What's with all the high HP bass boats?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: What's with all the high HP bass boats?

Yeah, I always kinda thought that Spinner had a "badass image". I guess it's the same reason he's a mod . . . :eek: :p :)

Maybe Mercury should just charge for the decals since there is no need for all that power . . .

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i like the ones, where i pay cash.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, I always kinda thought that Spinner had a "badass image". I guess it's the same reason he's a mod . . . :eek: :p :)

Spinner's boat IS badass, I can understand a 225 on that...like I said, it's the little jonboat style boats with 225s that I see that make me :confused:

LubeDude

Admiral

I'm one of those also! 19 1/2' and 200 HP!

This my rig, not as fast and pretty as spinners but it will hit 70 with the right load and prop! I normally run it at about 40-45 MPH as that is about 4,000 RPM and is a sweet spot. But when I want to put the hammer down I can! I also had a corvete when I was younger so I like speed and sometime have the need still!!!

resize1.jpg

QC

Supreme Mariner

No prah, Mike. Just poking some fun at JB and Spinner. Where I boat, I've seen twin 300s on a 'toon . . . :eek:

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No prah, Mike. Just poking some fun at JB and Spinner. Where I boat, I've seen twin 300s on a 'toon . . . :eek:

:eek: is right!

CATransplant

Admiral

I have no problem with folks owning fast boats at all. More power to 'em, so to speak. My point was that, for a lot of people, not everyone, it's all about buying the hype.

The two guys who were unclear on the concept of bass fishing that I talked about are who I mean. They watch the TV shows and think that bass are caught with a couple of casts. No bite, move on. After all, that's what they show on the tournament shows, right?

That's fine with me, if they want to spend the money, although I'd rather they didn't come off plane 100' from me when I'm fishing. That's a little annoying. But I had a good laugh, so it's OK.

SpinnerBait_Nut

I see your point CAT.
Never in my years of fishing, tournament or otherwise have I done that.
If I get to where I had planned on fishing and someone is there, I just ease on by to the next spot.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

i had a 18ft stratos older hull with 225 venom for a while
boat ran 65 all day long and had less than 5000s in it
2000 for boat it was mint came with jack plate and trailer kevlar hull 150 merc was blown i bought a venom with good comp for 2500
fully mainteneced i had five in it it rode like a dream and was pretty fast
whished i would have kept it but a guy i fish with wanted it after i had it for two years .gave me 5500 and a 25 yamaha tiller for it
still should have kept it gambler nice boat any mods on the merc
or is it stock hard to tell with the new cowls

CATransplant

Admiral

I see your point CAT.
Never in my years of fishing, tournament or otherwise have I done that.
If I get to where I had planned on fishing and someone is there, I just ease on by to the next spot.

Right. That's what all considerate anglers do. Sadly, there are a bunch of folks who don't fit that definition. I was more amused than angered by those guys, though. I guess they think that the pros fishing the tournaments catch a keeper bass every time they cast. That's what it looks like on ESPN, certainly.

I've only fished in one tournament, a local amateur one with about 50 boats. Believe me, I had the smallest boat there. Not a lot of tournament guys in 12' aluminum boats, I guess. :D

Off they went, in a spray of wakes, while I putted around the point at the end of the launch ramp cove. I caught a nice 3 pounder off that point. Then, I fished the weedlines nearby. I ended up in third place, and never got a mile from the ramp.

Boats don't catch fish. Anglers catch fish. Still, I guess tournament fishing is fun, but it's not my cup of tea.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Some boats I see seem a little redundant, but again, that is just my opinion. If I had the money, I would be setting it down on an 18 foot Javelin with a Johnson 150 some has for sale near here. In my opinion, an 18 foot boat is big enough to fish large water well, with 2 people, but isn't just a lot of extra space. And, the 150 pushing it at 55 - 60 is a reasonable speed, as to me, the extra speed is not worth the money. Now, some people need more space, and that is where the 21 footers lie. Also, some feel more of a need for speed, and that is where the optimax 275 is. But me, an 18 with a 150 would make me perfectly happy, and my 15 with a 40 is tolerable. Some people, on the other hand, would feel that the 21 with the 275 makes them perfectly happy, and the 18 with the 150 is livable, but they still feel cramped and held back.

