Primer bulb still collapsing

JESSIELSMALL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I changed all fuel lines from the fuel pick up back to the engine of my 1991 200 hp Johnson, also blew through the vent to make sure it was not clogged. I ran open throttle for about 300 yards and the buzzer started to sound. the signal for the overheat and fuel flow is the same,one continuous beep, I was able to hold my hand on each cylinder head a good 3 to 4 second and the pee was warm, so I dont think it is an over heat. I squeezed the bulb the buzz stopped then started again, because when I squeezzed the bulb, it stayed flat. I corrected it and tried again, ran another 200 yards or so and it collapsed agian on its own. I disconnected the primer bulb on the side nearest the tank, it inflated and I connected it back to the line and she brought me back in. Is there any other options, I thought with the changing of the fuel lines and making sure the tank was venting it would have taken care of the problem, any ideas.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Primer bulb still collapsing

disconnecting on tank side, and it inflated, say you still have a problem between the bulb and the tank. clogged pick up tube, anti siphon valve, the bulb inflating says it is not the bulb. could even be a bad connector.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

I wonder if you have a fuel strainer sock on the end of the pickup tube in your fuel tank. If you do, it might be dirty and restricting flow.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Check the anti-siphon valve too.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

it is a fairly simple concept, if it is "sucking" flat, then you have a blockage on the tank side of the bulb, try running with the tank cap off, if it still gives trouble, then check for a "hidden" in line fuel filter that may never been replaced, failing that it could be that the fuel line is too small or is soft and is collapsing when fuel is being pulled through (maybe) or the primer bulb may be faulty of course.

JESSIELSMALL

Petty Officer 2nd Class

disconnecting on tank side, and it inflated, say you still have a problem between the bulb and the tank. clogged pick up tube, anti siphon valve, the bulb inflating says it is not the bulb. could even be a bad connector.

I drained the tank and found the previous owner had dropped a 12in alum rod in the tank and a penny, if either of these gets next to the fuel pick up would the suction be enough to pick either up? I have retrieved the rod, now trying to figure out how to get the penny, it is still submerged in a little gas.

Randyg123

Petty Officer 1st Class

No worries about the penny. With today's economy, it's pretty much non-existent anyways:D

I doubt the pick-up flow rates would be strong enough to lift these items up to clog the inlet, but if they can reach the inlet on their own, then that wouldn't be good. This is a good sign that other stuff could be in the tank. Were you able to remove the entire pick-up assembly to inspect inlet opening, filters, collapsing tubing, kinks, etc? When I first acquired my old boat, it had rusty fuel tanks. The screens on the pick-up inlets in these tanks were clogged with rust and scum. So much so that the engine would only run slowly and would starve at higher rpm.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Did you follow DHadley's advice and check the anti-siphon valve yet? Blowing in to the tank won't help on that matter, it's going the wrong way. The valve prevents fuel from being siphoned out of the tank in case of a leak on the engine side. If it gets stopped, fuel won't flow.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The anti-siphon valve is the connector that screws into the fuel tank. It has an internal ball, and spring. If this gets worn, or dirty it will shut the fuel flow off. Your fuel pump will only pull 2-3 inchs of vacuam, it does'nt take much to shut it off. Your service manual will tell you this, and how to test the system for restrictions, including the anti-siphon valve.

rodsailor

Cadet

Simple test is to buy or borrow a 6 gallon fuel tank and a completely new fuel line with primer bulb, and run that to see if all is OK. I always like to have a spare tank on board anyway as a backup, both for gas supply and problems like these.

Rodsailor

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

If you run it on a 6 gal. tank, don't run it at wide open throttle for very long. Not just any remote tank will feed that 200 at full throttle.

JESSIELSMALL

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you follow DHadley's advice and check the anti-siphon valve yet? Blowing in to the tank won't help on that matter, it's going the wrong way. The valve prevents fuel from being siphoned out of the tank in case of a leak on the engine side. If it gets stopped, fuel won't flow.

anti-siphon is fine there is no ball, I was able to move the item, it was not a penny, it was a paper disk the exact size and thickness of a penny. I am sure the pickup would have enough suction to have picked up this paper disk, right?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Paper would sure get in the way easier than the other stuff.