1979 18’ Starcraft Supersport Resurrection (warning – lots of pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1979 18? Starcraft Supersport Resurrection (warning ? lots of pics)

What year 85?

The reason I ask is I top out at 38 mph with an 1981 115 Evin. Doesn't matter if I run a 19p, 17p or 15p, I get 38 mph (at different rpm's).

But, given I have no plate and no serial # on my motor and am judging the HP based solely on the cowling that was on it when I bought it, I'm still unsure of the hp I'm running.

But if you get 39 with a newer 85, then that would be about the same as an older 115.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I get about 38 mph on my 16' with an old '73 85.

hemidoc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ya'll are getting plenty of speed. Anything over 35 is haulin'. I rode on a ship whose top speed was 20 knots and it had five v-12s and three v-8s.

Again nice job Joey. Did you go to lanier or allatoona?

Lanier is still low so I'll stay away. I'm Sticking with Oconee or Alatoona

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

Again nice job Joey. Did you go to lanier or allatoona?

Lanier is still low so I'll stay away. I'm Sticking with Oconee or Alatoona

Allatoona. We launched at Kellogg Creek. Took the 'ski to Galt's Ferry on Sunday, as a break from working on the boat. Great place to launch, and a huge beach, but overcrowded w/ rude people. We had enough of that place for a while. Plus, I beached the 'ski on a newly-formed reef and may have overheated it. It wasn't a good day.

I just got the Merc OB manual (on CD) yesterday, and will probably start on the carbs today. Hopefully be out again in the boat this weekend.

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We had a 1975 SS with a 1979 115 Johnson on it, it topped out at 40 mph, the person we bought the boat from had a 140hp Johnson on it but said it was more motor than the boat needed.

That boat cracked the Aluminum at the end of each inside ribs, for about 12 of the center ribs. I see your 1979 version has the little supports running from the end of the ribs to the side of the boat to fix that problem.

Nice job fixing it.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

Just got done cleaning the carbs - they were pretty nasty. Main jets were very clogged w/ black gunk. I guess that's oil left behind after the gas evaporates. Had to dunk 'em.

Also, the floats were too low by 1/8 of an inch, so adjusted those w/ my digital caliper. That's encouraging..... means it wasn't getting enough gas at full throttle. With 19% slip (what I was getting at 4400 RPM), I should be at 34 MPH @ 5500RPM. I bet I can get 30-32.

Reassemble tomorrow, adjust idle mixture and such, then back out on the lake for a test run.

BTW, these carbs are super easy to work on. Nothing like the Constant Velocity deals that motorcycles use. Whole disassembly/cleaning/reassembly process took about 3 hours.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant
Re: 1979 18’ Starcraft Supersport Resurrection (warning – lots of pics)

Re: 1979 18’ Starcraft Supersport Resurrection (warning – lots of pics)

Great job!

I loved the lines of that boat before you started the project, and now, well lets just say, it just got better & better.

You did just what was needed to bring it back to it's former glory, without adding anything that would detract from it. A classic example, of the perfect restoration.

Congratulations!

Have fun, and be proud of what you accomplished.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

After the carb cleaning & reassembly, I took her out again Thursday afternoon w/ the wife.

Performance with the 60hp Mercury:
With just us two in the boat, and about 3 gal of fuel, we hit 33.0 mph on the GPS (32mph on the way back). That's with a 10.5X13p prop. RPM's were unknown - my tach had us at 4800 at 3/4 throttle. Full throttle it dropped to around 4600 (and yes, the engine sped up, and we picked up speed). Don't know what's up with that. This is after playing with the trim, also. I may move to a 10 7/8X11 prop for watersports and if we make a habit of bringing friends with. Although I might want a larger engine in the future, but this one's fine for now.
StarcraftMaidenVoyage009.jpg

Interior:
Splashwell Area:
I made a "sunken floor" so I'd have a little extra room. Battery and trim pump went there. Battery got a main cutoff switch from Harbor Freight, then 2 20A circuits (yellow wires) go to the starboard dash for power distribution. Control cables are 15', and had to be coiled since they were too long (ebay, so not a perfect fit). I tossed the steel Mirax gas tank for these 2 plastic ones. While the Mirax has a fuel sender in it and was filled from a cap in the splashwell, it was just too big and I was also afraid of it leaking, being so rusty.
Starcraft001-1.jpg

Console area:
Gunwale covers were originally gray, and that was too much gray for the interior. I painted them white with satin acrylic latex ($8/gal at Wally-Mart.... I couldn't pass that up). Dash panels are 3/4" pressure-treated plywood (left over from transom) and were epoxy coated, then painted w/ the white latex. I would not do this again. It turned out OK, but carpet would've been better, or take a sheet of plexiglass, paint the back of it, and have that cover the wood. It just gets dirty quick.

I may add a glovebox to the port side dash. Haven't decided yet.