SpinnerBait_Nut

gambler nice boat any mods on the merc
or is it stock hard to tell with the new cowls
Benny, that is a new powerhead with less than 20 hours on it and the only thing done to it was some adjustment to where I could run 87 Octane instead of 93.

bhammer

Ensign

There's a toon at the lake I go to just like that. He has two 225HP OB on the back of it. It sure keeps up with the jones out on the lake too. He said it was a custom High Performance toon. :eek:

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

bassboy1 that javlin is a 70 + boat its a little rocket ship i had one for 3 years but my wife didnt like it only one windshild i miss it everyday and would trade my ranger even up to get it back so if ya can get it still i would and it handles like a dream turns on a dime and can run over jet fles

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I agree that the current fascination with 70 mph fishing boats is a product of the bass tournament circuit. For them, there are two primary reasons to feature insanely fast boats - advertising dollars and boredom prevention. The engine manufacturers want to sell $20,000 motors and the boat manufacturers want to sell $30,000 boats, and both will pay dearly for the ad time. Plus, the tournaments are smart enough to know that audiences will get bored, if the only thing to see is a bunch of guys standing around on the deck of a boat fiddling with a trolling motor. Because of this, they inject the feel of an aquatic grand prix race into the equation to spice things up.

I have absolutely zero interest in "go fast" boats but don't care if others want them. All I ask is that they operate them responsibly and my every day experience is that private opreators of high powered bass boats generally do that. It is the tournamant groups that I get cranky with, because from what I have seen of them, they don't give a damn about safety. They talk a good line of you know what, but in actual practice they do what they want.

heycods

Captain

Back in Jan when I boutht my new 18' CC xpress, I wanted a 70 hp yammie, it had a 90 on it, the guy said the90 was only 500 bux more, so I left it on. Then gas started jumping in price, wish I had got the 70 hp now. I dont envy the go fast boys now!!!!!!!!!!

jbjennings

Captain

They're ALL WRONG!!! Those guys get the big motors because they make more noise when they take off and go down the lake in order to drive me nuts as they begin the bass tournament they schedule on opening day of duck season every year on the small lake behind my home that has a duck blind every 250 yards.:eek::p I did drive my best friends "new" bass rig recently with a 150 merc on it and it scared the poo out of me. Even with no wind and proper trim I just am not accustomed to doing 55 or 60 on the water. And that rascal guzzles the gas. He's a doctor and even he complains about the gas mileage.

mtduckhunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

I really like these high performance and high priced bass boats. if i had $60K to spend on a boat i would buy one in a heartbeat.

they make fishing so much more comfortable, i fished out of a 1432 jon boat for a couple years, then i got a bigger fiberglass boat (not a bass boat) and it made fishing alot easier. but they aint going to help you catch more fish.

one of my dads buddies just bought a 2008 bass cat, 20 ft with a 250 mercury, he got it up to 84 MPH!! but hes one of those guys that bass fishes everyday!!

i like speed also! :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

When they get up there and go to chine walking then you can drive on through it, you will know it.
It can be scary to a person that has never felt it, but once you have and drive on through it, your hooked.
My boat is old, but still in great shape.
It will spin up to 6200 RPM with the 225 and torque master lower unit.
At 5550 RPMs, it will run 70 GPS all day.
That is plenty for me.
I never bought the boat for speed anyway, just got it for a great fishing platform. Huge front deck that 3 people could fish from if they wanted.
It's just me and the wife and it works great for us.
But I will concur, there are plenty of people out there with them that all they want to do is do things to them to make them go faster.

mtduckhunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

what exactly is chine walking?