrthing goes ok

i ordered a new tiller handle with the parts that come with it fuel linces for motor and inside the motor he said that they were the same new dirfram gasket for gas tank and the gear throttle control gear so less then 50$

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

The diaphragm is the main thing you're after in there. It's the part that does the actal pumping when you press the primer button. It also seals the two halfs of the tank top/handle assembly. The cork gasket seals the whole top assembly to the tank itself. And the bolt seals seal the 8 screws that hold the top on. The only other thing you might need to worry about in there is the cork float for the gas gauge. They tend to soak up gas and sink just like the cork float in the carburetor. You can use any cork stopper that's the right size. I'm thinking the cork for a Stanley thermos would be perfect. One just needs to drill a hole through the middle and paint it with a fuel proof paint like that used to paint gas powered remote control airplanes.

Sounds like you got a good deal there.

....................Todd

coolguy147

Commander

ya he said that he doesnt have any gasket washers so he said go buy some nylon recommended 1/8" in dia to use sound right?

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, that sounds about right. I'd recommend you just take one of the screws with you and just get some that fit on the screw.

.....................Todd

fix_it

Seaman Apprentice

Good luck on that motor Coolguy. I have been playing with mechanical things, including my grandad's 1957 15hp Evinrude since I was able to hold a wrench. Keep it up, you will learn a lot. Look at everything as a learning experience. Try to do the best you can, even if you have to improvise. Although, there are places where it is not good to improvise.

Anyway, I have had a lot of good times playing with that 15 Evinrude. I remember my grandad going through the coils, recoil, waterpump, and gas tank. I need to do the waterpump again. The gas tank finally rusted a pinhole in the bottom. I put on a fuel pump and now use a plastic tank.

Are you still needing the dual gas/air hose? As a last resort (well, I don't recall that we ever used anything else, or even looked) you can use regular oxy/acetylene torch hose. It is available at any welding supply house. The 1/4" diameter is most common, but there is also 5/16" which you don't want. I am sure that it won't stand up to todays alcohol gas forever, but we have used it for 25 years at least. Now, if you can find the real stuff that would be better. If you can't, then the torch hose will get you up and running.

coolguy147

Commander

ya i ordered 6 foot of hose from the guy so he said that was more then plenty and some other necetsity's

thanks man i wish i had a 15hp cause thats the max rating on my john boat but i guess it might be to much for me :D

ten's enough :)

coolguy147

Commander

ok got my fuel hose double line about 6 feet of it with the diaphram and gasket for the gas tank. also i got a new button and a diaphram support with it

i got the tiller handle and it assecsories throttle pin friction block spring and screw

how do u install these thing im not quite sure the guy sent a diagram of the items and a letter noting how to but i cant read cursive =(

coolguy147

Commander

oh and 2moro im gonna finish pressure washing the gas tank and it works just im using a electric one at 1500 psi since the gas one at 2200 psi broke so its like gonna take much longer

coolguy147

Commander

ok well today i replaced my fuel and air lines. installed the broken gear for my throttle and the tiller handle. all the items work out fine. my gas tank diapram i replaced and installed evyrthing correctly i hope and ahve to wait and test out when i fill up the tank.

im still cleaning the gas tank with the pressure washer but thats the only thing i have left to do on my motor:D

i need plastic/nylon washers 1/8" for the screws that hold the pressure.

ok well i got mostly the the whole motor replaced do u guys think there might be any hint of anything i might to do thats left.

next year around october im gonna replace my water pump and impeller gear oil lub evrything and gernal inspection might clean the carb.

what kind of maitenence things r needed for a 10hp 1959 evinrude motor?

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

ok well today i replaced my fuel and air lines. installed the broken gear for my throttle and the tiller handle. all the items work out fine. my gas tank diapram i replaced and installed evyrthing correctly i hope and ahve to wait and test out when i fill up the tank.

im still cleaning the gas tank with the pressure washer but thats the only thing i have left to do on my motor:D

i need plastic/nylon washers 1/8" for the screws that hold the pressure.

ok well i got mostly the the whole motor replaced do u guys think there might be any hint of anything i might to do thats left.

Nice job! Sounds like you have everything covered. One thing though, I don't remember, did you get a new fuel filter and filter bowl gasket? Those are the only things left that I can think of.

On your tiller handle, keep in mind that when you use the motor on your pontoon with remote controls you'll want to remove the friction block and spring from inside the handle. It tends to make the throttle too stiff if you leave them in. Then put them back in when you use it on the john boat.

"next year around october im gonna replace my water pump and impeller gear oil lub evrything and gernal inspection might clean the carb.

Good plan, Although you might want to drain and refill the lower unit lube a little sooner just to make sure it's not getting water in it. I don't know but doing the water pump impeller every year might be a bit overkill. But then if you use it a lot it wouldn't be a bad plan, they're cheap enough. On cleaning the carb, check your fuel filter. If you're not getting a lot of crud in it, your carburetor is probably going to be just fine.

"what kind of maitenence things r needed for a 10hp 1959 evinrude motor?

Lower unit lube every few weeks (less if it's staying clean), lube grease fittings every few weeks (more often if your in salt water). Change your spark plugs, check and clean your points, change your fuel filter every year, water pump impeller every other year, Inspect your fuel lines regularly, Not much else. You won't have to worry about coils or pulling the flywheel for many years.

.................Todd

coolguy147

Commander

when winter is over i will chnage my gear oil about another 2 months here in florida. the impeller wait till next year before winter and ill replace the water pump housing too. my motor doesnt have a fuel filter instead i notice there is a screen in the gas tank where the pick up line is. a sediment bowl on the carb which noticed was full of rust or black particles from fuel lines. that y im cleaning the tank and replaced the fuel line plus air too.

u know next year or if i have problems with leaking gear case i will probably replace my gears if they look bad but i will defiantly replace the clutch dog so i will have no problems..

and ya before i even read this i did notice with the handle on it was kinda hard to use the remote control box. so i took it off. no wonder y it was off int he first place but i dont know where it went lol. the carb should be fine i guess but if i cant start good if i use the motor a lot and if its not idling probably will replace head gasket and clean carb again and do a decarb also

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

Is it a glass sediment bowl mounted under the carburetor? If so it should have a filter element inside there. There should be a threaded stud sticking down and the filter element is held on by a wide threaded nut. Yeah they do have a screen in the tank pickup and it does help to keep out the larger bugs and stuff but they still need a fuel filter.

Otherwise, sounds like a good plan all around :) !

.......................Todd

coolguy147

Commander

well ya i dont have a filter element in the sediment bowl. all there is was a glass bowl the 2 holes where fuel goes and out and the thing on the out side to hold the glass bowl in place. no filter.

do they sell filters? r they inexpensive? does seirra parts sell them if so i cna just go to napa but i might have to call dave back up =( and spend mroe money