Starcraft002-1.jpg

Trim:
I used Krylon Fusion to paint any plastic. This included the rub rail and plastic trim on the cleats. The bow rail hardware was originally chrome plated aluminum. The chrome and aluminum had reacted over the past 30 years, causing the chrome plating to flake off. I couldn't remove them as they fused with the rail tubing. So, they got masked and painted.
Starcraft003-1.jpg

Starcraft004.jpg

Electrical:
2 20A circuits are fed from a master cutoff switch at the battery. They branch into 2 10A circuits each at the dash, through a fuse holder. Each circuit is switched by a dash-mounted lighted switch. I have 2 speakers for the stereo, 1 under each console. There's an AUX in for an iPod, and it has a power antenna. Horn button is there, just have to mount the horn. And yes, I'll clean up this wiring w/ some zip ties.
Starcraft005-1.jpg

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

Can't think of much else.....

Although no project like this is ever "done," I think 99% of the stuff I had planned for her has been finished. Future plans (this winter) are a homemade canvas bimini top and some type of platform or ladder for reboarding. I may go for a dual battery setup also. I'm also going to make a platform for the bow w/ a swivel seat for fishing.

For now, I'm just going to enjoy the rest of the summer with it. Thanks again for all the advice along the way.

Starcraft006-1.jpg

Starcraft009.jpg

StarcraftMaidenVoyage021.jpg

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

Oh, almost forgot to list total costs. I kept a sheet w/ all major (>$5) expenses on it. Here's the condensed version:

Boat, motor & trailer: $0 (traded for old riding mower my dad gave me)
Used craigslist trailer & trailer refurb (lights, bunks, paint, registration): $254
Transom & deck (wood, rivets, galv screws): $167
Hull (paint, 5200) & interior (trim, paint, SS hardware): $115
Engine parts (impeller), electrical (switches and new battery), and GA DNR registration: $123

Grand total: $659 :D

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Starcraft001-1.jpg

Something I've been meaning to ask about your stern.

You look to have two "boxes" that I don't have. One on either side of the stern outboard of the fuel tanks. Is that support for the splashwell or what??? Mine id a bit more open .

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

Something I've been meaning to ask about your stern.

You look to have two "boxes" that I don't have. One on either side of the stern outboard of the fuel tanks. Is that support for the splashwell or what??? Mine id a bit more open .

They're sheet aluminum, filled with styrofoam for floatation. They don't actually ever touch the splashwell; they're only attached to the floor.

I suppose I could've left them out, but I bet I'd regret it if the boat ever started to go under. It's my first boat; I err'ed on the cautious side.

Willyclay

Captain

Way to go Joey! You have great vision of what can be done and the patience to do it right. I know your Dad is proud of you. Good luck!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Very respectable performance for a 60 horse. Your list of total costs makes me sad knowing what I've put into mine. I think I spent $600 in one order to BassPro for seats and carpet! It's all worth it though when you're out buzzing around the lake in a boat you basically built yourself :)

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

They're sheet aluminum, filled with styrofoam for floatation. They don't actually ever touch the splashwell; they're only attached to the floor.

I suppose I could've left them out, but I bet I'd regret it if the boat ever started to go under. It's my first boat; I err'ed on the cautious side.

Nope. Don't got em. Have to see pictures of other boats to see if mine were removed or what.

I think I like the extra room. I will rely on under-the-floor foam for flotation.

That's really good speed for a 60. Like I said somewhere else, I could get 28 out of a 70 and figured with work I could get 30. I'd be happy with that.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Joey, you really need to create a condensed, picture laden, version of this thread to post in the completed projects section. You did a great job and this would be an incredible resource for anyone doing an aluminum boat.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks man. TD PM'd me earlier about it; I PM'd him back and said I'm about done.

Only moderators can post in that section (I think). We'll see in a few days.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

(not sure if I should ask this here)

Can this thread be left alone and a clone of it shortened up for the completed project forum? I'd hate to see comments lost in the transition.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

I think the mods are working on it. I was thinking the same thing - have a condensed version in the projects forum, and keep this thread open for comments/updates.

Just installed my fishfinder today, and ordered a new starter solenoid from iboats marine store last night. The Advance Auto Parts solenoid I installed earlier (made for a lawn tractor) failed after about 3 hours of being vibrated to death on my Mercury. The coil shorted to ground, thus blowing the main fuse every time I tried to start it. Luckily, it didn't leave us stranded out on the lake, just at the ramp dock. I bought a Sierra brand made for my engine; hopefully it'll be a little heavier duty.

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let me just say "Thank You" for not only doing a GREAT job, but doing it Right as well. SO many people want to rush stuff like this and the end results are less than acceptable. BTW, while you and your dad were discussing the carbs and looking at each other, who was watching where you were going??

Status
Not open for further replies.